• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
A localized white christmas

Zelocita Weather

i wonder if nyc will ever go below 0 again. we talk a lot about 1994's cold but prior to that it was a fairly regular occurrence

Of course they will. Climate change has not been severe enough to prevent their reaching negative numbers. The all time low temperature was reached in Maine in 2009 and in Oklahoma in 2011. Since the PDO flip in 2007, much of the nation has seen colder temperatures, especially the Northern Plains and Mountain West.

My question is whether they'll ever see the big negatives like February 1934 when Central Park hit its all time record low of -15F. Can they still get below -5F or so given increasing urban heat island and climate change? When was the last time NYC got to -5F or colder?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dec 2002 snowstorm Christmas night closed LGA a classic debate between D.T and Meteotrade on if the system would turn to snow. The Wright Weather board had no moderators a completely hilarious argument .Time flies happy holidays everyone see ya.

I remember that. The storm obviously and DT imploding is pretty vivid too. Our power went out so it was Chinese food in front of the fireplace with 3 year old twins. The drive there and back felt like a Subaru commercial. That red Outback was a trooper...

Of course they will. Climate change has not been severe enough to prevent their reaching negative numbers. The all time low temperature was reached in Maine in 2009 and in Oklahoma in 2011. Since the PDO flip in 2007, much of the nation has seen colder temperatures, especially the Northern Plains and Mountain West.

My question is whether they'll ever see the big negatives like February 1934 when Central Park hit its all time record low of -15F. Can they still get below -5F or so given increasing urban heat island and climate change? When was the last time NYC got to -5F or colder?

2/15/1943 -8°.

IMO you cant use big cities in the discussion for climate change, esp NYC, the heat island expands every year so it does get harder and harder.

Actually it has developed considerably since then, but it was up, not out.  That does affect UHI.

Not to mention, Long Island City, Queens has developed big time, as has Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Surrounding Manhattan, creating an even bigger urban heat zone.

Dec 2002 snowstorm Christmas night closed LGA a classic debate between D.T and Meteotrade on if the system would turn to snow. The Wright Weather board had no moderators a completely hilarious argument .Time flies happy holidays everyone see ya.

I remember that. The storm obviously and DT imploding is pretty vivid too. Our power went out so it was Chinese food in front of the fireplace with 3 year old twins. The drive there and back felt like a Subaru commercial. That red Outback was a trooper...

That was a classic debate. I will never forget that one. Ah the insane days of the Wright Weather bulletin board. However, that was around the time we were nearing the end of that board and the birth of Eastern. Good times, good times lol.

Archived