• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December pattern discussion, part II

Typhoon Tip

I'm really concerned for operations at the ski areas.  I know how hard it is to scour out that cold air on Mansfield's east basin.  The 1,500ft base elevation tucked on the cold E/NE side of that mountain does not lose cold air easily.  Any westerly or SWly flow just goes right over the top.  I've watched the temps enough to know how this plays out... summit station could be mid-30s, while its 25-30F at the 2,600ft and 1,500ft stations and pouring.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS runs the low practically over Chicago now.  With no blocking and an amplifying trough it's not that surprising the trend is NW.  Personally just hoping for rain totals to be cut back in SNE, but I could see how by hanging back the WAA is weakened and cold air is slower to erode, especially with the models sniffing the stronger HP.

GFS runs the low practically over Chicago now.  With no blocking and an amplifying trough it's not that surprising the trend is NW.  Personally just hoping for rain totals to be cut back in SNE, but I could see how by hanging back the WAA is weakened and cold air is slower to erode, especially with the models sniffing the stronger HP.

That is what we want....track the damn thing so far west, that that TUG and Detroit see the bulk of the warm push...and ice is limited up in nne.

Well hopefully the slug of precip somehow stays west. There is no question you are cold, just precip amounts I guess. Still have time.

That is a hideous look. The soundings for KAUG are unreal... and that's on the GFS. Imagine how the higher resolution models will handle the low level cold. 

GFS runs the low practically over Chicago now. With no blocking and an amplifying trough it's not that surprising the trend is NW. Personally just hoping for rain totals to be cut back in SNE, but I could see how by hanging back the WAA is weakened and cold air is slower to erode, especially with the models sniffing the stronger HP.

Yeah we mentioned that the other day. Track the low so far west that we stay wedged in until fropa

what is your deal?  are you rooting for the front to move north?  are you jealous because you will lose your snow and some of us won't?  as you pointed out, the euro last night had its warmest run - for who?

What he posts is verbatim. He is a good counterpoint to some....  He knows his stuff

Devil ya know vs the devil that hypes

what is your deal?  are you rooting for the front to move north?  are you jealous because you will lose your snow and some of us won't?  as you pointed out, the euro last night had its warmest run - for who?

lol... he can comment on it verbatim.  I don't think he's rooting for anything.  He likes heat anyway.  We can't freak out over someone discussing a warm solution.  That's certainly on the table.  I like that we discuss all options.

What he posts is verbatim. He is a good counterpoint to some....  He knows his stuff

Devil ya know vs the devil that hypes

i don't think there's much question that at some point, the front will rip through the region and scour this out. your area though and points N and E, might still be in the game to really minimize the damage though. initial placement of the boundary and all that stuff could be the difference between 48 hours of 50F and 6 hours of 50F. 

it's worth watching. 

Archived