wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very fast flow coming up with a bunch of disturbances as the EPO is finally going positive for a while.

attachicon.gifepo.png

We will probably go back to the pattern we had for much of December, with transient cold and warm shots and either weak systems or cutters that change us to rain or mix. The pattern is just too progressive to allow for anything to amplify in a good place for us without the NAO in our favor.

We will probably go back to the pattern we had for much of December, with transient cold and warm shots and either weak systems or cutters that change us to rain or mix. The pattern is just too progressive to allow for anything to amplify in a good place for us without the NAO in our favor.

It looks like we transition back to a clipper pattern after the series of storms over the next week as the PNA rises.

ecmwf_slp_precip_east_28.png

I see the fast flow argument , but im thinking a handoff is  starting on the Atlantic side . As the PNA  goes positive and the NAO  is heading NEG, this  should argue for more troughiness along the East coast starting next week.

I think the above system has a chance not to escape . 

Looking at the mid week system I think when its at  Hatteras this precip shield is bigger  and could be closer to the coast .

1 Edit here , I just looked at the Control and it doesn't agree with me in regards to a miss , So either way not a big system here , but a bigger precip shield if the OP is right   . Still like neg NAO idea .

ecmwf_slp_precip_east_28.png

I see the fast flow argument , but im thinking a handoff is  starting on the Atlantic side . As the PNA  goes positive and the NAO  is heading NEG, this  should argue for more troughiness along the East coast starting next week.

I think the above system has a chance not to escape . 

Looking at the mid week system I think when its at  Hatteras this precip shield is bigger  and could be closer to the coast .

If the kicker is modeled too fast, then the storm could get closer. But I am not putting much stock in the model

runs beyond a few days since they are struggling with the fast flow. Notice how even the Euro is coming

up with different solutions from run to run.

If the kicker is modeled too fast, then the storm could get closer. But I am not putting much stock in the model

runs beyond a few days since they are struggling with the fast flow. Notice how even the Euro is coming

up with different solutions from run to run.

I cant pull up the 500 MB map at 156 on the Euro , would like to see how sharp that looks .

I cant pull up the 500 MB map at 156 on the Euro , would like to see how sharp that looks .

The day 5 storm has been shifting around with the details, so anything beyond that is a really low skill

forecast at this point. These storms are coming through with very little spacing between them.

The day 5 storm has been shifting around with the details, so anything beyond that is a really low skill

forecast at this point. These storms are coming through with very little spacing between them.

That's Def the key here the 1st system is dragging the trough east

The CFS weeklies, as shown on StormVista for the next 5 weeks, look hot enough to toast marshmellows around here.  Maybe near normal ar

ound 1/28-2/03 that's it.  Comments?  Reliable?

The GFS is warm in the long range. The Euro weeklies and the Japanese weeklies are not. We will see

Super excited about the very active pattern the next week or so. The snow this morning was a nice touch but I hold events like tomorrow closest to my heart. It's too bad that we remain in such a progressive pattern. We're never going to get anything major unless that changes. The 12z GFS op has virtually zero support from it's ensembles and we'll likely end up with a completely different solution run to run.

It keeps the ridge over Western NOAM for the rest of the month.

http://fox12weather.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/ecmwf-weekly-maps-14/

Couple that with the Japanese weeklies and you hav to be happy. You point out earlier the Canadian is on board

. As is the Korean. Only the GFS breaks the ridge down.

So I like below normal if you average out the next 21 days once passed the 15 th

Archived