12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised how toasty you are. The low level cold air advection isn't finished though. You may sink another degree or so eventually.

Irony is because of the interconnectedness of the grid, you may lose power even without experiencing an ice storm. :(

Ya some of the models have shown the lakeshore getting in on the ice but I think it will be up to the weather gods. A good indicator for me is Toronto Islands weather. would it be possible for anyone get the data for that airport, that would be closer to whats going to happen to me rather then Pearsons 

was this precip shield forecasted to take a long time to progress north? LOT talked about a disturbance in N IL that may have slowed down its movement. prolly most likely due to subsidence. I see the RAP also develops a potent dry slot that passes over a good chunk of central and NE IL. that is a bit concerning. that would drastically kill any snow/ice totals. its weird b/c models are shifting SE some with their snow but the def band just want to stay around the QC

I'm surprised how toasty you are. The low level cold air advection isn't finished though. You may sink another degree or so eventually.

Irony is because of the interconnectedness of the grid, you may lose power even without experiencing an ice storm. :(

About the power grid, I have already figured that theres a good chance that that could happen. Im a KM away from the lake and it appears the icing starts around 3-4km away from the lake. Heres a link for the Hydro One Storm centre. http://www.hydroone.com/StormCenter3/ Should be interesting to watch this light up as the day/night goes on

was this precip shield forecasted to take a long time to progress north? LOT talked about a disturbance in N IL that may have slowed down its movement. prolly most likely due to subsidence. I see the RAP also develops a potent dry slot that passes over a good chunk of central and NE IL. that is a bit concerning. that would drastically kill any snow/ice totals. its weird b/c models are shifting SE some with their snow but the def band just want to stay around the QC

Dry slot could still creep up into Chicago, it wouldn't surprise me, it's talked about a ton on here how dry slots are always undermodeled.

It was amazingly crappy. 3 1/2 hour delay. I got to bed a 3:30 in the morning. Need coffee today.

Ya some of the models have shown the lakeshore getting in on the ice but I think it will be up to the weather gods. A good indicator for me is Toronto Islands weather. would it be possible for anyone get the data for that airport, that would be closer to whats going to happen to me rather then Pearsons 

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-128_metric_e.html

YYZ now down to -0.4C. I remember I had a few blackouts during thunderstorms and once during the February 2008 snowstorm but they were minor and the longest was like 5 hours. Its dangerous outside. I cant even step a foot outside without slipping -_- I still have a nice snow cover of around 5" but all the standing water from yesterday is all ice. Trees are also covered in ice. 

Stay safe. 

I hope I can still watch the Hockey game tonight without losing power  :lmao:

About the power grid, I have already figured that theres a good chance that that could happen. Im a KM away from the lake and it appears the icing starts around 3-4km away from the lake. Heres a link for the Hydro One Storm centre. http://www.hydroone.com/StormCenter3/ Should be interesting to watch this light up as the day/night goes on

Yeah you will definitely have the lake influencing your surface temps being that close. I'm 6km away, straight line distance.

Already 5,000 Hydroone customers affected and this thing hasn't even really got going.

I think I'm going to stop checking the models at this point, minus the HRRR (although it hasn't run in a while). It's definitely nowcasting time. Interesting to see YYZ temps trending down so early.

About the power grid, I have already figured that theres a good chance that that could happen. Im a KM away from the lake and it appears the icing starts around 3-4km away from the lake. Heres a link for the Hydro One Storm centre. http://www.hydroone.com/StormCenter3/ Should be interesting to watch this light up as the day/night goes on

I've never seen a BUFKIT profile for YTZ, even on the PSU page. Maybe the intrepid Harrisale can dig one up.

Too bad the HydroOne power outage map isn't comprehensive (it doesn't cover the urban areas that have local power utilities). Maybe Toronto Hydro has a similar feature.

I've never seen a BUFKIT profile for YTZ, even on the PSU page. Maybe the intrepid Harrisale can dig one up.

