Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, it has subfreezing temperature’s driving all the way to the AL/GA border at 1pm Saturday while precip is falling over the area.

Yep, 28-30 F gets all the way back to ATL and AHN for the first 0.50" or so of the rain on 2/8 before it warms into the 30's and above for the heaviest part of the event on 2/9. What is sig. is that this is the first run in a while getting any of the ZR down to ATL-AHN. Let's see if that is the start of a new trend.

His tweets today from this morning have backed off and he says wintry for TN,KY, VA and points north. Someone has posted them in banter , I believe

If you read the context of what he's saying; it wasn't the whole month it was the potential short term events this weekend early-mid next week.  The possibilities are still there; nothing was said specifically about doom and gloom unlike some on here are posting. 

Yep, 28-30 F gets all the way back to ATL and AHN for the first 0.50" or so of the rain on 2/8 before it warms into the 30's and above for the heaviest part of the event on 2/9. What is sig. is that this is the first run in a while getting any of the ZR down to ATL-AHN. Let's see if that is the start of a new trend.

For the record, MeteoStar isn't as bullish for N GA as my provider's 18Z gfs 2 meter map it has the coldest for ATL at 34-35. Also, for GVL and AHN, it has only a small amount of ZR before warming above 32 for the bulk of it. CAE is similar. GSP/HKY have a good bit more ZR although even there it warms above 32 for a decent part of it per the 18Z GFS.

Regardless, this is the coldest run for many CAD areas of the last four runs.

From what I gathered from Robert's free stuff and others' comments, he was pretty much all in on substantial winter weather for the southeast in February.  Nobody expected winter precip for all events, but it sure sounded like most everyone in the southeast, especially northern sections still had the bulk of winter in front of them.  Again, this was just what I gathered on my own and NOT from Robert's paid site.

As for the 18z and next weekend, I do not see a "classic" CAD setup.  To me, classic cad has a locked in hp and wintery precip, at least this time of year, would continue throughout the event for the best CAD locations.  The setup as depicted on the 18z GFS does not show this.  I really hope things change and we get a big "somethng", anything but rain.

TW

For the record, MeteoStar isn't as bullish for N GA as my provider's 18Z gfs 2 meter map it has the coldest for ATL at 34-35. Also, for GVL and AHN, it has only a small amount of ZR before warming above 32 for the bulk of it. CAE is similar. GSP/HKY have a good bit more ZR although even there it warms above 32 for a decent part of it per the 18Z GFS.

Regardless, this is the coldest run for many CAD areas of the last four runs.

Hopefully the trend will continue.  Might want to see the lp not so wound up as well.

TW

Regardless, this is the coldest run for many CAD areas of the last four runs.

Yessir. The accuweather pro site had Atlanta never getting below freezing. U basically described what I extrapolated from there.

I should have learned this from last year, considering how the southeast had similar problems, but without an active southern stream plus blocking, its just too hard to get a real se storm. The last two years have really made that evident. Simply not going to look for anything substantial, over a couple inches until we have those two items in place. The northern stream just doesnt cut it.

Sorry but who is "our"? Is this the NWS, Rays weather center, you and some buddies? Just curious, Thanks.

We look at a weighted blend of the ensemble mean contours and adjust the weighting between the models based on a scoring matrix that gives preference to which specific model has a better handle on the pattern at any given point in time. Overall synoptics are taken into consideration along with local climateology for the current relative time of the meteorological season.

When an event is imminent or in progress, the judgement of NWS GSP and RNK is highly valued and respected as they have superb skills in local guidance on winter events in Western North Carolina. You better have a sound reason to go against their guidance.

And yes, general paid source guidance from other pros such as WxSouth, Wright Weather, Weatherbell, and Accuweather is also considered in formulating an action plan. Non paid sources such as WxBrad, Time Warner Cable Mets, Rays Weather and RaleighWx among others are also taken into consideration.

A conservative approach is maintained and wish-casting is not a part of the process. You have to call it as it is as accurately as you can. Drumming up banter on hopes for this solution or that solution only because it could give us snow is not a part of an accurate forecast and responsible business plan.

When business decisions have to be made that impact the reliability of customer service and have a direct impact on the bottom line, it pays to do your homework.

And now back to regularly scheduled programming ;-)

Can't you have a split flow without blocking? If so, couldn't you get a pretty good storm by getting southern stream energy to go along with a northern jet?

TW

You don't have to have blocking for a split flow, but to have an active southern jet and not having the highs stay in place( due to blocking) the highs that need to stay in a good location, slide out to sea as precip comes in. No blocking = thread the needle with a minuscule eye

We look at a weighted blend of the ensemble mean contours and adjust the weighting between the models based on a scoring matrix that gives preference to which specific model has a better handle on the pattern at any given point in time.

When an event is imminent or in progress, the judgement of NWS GSP and RNK is highly valued and respected as they have superb skills in locals guidance on winter events in Western North Carolina. You better have a sound reason to go against their guidance.

And yes, general paid source guidance from other pros such as WxSouth, Wright Weather, Weatherbell, and Accuweather is also considered in formulating an action plan. Non paid sources such as WxBrad, Time Warner Cable Mets, Rays Weather and RaleighWx among others are also taken into consideration. A conservative approach is maintained and Wish-casting is not a part of the process. You have to call it as it accurately as it is. Drumming up banter on hopes for this solution or that solution only because it could give us snow is not a part of an accurate forecast and responsible business plan.

When business decisions have to be made that impact the reliability of customer service and have a direct impact on the bottom line, it pays to do your homework.

This is confusing. :( Are you an organization?

@189 it's trying to cut up around Memphis but a lot better look tonight.

Edit: @ 192 it's looking like a nasty ice storm for cad areas of NC/SC

Look at the snow pack that HP has to work with, anything close to what the 0z GFS comes out it will be a big ice storm for someone.  Although I still expect things to look different tomorrow night.

post-2311-0-14350700-1391229591_thumb.pn

In this setup, we want less phasing and allow the southern trough to move in while keeping the HP intact.  If it gets too amped up it's going to cut like it's shown in recent runs.

That is kind of what is happening the next couple of days and how the MA is getting there 3-5" snow event on Monday.  Below is h5 map for 24 hours and you can see the NS outracing the SS and at hour 48 the southern piece is left behind which tracks right through NC and give them a nice event, we obviously want it south with that strong HP being modeled.

post-2311-0-12209300-1391230262_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-74478900-1391230265_thumb.pn

Archived