Newest Member
    Toothache
Early January Major/Potential Record Cold

Hoosier

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are exactly where we should be. Models had us between -13 and -15 C at 10PM

Winds have picked up, clouds have moved in with the precip, and dews have shot up, so naturally temps have stalled or gone up a bit. Once this band clears out, radiative cooling can work its magic. The coldest 850s haven't even made it into the region yet. 

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it!

I once again spent the day at the Emergency Operations Center. I haven't had a chance to begin to catch up on all of the posts here, so this might have already been mentioned, but I wanted to note an interesting observation.

From 9 am (when I arrived) until at least 7 pm, the temperature on our Davis station remained at -11 or -12, with wind chills between -30 to -37 for the whole 10 hour period. Quite a stretch of consistent temps.

Consecutive hourly (or top of the hour) readings of -10º or lower today....through 10:00pm CST/11:00pm EST

FWA: 16

IND: 17

MDW: 17 (has ended at 10:00pm)

MKE: 19

ORD: 19

SBN: 15

Current temps

FWA: -12º

IND: -14º

MDW: -9º

MKE: -12º

ORD: -11º

SBN: -11º 

Temp still slowly rising.  Up to -8 now, which is the new high for the day.  Was -11 at midnight, dropped to -17 around 7am. 

On paper this won't look all that impressive relative to past events here.  However, the winds combined with the subzero readings made for some very bad wind chills.  Definitely the coldest wind chills I've seen here since we started the new scale.

Vid I shot earlier this evening taking boiling water and throwing it into the subzero air.

Sounded like the beginning of Thriller with the creaking door. And nice short term whiteout. :D

KTIM taking LAF to the shed right now, which is strange. -11.4º here vs -10º at the airport.

Yes, the time is off by three hours.

All day long, my point forecast said a low of -6F. We dropped quite a ways beyond that at KFNT, to -14F. I'm hoping the next two nights are actually a bit warmer than forecast. This extreme cold is hard on everything, especially me.

The creaks, moans and pops in the attic, trees and even the ground outside, for that matter, are just plain freaky. I'd love to sleep as I haven't slept well the last four days because of this storm because it's had my nerves just shot. We've had a lot of weather-induced damages at our house over the last couple years and I can't help but be concerned. Yeah, we've got homeowner's Insurance, but still.

I had one frozen pipe in our laundry room, the cold water pipe to the washer and utility sink, which runs inside the outside wall and tees off to the outside spigot. I set a portable heater on the washer and aimed it toward that corner. Thawed it in about an hour. I found it when I went to open the faucets on the utility sink and there was no cold water coming out. Thankfully, the pipe didn't rupture. I must have caught it not long after it froze.

And I'll tell you what, it's done me no favors as far as aches and pains are concerned. They're about off the scale. Next month's energy bill is probably gonna give me a stroke.

I keep thinking of Lewis Black's bit about the Slavic people settling in MN... "This is $#!t, Vlad!" 

We've stayed steady around -13 so far through the overnight, we ran about 5 degrees above our record low yesterday and we won't get close to the record today, but still the coldest it's been here since Jan 1999. The wind chills sure make up for it though, still around -30 to -40.  My car barely wanted to start this morning, sputtered out on me a few times... hoping she'll stay good for a return trip home...

We've stayed steady around -13 so far through the overnight, we ran about 5 degrees above our record low yesterday and we won't get close to the record today, but still the coldest it's been here since Jan 1999. The wind chills sure make up for it though, still around -30 to -40.  My car barely wanted to start this morning, sputtered out on me a few times... hoping she'll stay good for a return trip home...

Yeah, I'm kinda concerned about our ancient minivan. I already know it'll need the battery charged. I tested the antifreeze after a blowout this past summer, it was okay down to about -15. We hit -14 tonight. Gotta really be aware of fuel line freeze ups in this cold weather too. We filled it up before the snow hit, so that should be okay. I guess I'll see when I get out later. I haven't been outside since Sunday evening, frankly. 

Archived