Too bad the HydroOne power outage map isn't comprehensive (it doesn't cover the urban areas that have local power utilities). Maybe Toronto Hydro has a similar feature.

Indeed they do. It's begun

http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/electricsystem/PowerOutages/Pages/OutageMap.aspx

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-128_metric_e.html

YYZ now down to -0.4C. I remember I had a few blackouts during thunderstorms and once during the February 2008 snowstorm but they were minor and the longest was like 5 hours. Its dangerous outside. I cant even step a foot outside without slipping -_- I still have a nice snow cover of around 5" but all the standing water from yesterday is all ice. Trees are also covered in ice. 

Stay safe. 

I hope I can still watch the Hockey game tonight without losing power  :lmao:

Thanks for sending the link but I meant the airport data which show the 850s and 2M ground temps. Sorry I should have been clearer. On the hockey game note I was wondering what they will do if the storm is as bad as predicted. If I remember correctly someone mentioned the streetcars have a tough time during ice events. would that be the same for Go trains? having 20,000 fans get out during a significant ice storm could be a nightmare by itself 

Thanks for sending the link but I meant the airport data which show the 850s and 2M ground temps. Sorry I should have been clearer. On the hockey game note I was wondering what they will do if the storm is as bad as predicted. If I remember correctly someone mentioned the streetcars have a tough time during ice events. would that be the same for Go trains? having 20,000 fans get out during a significant ice storm could be a nightmare by itself 

I think raw data like that is available on NOAA, SSC must know about that. I havent seen Environment Canada releasing data about upper air temperatures. 

And its going to be horrible tonight. Imagine the power goes out while the game is going on? I believe if conditions worsen, the game will most likely be cancelled. Tonight will basically be a preview of the Winter classic ;) If your a leafs fan i presume you'll be watching tonight, despite all the accumulated losses of late, LOL. 

Flights have already been delayed at Pearson. 

Back on Dec 23, 2004, a few mm of freezing rain in the morning (after 18 cm of snow fell) was enough to shut down the entire TTC streetcar system. Streetcars couldn't move because of ice on the overhead wires.

Yeah you will definitely have the lake influencing your surface temps being that close. I'm 6km away, straight line distance.

Already 5,000 Hydroone customers affected and this thing hasn't even really got going.

I think I'm going to stop checking the models at this point, minus the HRRR (although it hasn't run in a while). It's definitely nowcasting time. Interesting to see YYZ temps trending down so early.

I guess the good news for me, is that Chris Scott just sent out a tweet saying that Toronto Lakeshore and QEW communities to Hamilton will see rain this afternoon turning to Freezing Rain this evening. At least if I end up losing power I don't have a cold rain to rub it in 

I think raw data like that is available on NOAA, SSC must know about that. I havent seen Environment Canada releasing data about upper air temperatures. 

And its going to be horrible tonight. Imagine the power goes out while the game is going on? I believe if conditions worsen, the game will most likely be cancelled. Tonight will basically be a preview of the Winter classic ;) If your a leafs fan i presume you'll be watching tonight, despite all the accumulated losses of late, LOL. 

Flights have already been delayed at Pearson. 

haha Ill be watching this interesting Leaf team tonight. Having the game cancelled would be best for both teams since Detroit has been crap lately as well. Detroit-Toronto NHL game tonight with both Michigan and Southern Ontario experiencing an Ice Storm, couldn't have written a better script for HBO. I wonder if HBO focuses some of its episode to the weather (Sorry for being OT) 

Just some like ZR over night, I'm heading out in a little bit to get a better grip on what's happening.  We appear to be on the very north side of the precip right now.  In the mean time LSX still seems to think it could get serious here today. 

