Newest Member
    amirah5
A localized white christmas

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z 4km NAM 

Someone from this sub-forum is going to have a heavy, yet very localized White Christmas if this squall actually takes shape. Should be interesting to see who lucks out  :pimp:

attachicon.gifhires_ref_nyc_25.png

Can you interpret the legend on that map?  To me I see two different scales which are mixed and matched on the map in an indecipherable and seemingly random fashion.  Or is the green next to red just a holiday decoration?

I'm hoping for this to inch a bit more south, like 5-8 miles then I would get a dusting, as it stands I'll get a couple of flurries if the NAM or RGEM verify.

models cannot pinpoint the exact locations of the heaviest precip this far out - Upton is saying the sw 1/2 of the forecast area is favored

models cannot pinpoint the exact locations of the heaviest precip this far out - Upton is saying the sw 1/2 of the forecast area is favored

I'm thinking its a good chance its very near the 5 boroughs, the GFS placement is similar and the 18Z RGEM was an outlier to the 12Z and 00Z which were both near the same place.

I'll take it..2 Christmas eve in a row with snow falling..hasn't happened in my lifetime..actually accumulation of any sort of Christmas eve is rare.since I remember 66,93,02 and 12

I'll take it..2 Christmas eve in a row with snow falling..hasn't happened in my lifetime..actually accumulation of any sort of Christmas eve is rare.since I remember 66,93,02 and 12

I have the video from 1993 but it's to dark to post...snow was falling at 11:15pm with a dusting on cars,,,The next night the same thing happened...nothing beats 1966, 1961 and 1963 in that order...

We just need to watch where this convergence zone sets up tomorrow afternoon, because that is where the band of snow will eventually track. Once the enhanced lift reaches the area it'll likely spark the precipitation right along that boundary. For ref, bottom left panel shows convergence zone with winds at 10m.

f21.gif

When's the time frame on the squall?

this evening - any area from Ocean County north into southern NY State CT and LI are going to see flakes the accumulating snow is yet to be determined as some models show it in Central NJ others further north - watch the radars starting mid - afternoon

this radar is the most accurate

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?zoommode=pan&prevzoom=zoom&num=6&frame=0&delay=15&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&ID=DIX&type=N0R&showstorms=0&lat=0&lon=0&label=you&map.x=400&map.y=240&scale=1.000&centerx=400&centery=240&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&lerror=20&num_stns_min=2&num_stns_max=9999&avg_off=9999&smooth=0

this evening - any area from Ocean County north into southern NY State CT and LI are going to see flakes the accumulating snow is yet to be determined as some models show it in Central NJ others further north - watch the radars starting mid - afternoon

this radar is the most accurate

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?zoommode=pan&prevzoom=zoom&num=6&frame=0&delay=15&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&ID=DIX&type=N0R&showstorms=0&lat=0&lon=0&label=you&map.x=400&map.y=240&scale=1.000&centerx=400&centery=240&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&lerror=20&num_stns_min=2&num_stns_max=9999&avg_off=9999&smooth=0

This is a pretty good radar too:

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=OKX-undefined-0-undefined#

Hoping we can get some flakes here in SW CT. It's going to be close.

I bet eastern Nassau and most of Suffolk get 1.5-2 inches of windblowwn snow and 20-45 minute near blizzard conditions. 1-2 inch per hour snowfall rates look very likely on LI as they look like ground-0 for the squall.

There could be some treacherous driving as everything will freeze solid behind the Arctic front.

JB twitter freebie

Archived