joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 pattern discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GEFS D11 analogs have gotten quite cold...there are some big snow analogs in there as well. I actually think the EC ensembles look a bit better than the GEFS...but here is what those GEFS analogs produced in terms of temperature anomalies:

compday_7esgh83_Ib.gif

You can see the definite +PNA pattern. Very classic...almost an El Nino +PNA pattern...which isn't a shock since Jan 2003 appears twice in there along with late Jan 2007 and early Feb 1995. All moderate or better El Ninos. The top analog was January 2009 which also produced a very cold eastern US...it was a bit colder in the lakes and N plains than the El Nino analogs...which is what I'd lean towards.

The GEFS D11 analogs have gotten quite cold...there are some big snow analogs in there as well. I actually think the EC ensembles look a bit better than the GEFS...but here is what those GEFS analogs produced in terms of temperature anomalies:

compday_7esgh83_Ib.gif

You can see the definite +PNA pattern. Very classic...almost an El Nino +PNA pattern...which isn't a shock since Jan 2003 appears twice in there along with late Jan 2007 and early Feb 1995. All moderate or better El Ninos. The top analog was January 2009 which also produced a very cold eastern US...it was a bit colder in the lakes and N plains than the El Nino analogs...which is what I'd lean towards.

Can't ask for much more than that look.

Looking at that map I have to wonder...what comes after D11-14 if Canada is torching west of Hudsons.

It doesn't get warmer because the ridge slowly retrogrades out west and the flow is from like 330-340 degrees in the upper levels over central Canada. If we changed to a zonal flow, that map would spell disaster in the longer range, but that is not this case this time. The warm anomalies actually get pinched westward and southwestward as time passes.  

It doesn't get warmer because the ridge slowly retrogrades out west and the flow is from like 330-340 degrees in the upper levels over central Canada. If we changed to a zonal flow, that map would spell disaster in the longer range, but that is not this case this time. The warm anomalies actually get pinched westward and southwestward as time passes.  

Yep forgot you mentioning that previously.  Retrograding ridge FTW.

Yeah it seems that NOT having Atlantic blocking actually helps to allow warm air to make a run at us and therefore advect and give us some nice over runny nose events. Also these blocks can really kill us like Feb 2010 by causing OTS coastals.

There are certain people who would rather have the coastals to track....but as a snowpack snob im loving this.

Yep forgot you mentioning that previously.  Retrograding ridge FTW.

Well retrograding is only good until it is no longer good lol. Solid runs today and a clear trend colder by larter next week even...The -ao ridge bridge is a look that is tough to see breaking down so easily in time for an early feb warm up of sorts..we will see I guess

Agreed. That's a nice look. The Atlantic, however, seems to be pretty stubborn. I think we run the risk of a cutter around D10 before we plunge back into the Arctic. This could be a really brutal 10 days for SNE. 

Euro ensembles are pretty sweet.

They have a really strong signal for a storm around 1/22-23. Arctic airmasses a threat at any point beyond the 20th...though there could be a mini-one for MLK weekend behind the 1/18 threat.

Hopefully it's not one of those deals where it keeps getting pushed out further in time.  Seems like the best stuff is still 10 days away which is anything but a sure thing in model land.  With that said, the absence of Forky trolling the forum would bode well. :whistle:

Euro ensembles are pretty sweet.

They have a really strong signal for a storm around 1/22-23. Arctic airmasses a threat at any point beyond the 20th...though there could be a mini-one for MLK weekend behind the 1/18 threat.

Yeah not sure what this brutal 10 day talk is about lol. Hell some folks may get snow Wed nite and again Sat

Yeah not sure what this brutal 10 day talk is about lol. Hell some folks may get snow Wed nite and again Sat

Huh? 

I said "could" and I think for most of SNE besides the northern hills and slantsticking little hills the next 10 days may be unpleasant before the pattern turns more favorable. 

Hopefully it's not one of those deals where it keeps getting pushed out further in time.  Seems like the best stuff is still 10 days away which is anything but a sure thing in model land.  With that said, the absence of Forky trolling the forum would bode well. :whistle:

It looks fine. All systems go it seems for a good Pacific. There is always the ceremonial cutter like Ryan talks about so I don't see what the problem is...especially when it's a discussion. Some are just very paranoid. I don't see this as a push back type pattern.

It looks fine. All systems go it seems for a good Pacific. There is always the ceremonial cutter like Ryan talks about so I don't see what the problem is...especially when it's a discussion. Some are just very paranoid. I don't see this as a push back type pattern.

We all fear 01-02 and 11-12 (and 05-06 to some extent) where the goods were to come but never showed...not saying that's the case here, but after those 3 disasters, I'm never sold until it's in the shorter range.

We all fear 01-02 and 11-12 (and 05-06 to some extent) where the goods were to come but never showed...not saying that's the case here, but after those 3 disasters, I'm never sold until it's in the shorter range.

Why would we fear that when we haven't seen it transpire that way?

Archived