gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glenn Burns ATL met: Our exclusive long range models show BRUTAL cold air Jan 15-20. Said no signs of warmth through the 20th!! And to think people were cliff-diving!!

Exclusive long range models? What would that be?

Glenn Burns ATL met: Our exclusive long range models show BRUTAL cold air Jan 15-20. Said no signs of warmth through the 20th!! And to think people were cliff-diving!!

It could happen. No model has been able to sniff much out beyond a few days, and it does seem like we are getting colder looks beyond next week's cold snap. However, I would trust my dogs to predict the weather for Jan 15-20 before Glenn Burns. I wonder if these are the same models he uses in the summer to predict whose house gets a thunderstorm and who stays dry? Not picking on your post at all NGA. I have just listened to nonsense from him for 20 years now. I hope it verifies, but I would advise caution to anything Burns says that is not already common knowledge.

If he reported it on the 11 pm news, I would guess it may be related to a 00Z computer model. Have not looked to see exactly how GFS looks, but saw on here where they may be colder than previous runs beyond next week.

omfg...Glen burns? lmao..trying to not go into a long, brutal, yet deserving off topic rant about that moron.....must...resist.....arrgghhh

Just do yourself and everyone else a favor...ignore every syllable that comes out of his mouth. Your life will be better.

omfg...Glen burns? lmao..trying to not go into a long, brutal, yet deserving off topic rant about that moron.....must...resist.....arrgghhh

Just do yourself and everyone else a favor...ignore every syllable that comes out of his mouth. Your life will be better.

Haha  I take glen with a grain of salt. Last week said it was gonna be warm throughout Jan and the cold was overdone on models. I am more of a Mike Francis kinda guy.

I wondered how long it would take to here from you on this. You're probably the one guy on here that "understands" Glen Burns as well as I do. I would go with Lee Corso's football picks on Saturday before I would buy anything Burns says.

January may go into the ice box, but it will not be a result of any super secret computer model data that Burns has access to.

Possible Strat PV split with SSW event in the LR

Please let that happen!! That's really our only hope for the winter I think, getting out of this groundhog day cycle.  Connect that EPO ridge with the Atlantic, trapping the vortex underneath and we'll be ready to roll.  The only unknown would be the southern stream.....if we can get storms to ride the gulf underneath. 

I really hate depending on that unicorn chase of a SSW though...

Please let that happen!! That's really our only hope for the winter I think, getting out of this groundhog day cycle.  Connect that EPO ridge with the Atlantic, trapping the vortex underneath and we'll be ready to roll.  The only unknown would be the southern stream.....if we can get storms to ride the gulf underneath. 

I really hate depending on that unicorn chase of a SSW though...

It wasn't too many days ago that people were talking about an active southern stream and the SOI dropping and so forth.  I wonder what happened to that?  Doesn't look active in the near future, just going off of the OP runs.

The indexes look maybe a little better than yesterday.  The AO looks to rise, followed by another decline.  The NAO appears to stay mostly neutral/positive, and the PNA looks to rise pretty nicely later in the period.  The MJO looks to be mostly in the COD or emerging out in Phase 7 at some point, depending on which model you believe.  And according to the CFS, February looks colder in the east, although drier.

It wasn't too many days ago that people were talking about an active southern stream and the SOI dropping and so forth.  I wonder what happened to that?  Doesn't look active in the near future, just going off of the OP runs.

The indexes look maybe a little better than yesterday.  The AO looks to rise, followed by another decline.  The NAO appears to stay mostly neutral/positive, and the PNA looks to rise pretty nicely later in the period.  The MJO looks to be mostly in the COD or emerging out in Phase 7 at some point, depending on which model you believe.  And according to the CFS, February looks colder in the east, although drier.

In the foreseeable future - i.e. inside of 180 hours, we have nothing more than our transient Arctic cold shot followed by near-normal conditions. No signs of a true winter pattern setting up. 

please describe "true winter pattern", thanks.

50/50 low and blocking to our north to hold it in place and maintain confluence over the northeast funneling all of the cold Arctic air into the southeast that is to our north while simultaneously having a  tall ridge over western CONUS that allows northern stream energy to dig southward and have a neutral tilt, while the cold air remains in place and not require a perfect timing situation like so many get caught up in looking at when one model run shows it. Should I continue? 

50/50 low and blocking to our north to hold it in place and maintain confluence over the northeast funneling all of the cold Arctic air into the southeast that is to our north while simultaneously having a  tall ridge over western CONUS that allows northern stream energy to dig southward and have a neutral tilt, while the cold air remains in place and not require a perfect timing situation like so many get caught up in looking at when one model run shows it. Should I continue?

That sounds ideal but not a true "typical" weather pattern.

Yeah, that would be an awesome pattern. That's like a true winter dream pattern. Unfortunately, we don't get that type of pattern very much. We can make do with a "normal" pattern, but I prefer the one you mention.

In the foreseeable future - i.e. inside of 180 hours, we have nothing more than our transient Arctic cold shot followed by near-normal conditions. No signs of a true winter pattern setting up. 

Today it was 23 IMBY at 11 am. The next artic shot beginning Sunday night may keep me below freezing until Wednesday afternoon. Temps looking to go below 10 here for the first time since 2003. The highs in the 2003 cold snap were higher IMBY than what we will likely see. Tuesday may not hit 20. Wind chills will be brutal. This could be our coldest shot since 1996! Not your typical transient cold shot.

Maybe someone should create an "If I can't get snow, I am going to scream and wet my pants" thread for everyone that does not realize that this is a true rare winter weather event we are about to experience. There appear to be some folks that don't care about the actual winter weather if they can't build snowmen and make snow angels.

Archived