• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Early January Major/Potential Record Cold

Hoosier

Here's a comparison between this morning's surface map and the morning surface map from January 19, 1994.  As you can see, January 1994 had much better radiational cooling conditions in some areas as the surface high was centered in the Ohio Valley.  Had this occurred this time, low temps might've approached those levels.

post-14-0-02582700-1389120572_thumb.gif

post-14-0-18791400-1389120589_thumb.png

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was -24C this morning at YYZ. Its even more impressive when you factor in the Windchills, lol. 

And in regards to your statement, I disagree. Its possible we could see another cool down after Jan 20th. The extent is still unknown but the models want to reload the -EPO/+PNA pattern around Jan 16th-Jan 18th which should ensure another colder pattern settling in to end the month off. Alot of uncertainty on how the AO/NAO will evolve through the coming weeks. I shall look into that later today. 

Yep looks like a potential repeat in another couple weeks. January is really the only time you can really get this cold, though, so it's now or never.

It was -24C this morning at YYZ. Its even more impressive when you factor in the Windchills, lol. 

And in regards to your statement, I disagree. Its possible we could see another cool down after Jan 20th. The extent is still unknown but the models want to reload the -EPO/+PNA pattern around Jan 16th-Jan 18th which should ensure another colder pattern settling in to end the month off. Alot of uncertainty on how the AO/NAO will evolve through the coming weeks. I shall look into that later today. 

Just so there's not misunderstanding, I agree we're going to cool down after the torch this weekend, but I think today will be the coldest day of the year. This is 1/2 decade type cold so I don't think my prediction is too controversial.

Looks like the lowest wind chill at LAF was -40F, though with hours of missing data it's possible it went lower at some point.  The lowest wind chill in the 1994 outbreak was -44F.  These readings are based on the newer wind chill scale.  They'd be more like -60F to -65F on the old scale.

Just so there's not misunderstanding, I agree we're going to cool down after the torch this weekend, but I think today will be the coldest day of the year. This is 1/2 decade type cold so I don't think my prediction is too controversial.

I wouldn't be surprised to go years without hitting -19℉ again, that's like hitting 100℉ in the summer. It took from 1988 to 2012 to repeat that temp.

I wouldn't be surprised to go years without hitting -19℉ again, that's like hitting 100℉ in the summer. It took from 1988 to 2012 to repeat that temp.

Detroit hit 100 in 1995 and 2011. Its not all that rare.

That's just shy of the range between this cold snap and those heatwaves. I failed to locally hit 100 either of those times, but I hit -19 or worse yesterday and 1994.

My mother just sent me this photo, That's a double paned pella window, just shattered from the prolonged cold, pretty incredible stuff. She lives in a rural area outside of Champaign. She's a little ticked off to say the least, those windows are fairly new.

Called a glass guy for the same reason today... Of course, I close on the sale of my house in 11 days, so a broken window was the last thing I needed.

Yep looks like a potential repeat in another couple weeks. January is really the only time you can really get this cold, though, so it's now or never.

That's false, most of the all-time low records for both my area and northern Ontario have been set in February. Toronto shouldn't be any different.

JB is hinting that the cold could reload after the thaw and is showing maps to back up his ideas.

Ryan Maue as well, starting to post maps showing the next polar vortex in the medium-long range. I've been reading Ryan's twitter feed by far the most, the best currently. I'm in favor of another PV since that always means a lot of snow for myself (lakes).

Archived