• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 3

Chicago Storm

It is going to be an interesting situation unfolding. I feel like a lot of the public is going to be caught off guard if it unfolds like the models are saying  because the weather was barely a mention on all 4 evening news casts. As well almost all of them are saying Toronto will be predominately rain with the worst in the North, West and East. I would also caution against Rain being thrown out the window. Im personally not worried (though prepared, batteries, water, ext) because from previous borderline events the Lakeshore escapes. South of the 403/QEW has a good chance to see mostly rain. 

Models are trending colder and as stated already, many locales are under performing with temps quite significantly. I think a PL event is more likely than a plain rain event. Sadly, my money is on a predominantly ZR event. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1.5" of ice accretion out of this, if not more. This is a "Category 5" (out of 5) ice storm as per TWC's stupid little scale.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys for the info. I'm officially rooting for rain for YYZ. As awesome as it would be to witness the headache is too much.

Just  got in. Went out a couple of hours ago when there was no icing.

It is a glaze of freezing rain now in T O. Wood, metal, concrete, some pavement glazed

Did hear odd ping here and there.

Usually I am rightfully a pessimist to the hype for possible T.O events 

WOW, it looks like it could be a once or twice in a half century event for T.O.

It has already started bit which i didn't expect.

Sure feels like something memorable is going to happen even in downtown Toronto.

Models are trending colder and as stated already, many locales are under performing with temps quite significantly. I think a PL event is more likely than a plain rain event. Sadly, my money is on a predominantly ZR event. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1.5" of ice accretion out of this, if not more. This is a "Category 5" (out of 5) ice storm as per TWC's stupid little scale.

I know that everything has trended cooler but theres already a significant difference in weather developing across the GTA. Good luck to you guys. I put the line of significant icing north of the 403. Between the QEW-403 ill say its a decent icing and those of us along the lakeshore this is minor event. We will have to wait and see. Someone will be busting hard. Either the hype of the models or all the new channels/media in Toronto 

00z hi-res NAM moves the heaviest snow back into central to northeast Iowa, and here's DMX's new update.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA
900 PM CST FRI DEC 20 2013

.UPDATE...
ISSUED AT 900 PM 
CST FRI DEC 20 2013

UPDATE REGARDING THE WINTER STORM FOR THE WEEKEND. TRENDS CONTINUE
A BIT FARTHER NW WITH THE SYSTEM WITH THE 00Z NAM UPPER LEVEL
ENERGY NEARLY IN PHASE WITH THE ECMWF. THIS TRACK WOULD RESULT IN
TREMENDOUS QG FORCING OVERRIDING MUCH OF CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST
IOWA AS THE POTENT UPPER LEVEL SYSTEM ARRIVES. SLOPED FORCING WILL
RESULT IN THE FORCING OCCURRING WITHIN THE DENDRITIC ZONE FARTHER
NW INTO CENTRAL IOWA AND THIS WILL BE THE REGION WITH THE GREATEST
SNOW RATIOS. DESPITE HIGH PRECIPITATION POSSIBLE OVER THE
SOUTHEAST...A LESS FAVORABLE CRYSTAL GROWTH ZONE MAY RESULT IN THE
HIGHEST AMOUNTS TO THE NORTHWEST. IN ADDITION...EXCELLENT
ISENTROPIC LIFT AND MOISTURE TRANSPORT SHOULD FORCE MOISTURE WELL
INTO CENTRAL IOWA. THE DRY WEDGE TO THE NORTHWEST STILL LIKELY
WILL LEAD TO THE FORMATION OF A SHARP CUTOFF. WIND GUSTS ON
SUNDAY OF 30 TO 35 MPH WILL LEAD TO A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF LOW
LEVEL BLOWING SNOW AND WILL KEEP TRAVEL HAZARDOUS THROUGH THAT
PERIOD. THEREFORE...HAVE ADDED 8 COUNTIES TO THE WINTER STORM
WATCH AREA ON THE NORTHWEST EDGE.

00z RGEM shows heaviest snows from Des Moines through Wateroo/Dubuque up to Madison, and then up to around weatherbo.  Keeps QC in sleet/freezing rain through 1am, followed by a brief burst of snow. 

NAM and RGEM aren't too great for northern IL, lets see how the GFS does.

I'm also hearing that one Omaha met is saying the NAM and RGEM are in error because they are initializing wrong information regarding the position of the system.  This is just heresay from another forum, but if true, it adds another chapter to this drama.

If genuinely caring about family is grounds for being banned, sue me, but I've seen worse.

In any case, over here in Raritan its slick as heck. We've lost most all of the snowpack.

Sarcasm on this end, dude. But you'll learn. Wait till severe season. BTW...welcome aboard.

0Z GFS/GGEM look crucifying for the GTA. Seems like they both paint the same picture as did the 0z Nam. Looks like rain to start along the Lake shore before it quickly transitions over to ZR and no sign of any PL. This would be treacherous. I recommend to my fellow GTA posters, to stay safe and keep all the emergency kits handy. 

0Z GFS/GGEM look crucifying for the GTA. Seems like they both paint the same picture as did the 0z Nam. Looks like rain to start along the Lake shore before it quickly transitions over to ZR and no sign of any PL. This would be treacherous. I recommend to my fellow GTA posters, to stay safe and keep all the emergency kits handy. 

Do you expect power outages in north Toronto, Markham and Richmond hill?

Archived