• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 3

Chicago Storm

Very tough forecast for the midnight crew. Decent confidence that the Chicago heat island would see less of an issue even if the rest of the metro has a big icing problem. Curious to see what the Euro shows.

I think the worst sequence of events would be if temps tonight end up 1-2 degrees colder than progged and precip starts earlier than expected tomorrow...if that happens then it probably increases the ice threat dramatically.  I also wonder about the warm layer aloft as forecast soundings look like they could support more of a sleet mixture the farther north you go.  If there's going to be a surprise with ice amounts then it may be in the central third or so of the cwa if temps can stay AOB freezing.     

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the worst sequence of events would be if temps tonight end up 1-2 degrees colder than progged and precip starts earlier than expected tomorrow...if that happens then it probably increases the ice threat dramatically.  I also wonder about the warm layer aloft as forecast soundings look like they could support more of a sleet mixture the farther north you go.  If there's going to be a surprise with ice amounts then it may be in the central third or so of the cwa if temps can stay AOB freezing.     

Actually checking radar now and comparing to models, there is an area of precip moving through MO and into IL that the models are not picking up or are too slow with. 

my gut says the consensus will be a blend of the euro and gfs...toss the nam I bet that's where we are headed.  all the wfo's will grit their teeth, duck under the table, cover their heads, and hope they made a good guess.  the lack of agreement so close to this thing starting is unreal.  absolutely unreal.  our winds here have started turning W instead of NW temps continue going down... 26.3 here now.  that front though should be just about to put on the brakes...

Keep in mind that the wave was in Mexico for the 00z runs which could explain some of the bouncing around...

Yea, I was just about to mention that.

The main vort and jet have stayed offshore or in Mexico at the base of the trough, so I woudn't be surprised if things change a tad once again with the 12z's.

Odds these models are right or the NAM scoring the win of the century. I mean honestly the NAM and all the NAM clowns (SREF) could not be any further from the global models at this point.

I believe the NAM has often been right when being such an outlier. Hopefully not this time. The Canadian seems to be further NW as well...or North.

Well, I came "home" to visit family in PA for the week, so I will be missing this storm.

Very tough forecast for the midnight crew. Decent confidence that the Chicago heat island would see less of an issue even if the rest of the metro has a big icing problem. Curious to see what the Euro shows.

Strongly agreed. I've been worried about the icing threat because we lock in the north northeast flow.Going to be a true nowcasting event.

Archived