joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early January Major/Potential Record Cold

Hoosier

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-8.0° at my PWS,  lowest I've ever recorded in my generally sheltered inner-city locale. The urban heat island is no match for the cold hand of old man winter.

Coldest weather here in the city since 1994. A few years back it made it to -10° at DTW but only -3-4° here. There are some marginally hardy flowering shrubs in my yard I planted in the past several years that might not make it out of this alive.

-8.0° at my PWS,  lowest I've ever recorded in my generally sheltered inner-city locale. The urban heat island is no match for the cold hand of old man winter.

Coldest weather here in the city since 1994. A few years back it made it to -10° at DTW but only -3-4° here. There are some marginally hardy flowering shrubs in my yard I planted in the past several years that might not make it out of this alive.

No such thing as UHI in a tundra environment in the face of CAA like this. Down to -12 / -38 now at KARB. Rafters are making contraction popping sounds here. That's how I can tell when -10 has been reached. Happened in 2009 too but not at 7PM in the evening...

Flight got canceled 5 min before departure (which was already delayed by 3 hours after I had already gotten to the airport. )

Anyway, can confirm the -37 windchill at DTW. Waiting for a shuttle sucked ass. Next level cold when it gusted.

Going to be some ridiculous temperature spreads today in Ohio. I'm hoping one of these can pull off a 60 degree swing. You'd think this has got be one of the biggest spreads on record for these sites.

Youngstown (YNG)

High 46

Low -6 (through 7pm)

Akron-Canton (CAK)

High 45

Low -6 (through 7pm)

Consecutive hourly (or top of the hour) readings of -10º or lower today....through 6:00pm CST/7:00pm CST

FWA: 12

IND: 13

MDW: 14

MKE: 15

ORD: 15

SBN: 11

Note: IND had a weird bump in temps between 1:00 and 2:00pm. But we're only doing top of the hour readings. :guitar:

1:09pm: -11.2º

1:22pm: -9.4º

1:43pm: -11.2º

Flight got canceled 5 min before departure (which was already delayed by 3 hours after I had already gotten to the airport. )

Anyway, can confirm the -37 windchill at DTW. Waiting for a shuttle sucked ass. Next level cold when it gusted.

Man, that sucks. Hopefully no problems with arrivals. I have a friend who is supposed to be back in town a little after 10PM. Hilariously, he's returning from vacation where it was in the 80's yesterday...

At 7pm DTW was -10F, blowing snow, and breezy, tying (and soon breaking) todays record low of -10F from 1999. Tomorrows unusually "mild" record of -5F from 1942 will be shattered.

1999 at this point was really amazing too. Actually reminds me a LOT of the first half of that month.

Noticed some clouds moving in from the west. Hoping that help keep temperatures up.

Take care IndyMeso - hope your power comes back on real soon!

A few pictures I took along the lakefront between Kenosha and Racine. Plan to get some better ones in the morning.

post-7389-0-75120500-1389054899_thumb.jp

post-7389-0-87509500-1389054913_thumb.jp

SnowFreak you should send that picture in! Gorgeous colors!

-35F WC when I snapped this pic! Hands were numb after 2 minutes of snapping a few pics

Beautiful shot, Josh. So that is what the sun looks like... :P

Wow, classic winter sunset.

Great pic.

I was just in your area twice over Christmas. My wife's sister and family just moved to Moon (up the hill from Moon Park). I got to witness the small snowstorm there last week. Do you guys have any snow left?

Noticed some clouds moving in from the west. Hoping that help keep temperatures up.

Take care IndyMeso - hope your power comes back on real soon!

A few pictures I took along the lakefront between Kenosha and Racine. Plan to get some better ones in the morning.

attachicon.gif140106_0002.jpg

attachicon.gif140106_0003.jpg

SnowFreak you should send that picture in! Gorgeous colors!

I feel cold just looking at these pics. I need to break them out in July.

I haven't dared to step outside yet into the elements since sundown to feel just how frigid it is outside,  but I kind of want to just to say I know what a ~40 below wind chill feels like.

Archived