Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Early January Major/Potential Record Cold

Hoosier

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-14 / -41  here at 8PM. Already at my point low for the night.  :yikes:  Looking southwest there's still a degree or two to be shed at least.

Would not be surprised at all to see DTW get down to -15, ARB usually is a few degrees colder so I can see them getting to truly frigid levels of like -18 or so.

Would not be surprised at all to see DTW get down to -15, ARB usually is a few degrees colder so I can see them getting to truly frigid levels of like -18 or so.

Usually that relies on ARB's radiational cooling prowess. I wouldn't be surprised if they match up pretty closely tonight unless the wind slacks considerably.

Wow temperature has dropped like a stone since 6pm. Down to about 2F now. Winds ripping, easily 25-30 mph sustained.

Getting into some lake effect action now. MASSIVE bands off Huron. Looks intense out there visibility way down.

CWevwBV.png

So you've never experienced anything lower than 0°? EDIT: What a minute that was West Coaster that said that. Thought that was you earlier.

We lost power about an hour ago... temps are dropping quickly in the house. The worst of the storm :(

Back on! I don't generally get nervous for a lot of things but when the house dropped internally 6 degrees in 30 minutes, I was really nervous. Was just about to pack up and try to dig out my car when it came back on. Thankful.

Back on! I don't generally get nervous for a lot of things but when the house dropped internally 6 degrees in 30 minutes, I was really nervous. Was just about to pack up and try to dig out my car when it came back on. Thankful.

That's great news. And with it being this cold, nervous wouldn't be close, more like panic attacked!

Not kidding... I just saw a video on my wife's facebook... a kid was out in this frigid crap, making snow angels, DRESSED IN PAJAMA SHORTS!?!?!??!? It lasted about 10 seconds before the kid went screaming (literally) back in the house. People really are head cases anymore!

They're the same ding dongs who will sue because the pajamas weren't thick enough to keep them warm.....

Not kidding... I just saw a video on my wife's facebook... a kid was out in this frigid crap, making snow angels, DRESSED IN PAJAMA SHORTS!?!?!??!? It lasted about 10 seconds before the kid went screaming (literally) back in the house. People really are head cases anymore!

What a great way to lose a toe or something.

Earlier I seen some kid walking to the store in a hoodie and jeans.

Light Snow and temps at -9 crazy

The Rocky Mountains can get accumulations at -10 to -30F, (very low precipitable water,) even if it's not many inches. Why not low-altitude spots? Mt. Everest probably gets snow at -60F.

Gilbertfly--- wonder if 1899 or 1982 or 1918 has that record (of number of states with all places 0F).  It might be difficult to compare that directly to the situation 100 years ago, when there weren't hour-by-hour observations at so many different places.

Edit

486dm (4860meter)  1000-500 thicknesses at eastern Michigan. Never seen that. That would rival the thicknesses in the 1982 cold wave.

So you've never experienced anything lower than 0°? EDIT: What a minute that was West Coaster that said that. Thought that was you earlier.

I was out of town during the last cold snap last week, and only moved to Ontario in April 2011 (before I lived in between Vancouver and Victoria and also north western Washington state) so 0F is all she wrote for me (so far)!

I know there was a cold snap last January but I remember it didn't go below 0F downtown

Archived