Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 3

Chicago Storm

Ice Storm Warning for Harry

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI  330 AM EST SAT DEC 21 2013    MIZ066-067-073-074-211630-  /O.UPG.KGRR.WS.A.0005.131221T1800Z-131222T1800Z/  /O.NEW.KGRR.IS.W.0001.131221T1800Z-131222T1200Z/  EATON-INGHAM-CALHOUN-JACKSON-  INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CHARLOTTE...LANSING...BATTLE CREEK...  JACKSON  330 AM EST SAT DEC 21 2013    ...ICE STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 7 AM  EST SUNDAY...    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND RAPIDS HAS ISSUED AN ICE  STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO  7 AM EST SUNDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.     HAZARDOUS WEATHER...     * RAIN AND/OR FREEZING RAIN WILL BEGIN TO DEVELOP TOWARD THIS     AFTERNOON...AND CHANGE OVER TO ALL FREEZING RAIN BY EVENING AS     TEMPERATURES DROP BELOW FREEZING.     * FREEZING RAIN WILL DIMINISH IN INTENSITY OVERNIGHT SATURDAY     NIGHT.      * ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND HALF AN INCH ARE EXPECTED BY     DAYBREAK SUNDAY MORNING.  

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ice Storm Warning for Harry

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI  330 AM EST SAT DEC 21 2013    MIZ066-067-073-074-211630-  /O.UPG.KGRR.WS.A.0005.131221T1800Z-131222T1800Z/  /O.NEW.KGRR.IS.W.0001.131221T1800Z-131222T1200Z/  EATON-INGHAM-CALHOUN-JACKSON-  INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CHARLOTTE...LANSING...BATTLE CREEK...  JACKSON  330 AM EST SAT DEC 21 2013    ...ICE STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 7 AM  EST SUNDAY...    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND RAPIDS HAS ISSUED AN ICE  STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO  7 AM EST SUNDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.     HAZARDOUS WEATHER...     * RAIN AND/OR FREEZING RAIN WILL BEGIN TO DEVELOP TOWARD THIS     AFTERNOON...AND CHANGE OVER TO ALL FREEZING RAIN BY EVENING AS     TEMPERATURES DROP BELOW FREEZING.     * FREEZING RAIN WILL DIMINISH IN INTENSITY OVERNIGHT SATURDAY     NIGHT.      * ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND HALF AN INCH ARE EXPECTED BY     DAYBREAK SUNDAY MORNING.  

Yep.. Better then the insane amounts of ice the models had showed..

skilling making bold calls for snow amounts in WI and N MI....12-14" 

APX is soooo not on board with that.

Does match John Dee and if it verifies, Justin streaks

Skilling agreeing makes me nervous but he's a snow weenie at heart... I think most of us in the weather business love snowstorms...they are so dynamic, tricky, require lots of analyzing, and makes us put on our thinking caps.  Its also, I believe, why a lot of forecasters have grey hair...or they eventually do anyway. 

I've been fascinated with snowstorms since I was a child, just the pure science.  I started talking with my local OCM at the local ABC affiliate when I was about 9 or 10 years old I think.  Weather was always a love of mine as early as I can remember.  I guess I'm one of the few people that can say I love my job...for the most part. 

Extreme weather be it severe, snow, hurricanes, and what not are what make this fun and interesting...plus you always learn something from each system.

Skilling agreeing makes me nervous but he's a snow weenie at heart... I think most of us in the weather business love snowstorms...they are so dynamic, tricky, require lots of analyzing, and makes us put on our thinking caps.  Its also, I believe, why a lot of forecasters have grey hair...or they eventually do anyway. 

I've been fascinated with snowstorms since I was a child, just the pure science.  I started talking with my local OCM at the local ABC affiliate when I was about 9 or 10 years old I think.  Weather was always a love of mine as early as I can remember.  I guess I'm one of the few people that can say I love my job...for the most part. 

Extreme weather be it severe, snow, hurricanes, and what not are what make this fun and interesting...plus you always learn something from each system.

skilling and dee are both snow weenies but respected too.  APX is very conservative and rightly so.  can't go sounding the alarm over everything.... will wait and see

my passion is snow, it's why I moved where I did and one of the few things I lose sleep over, forget to eat, and sometimes bathe too. :lol:

And for folks who have been around for a while, 12/24/02.  It's easy to give the models a pass in borderline situations (getting more mixing than expected when you're supposed to be just north of the rain/snow line, etc) but last minute 100-200 mile bodily shifts, not so much.

:wub:

I just woke up and am catching up. I did notice that NWS sped up the arrival of the heaviest rain axis by about 6 hours for this area, from now until 1 AM vs. what they had been predicting for a couple of days of 1 PM - 7 AM.

Hmmm....

