Newest Member
    joxey
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 3

Chicago Storm

Latest 12z ECMWF for YYZ

2 M     850     SFC     SFC     700    6 HR     500    1000 
                 TMP     TMP     PRS     RHU     RHU     QPF     HGT     500 
                 ©     ©    (MB)    (PCT)   (PCT)   (IN)    (DM)     THK 

SAT 18Z 21-DEC   0.8     4.7    1010      90      97    0.06     558     549    
SUN 00Z 22-DEC  -0.1     2.6    1012      95     100    0.26     559     549    
SUN 06Z 22-DEC  -1.4     2.7    1008      94     100    0.45     558     551    
SUN 12Z 22-DEC  -1.1     2.3    1008      94      94    0.76     556     549
SUN 18Z 22-DEC  -1.1     5.0    1005      92      16    0.07     552     548

YYZ steady at -0.4C. 

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow that sucks. It can be a drag where you slowly build up a snow cover and all of sudden just before Christmas, "The Grinch" comes knocking on the door. And I can say the same for much of the Winter too. But we do see winters, like 08-09, where we can have a steady snow cover through out the Winter season, and have it survive through the warm-ups in-between. I would love a repeat of some of the 70s winters.  

Cold rains are a drag. I hate them. It ruins any sort of weather excitement you may have. Stay safe my friend. Never know what sort of surprises are lurking with these types of storms. Yeah models do hint some clippers coming in from now till New Years, should be interesting too.

it majorly sucks, but it was expected though. If we didnt stay so mild for so long Thu/Fri, we would have been able to soak all the rain into a huge glacier, but too much damage done. I do have to drive to a Christmas party well north of Detroit tonight, so that may be interesting. The 70s winters were great but even they had periods like this. As 2007-08 taught us, sometimes to get the snowiest winters you have to have periods like this.

Unfortunately I think you're right.  I'm betting Euro will come in drier with the 12z run, and it already was looking less juicy this far north than it was a couple days ago.  None of the models handled the storm very well, as of now there is no winner with this storm model-wise.

Yep, you were right, the Euro came in even drier. Maybe my 4.5" call will bust high 

chicago keeping warnings and advisories

LATEST AIRCRAFT SOUNDINGS FEATURE A WARM NOSE CLOSE TO +3C AT 800 MB
OVER THE CHICAGO AREA. THIS IS EXPECTED TO COOL LATER IN THE
AFTERNOON...SO WITH 850 MB NEAR 0C AND A DECENT SUB FREEZING LAYER
DOWN TO THE SURFACE...HAVE FOCUSED MORE ON SLEET MENTION THAN ZR
AS PRECIP GRADUALLY INCHES NORTHWARD. LOWERED POPS TO LOW CHANCE
FOR FAR NORTHERN AND FAR NORTHEASTERN IL WHICH VERY WELL COULD STILL
BE TOO HIGH. THERMAL PROFILES FOR THESE AREAS SUGGEST LIGHT SNOW
OR SLEET AT THE ONSET WITH A LESS PRONOUNCED WARM NOSE.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR W/V SATELLITE TRENDS CLOSELY WITH UPPER LEVEL
LOW STARTING TO TAKE ON A NEGATIVE TILT OVER TEXAS. EVEN AT THIS
LATE HOUR...GUIDANCE CONTINUES TO VARY SHARPLY ON THE TRAJECTORY OF
THIS FEATURE TO THE NORTHEAST...WHICH WILL IMPACT THE PATH OF THE
DEFORMATION AXIS SNOWS NORTH OF THE SYSTEM AND THE PRONOUNCED DRY
SLOT THAT WILL WRAP INTO THE AREA OVERNIGHT. THINK THAT THE RAP/NAM
MAY BE A BIT TOO FAR WEST IN EVEN KEEPING THE DEFO AXIS OUTSIDE OF
THE NW CWA BUT IN TURN THE LATEST GFS MAY BE TOO FAR SOUTHEAST.

NO HEADLINE CHANGES ARE PLANNED FOR MID DAY AS WE CONTINUE TO ASSESS
OBSERVATIONAL AND MODEL DATA...BUT THE FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY
SHOULD BE GOOD TO EXPIRE AT 19Z...WITH THE POSSIBLE EXCEPTION OF
LIVINGSTON COUNTY.

Can't believe how much EC is downplaying this event in their warnings. Winds gusting to 35 mph tomorrow following 1.5" of ice accretion?? The media needs to get people prepping NOW

The local media is calling for a bit of Ice and all their weather personalities are calling for rain for Toronto-Hamilton (as of last nights newscasts) So the general public has no idea what could be on the doorstep 

it majorly sucks, but it was expected though. If we didnt stay so mild for so long Thu/Fri, we would have been able to soak all the rain into a huge glacier, but too much damage done. I do have to drive to a Christmas party well north of Detroit tonight, so that may be interesting. The 70s winters were great but even they had periods like this. As 2007-08 taught us, sometimes to get the snowiest winters you have to have periods like this.

On the bench sitting this one out. Perhaps the next one will be more interesting for all of us. One thing is for sure there is still a lot of opportunities this winter for some very big snow events.

Can't believe how much EC is downplaying this event in their warnings. Winds gusting to 35 mph tomorrow following 1.5" of ice accretion?? The media needs to get people prepping NOW

EC I think is doing an ok job. The wording they're using in the text of the warning is "major ice storm" and they mention the risk of widespread power outages. I think it's the media that's downplaying the threat. To them, they just assume Toronto cannot be the victim of a major ice storm. That's more of an Ottawa-Montreal thing.

EC I think is doing an ok job. The wording they're using in the text of the warning is "major ice storm" and they mention the risk of widespread power outages. I think it's the media that's downplaying the threat. To them, they just assume Toronto cannot be the victim of a major ice storm. That's more of an Ottawa-Montreal thing.

I too think EC is doing good here. EC is not downplaying this event and I thought the wording was strong in their warnings. Sometimes I think its not strong enough to convey how much damage could occur or how it easily could be more than "widespread" power outages.

Alek was right about this being a sh*t fest with the models. I'm thinking it's because the wave dove down into Mexico, which out of the balloon network?

RAP and EURO are sided together now. With the GFS not being much further north.

Archived