Still appears that a very serious ice accumulation threat exists along a COU-MYJ-PPQ axis.

haha Ill be watching this interesting Leaf team tonight. Having the game cancelled would be best for both teams since Detroit has been crap lately as well. Detroit-Toronto NHL game tonight with both Michigan and Southern Ontario experiencing an Ice Storm, couldn't have written a better script for HBO. I wonder if HBO focuses some of its episode to the weather (Sorry for being OT) 

Yeah I'm thinking of heading down to Detroit for the Winter Classic. Leafs started well but they fell back come November and now into December. I was p!ssed but we had our fair share of injuries this year too. I wouldn't be surprised if HBO does discuss about this storm in their episode as its affecting both cities. Lets go leafs! :) We need to gain some more wins to get a playoff position like we did last year.... 

YYZ steady around -0.4C. We still have a nice snow cover across much of the GTA. 

I'm a bit new here, so sticking my neck out to make a call... I live in 53066 (Western Waukesha county WI). Calling for 4.5" imby. GFS runs have been slowly lowering qpf. (I may bust low big time judging by recent Euro and NAM runs showing more moisture, but I'm looking to make a name for myself...)

Unfortunately I think you're right.  I'm betting Euro will come in drier with the 12z run, and it already was looking less juicy this far north than it was a couple days ago.  None of the models handled the storm very well, as of now there is no winner with this storm model-wise.

Unfortunately I think you're right. I'm betting Euro will come in drier with the 12z run, and it already was looking less juicy this far north than it was a couple days ago. None of the models handled the storm very well, as of now there is no winner with this storm model-wise.

Yeah, I fully expect to see many surprises once the Precip shield makes it here. Temps appear to be underperforming in N IL

No CYTZ BUFKIT profiles that I know of unfortunately. Metar is at 34/32 right now.

Yeah I'm thinking of heading down to Detroit for the Winter Classic. Leafs started well but they fell back come November and now into December. I was p!ssed but we had our fair share of injuries this year too. I wouldn't be surprised if HBO does discuss about this storm in their episode as its affecting both cities. Lets go leafs! :) We need to gain some more wins to get a playoff position like we did last year.... 

YYZ steady around -0.4C. We still have a nice snow cover across much of the GTA. 

How much snow left?

lol @ the gfs

worst system ever

temp 36 IMBY

this is a joke

LAKE IL-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WAUKEGAN

832 AM CST SAT DEC 21 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO

10 AM CST SUNDAY...

.REST OF TODAY...CLOUDY. AREAS OF DENSE FOG IN THE MORNING.

SLIGHT CHANCE OF LIGHT FREEZING RAIN OR LIGHT SLEET LATE IN THE

MORNING. CHANCE OF LIGHT SNOW OR LIGHT SLEET EARLY IN THE

AFTERNOON...THEN SNOW OR SLEET LIKELY LATE IN THE AFTERNOON.

LITTLE OR NO SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION. NO ICE ACCUMULATION.

HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS IN THE MORNING

BECOMING NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH IN THE LATE MORNING AND

AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 60 PERCENT.

.TONIGHT...SLEET OR SNOW...RAIN AND FREEZING RAIN IN THE

EVENING...THEN SNOW...OCCASIONAL DRIZZLE OR CHANCE OF LIGHT

FREEZING DRIZZLE AFTER MIDNIGHT. SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION OF

1 TO 3 INCHES. ICE ACCUMULATION UP TO ONE TENTH OF AN INCH.

BLUSTERY. TEMPERATURES NEARLY STEADY IN THE LOWER 30S. NORTHEAST

WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH EARLY IN THE EVENING

INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH IN THE LATE

EVENING AND OVERNIGHT. CHANCE OF MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION

100 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY...SNOW IN THE MORNING...THEN A SLIGHT CHANCE OF LIGHT

SNOW OR A CHANCE OF FLURRIES IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW ACCUMULATION

OF 1 TO 2 INCHES. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION 2 TO 5 INCHES.

BLUSTERY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S. NORTH WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH WITH

GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH UNTIL LATE AFTERNOON DECREASING TO 10 TO

20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH LATE IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF

MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION 100 PERCENT.

Archived