EDIT: I just noticed that there of lots of hmmm... going on in this thread this morning.  lol

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL
434 AM CST SAT DEC 21 2013

.SHORT TERM...(TODAY AND TONIGHT)
ISSUED AT 405 AM CST SAT DEC 21 2013

ASSESSING THE 00Z RUN SOLUTIONS IN HANDLING PHASING ISSUES AND
NORTHEASTWARD PROPAGATION PATH OF STORM CURRENTLY ACRS NORTH
CENTRAL MEX INTO FAR WEST TX...HAVE THROWN OUT THE 00Z NAM WHICH
TOOK A FURTHER WEST JOG WITH FORCING AND HEAVY SNOW BAND. HAVE
SIDED WITH A BLEND OF THE 00Z GFS AND ECMWF WHICH IS NOT ALL THAT
FAR OFF OF PREVIOUS FCST PACKAGE THINKING.
THIS ACCEPTED BLEND
TAKES THE SFC LOW UP TOWARD THE MO BOOT-HEEL BY AROUND 00Z
SUN...AND THEN ACCELERATE TOWARD NORTH CENTRAL INTO NORTHEASTERN
INDIANA BY 12Z SUNDAY MORNING. OVERRUNNING PRECIP FIELDS DEVELOPED
BY STRONG WARM MOIST CONVEYOR ALREADY STREAMING ACRS MUCH OF MO AND
GROWING CLOSER TO THE SOUTHERN CWA. SHORT RANGE HIRES
MODELING...EXTRAPOLATING THE CURRENT MOVEMENT OF PRECIP IN EASTERN
KS/NW MO...AND WITH SFC TEMPS BELOW FREEZING AND BUILDING WARM
WEDGE ALOFT THIS MORNING...IT APPEARS SOME FREEZING RAIN WILL
IMPACT THE SOUTHERN CWA AND POSSIBLY THE I-80 CORRIDOR EAST OF THE
QUAD CITIES BY MID MORNING. STRENGTHENING LLVL NORTHWEST TO NORTH
FLOW INTO THIS ADVANCING PRECIP FIELD WILL MAKE FOR A SHARP
NORTHERN CUT-OFF...BUT STILL FEEL THESE AREAS TO GET AT LEAST SOME
LIGHT ICING THIS MORNING AND WILL BUMP UP THE START TIME OF THE
SOUTHEASTERN SECTION OF THE WSW TO 15Z/9AM CST THIS MORNING. SFC
TEMPS TO BE FLIRTING WITH FREEZING BY THIS AFTERNOON...BUT
EARLIER START TO THE PRECIP MAY ALLOW FOR MORE ICE ACCUMULATION
POSSIBLY PUSHING A QUARTER OF AN INCH IN PORTIONS OF WEST CENTRAL
IL BY EARLY EVENING. LIKE PREVIOUS SHIFT MENTIONED AND FCST
SOUNDINGS SUPPORT...THIS SYSTEM ALSO TO BE AN EFFECTIVE SLEET
MAKER IN THESE EARLIER START AREAS WITH SLEET ACCUMS OF A HALF UP
TO 1 INCH POSSIBLE. WILL BANK ON A SHARP CUT-OFF OF NORTHERN EDGE
OF PRECIP BY THE NORTH LLVL FLOW TO KEEP THE NEED OF AREAS FROM
FAIRFIELD IA...TO THE QUAD CITIES FROM FROM HAVING TO BE BUMPED UP
BEFORE THE 6 PM WARNING START TIME...BUT IT IS POSSIBLE.

DYNAMICAL COOLING FOR SWITCH OVER TO ALL SNOW TONIGHT FROM NW-TO-
SOUTHEAST AS THE EVENING AND OVERNIGHT PROGRESSES. H5 MB LOW
SHIFTS RIGHT ACRS THE CWA FROM SOUTHWEST- TO- NORTHEAST LATE
TONIGHT TRYING TO CLOSE- OFF BUT MODELS SUGGEST IT STAYS OPEN. BUT
FEATURE STILL STRONG ENOUGH ALONG WITH UPPER JET DYNAMICS AND
UNSEASONABLE MOISTURE FEED/TROWAL SIGNATURE TO FUEL A HEAVY DEF
ZONE SNOW BAND WITH SIGNS OF MAIN ACCUM AXIS SIMILAR TO WHAT THE
PREVIOUS PACKAGE ADVERTISED...5-8 INCHES BY 12Z SUNDAY 20-30 MILES
EITHER SIDE OF AN AXIS FROM SIGOURNEY IA...IOWA CITY...TO WEST OF
CLINTON IA AND SOUTHEAST OF DBQ. SHARP DROP OFF IN SNOW AMOUNTS
EAST OF THE MS RVR AND SOUTH OF STERLING IL.

As I believe michsnowfreak describes it, the day Detroit picked up 4-6" of Partly Sunny.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2011/us0205.php

(note the date the thread was started)

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/12575-feb-4th-5th-snow-event/

What a storm, what a february, what a winter! Was fully expecting a rare sunny day to enjoy our solid foot snowpack and instead got a blinding midday snowstorm.

Probably a 0.1-0.3" glaze already, some of which should melt today. The "fun" starts tonight after 6-8pm.

You might want to take a look at this along with the rest of the people who reside in Toronto:

smsysx.png

That's what I got when I refreshed TO's page on The Weather Network 50 minutes ago. 50 mm of freezing rain (high end) on top of the already likely 0.5 cm would be insane!! Even if half this occurs, this will be a disaster!

Something tells me this is going to be the second worst ice storm in Canadian history... :axe:

You might want to take a look at this along with the rest of the people who reside in Toronto:

smsysx.png

That's what I got when I refreshed TO's page on The Weather Network 50 minutes ago. 50 mm of freezing rain (high end) on top of the already likely 0.5 cm would be insane!! Even if half this occurs, this will be a disaster!

Something tells me this is going to be the second worst ice storm in Canadian history... :axe:

I'd probably guess that the total ice accumulation for Toronto will be around 30mm probably a bit more as you go further inland.

Archived