• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December pattern discussion, part II

Typhoon Tip

Firstly, the GEFs teleconnectors suggest some changes lurking ...unsure how profound those will be.  The PNA rises through the end of the month ...might go positive for a time, but a substantial enough phase adjustment to suspect more storminess lurks during the week of x-mass. Also, this weekend is less clear in my mind (see below)

Meanwhile, the Pac appears to be losing some of the AA phase.. both the WPO and EPO are neutralizing.  This "could" herald an end to the arctic delivery into the Canadian shield via that particularly conveyor/method.  There are subtle hints at a AO/NAO decline entering January, so we may also merely relay one form of delivery into another, with perhaps some disrupted winter in between -- perhaps a thaw in early Jan?  

The other thought in that is that the EPO has been forecast to rise before, only to see the GEFs correct it back down, over the last months ( I have noticed ); and it verified that way (seasonal persistence is factor-able).  However, this time the WPO is also mirroring it, however, so it appears the Pac circulation would need to change to some degree. 

Overall, though, these teleconnector changes are not overwhelmingly large; more skill in determining the pattern "type" takes place when you have larger changes in these domain spaces. 

As to this weekend... I am not so convinced we won't have a region-wide colder result there.  The trends of the operational GFS have been to build more +PP in Ontario and points west in S. Canada.  Meanwhile, the frontal drape is darn near by.   Keep in mind, shear climo argues it gets difficult to blithely run warm boundaries up to BTV like the GGEM and Euro.  These latter model types have a meridonal bias beyond D4 as it is, so correcting for that a little may drop that boundary flatter (which by default means a possible more W-E orientation, farther S...).  As is, the 12z version of the GFS is starting to look icy-dicey in Upstate NY to CNE, with contention as to where to place the front over SNE.   Lastly, the conditional environs of having a good snow pack may play a roll in modulating lower level thickness should a front get into fight with ageostgrophy.  

Having said all that ...yeah, it could still warm up.  Heh.  I'm just not completely sold on how much or if it will.  Just sayin'

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, the GEFs teleconnectors suggest some changes lurking ...unsure how profound those will be.  The PNA rises through the end of the month ...might go positive for a time, but a substantial enough phase adjustment to suspect more storminess lurks during the week of x-mass. Also, this weekend is less clear in my mind (see below)

Meanwhile, the Pac appears to be losing some of the AA phase.. both the WPO and EPO are neutralizing.  This "could" herald an end to the arctic delivery into the Canadian shield via that particularly conveyor/method.  There are subtle hints at a AO/NAO decline entering January, so we may also merely relay one form of delivery into another, with perhaps some disrupted winter in between -- perhaps a thaw in early Jan?  

The other thought in that is that the EPO has been forecast to rise before, only to see the GEFs correct it back down, over the last months ( I have noticed ); and it verified that way (seasonal persistence is factor-able).  However, this time the WPO is also mirroring it, however, so it appears the Pac circulation would need to change to some degree. 

Overall, though, these teleconnector changes are not overwhelmingly large; more skill in determining the pattern "type" takes place when you have larger changes in these domain spaces. 

As to this weekend... I am not so convinced we won't have a region-wide colder result there.  The trends of the operational GFS have been to build more +PP in Ontario and points west in S. Canada.  Meanwhile, the frontal drape is darn near by.   Keep in mind, shear climo argues it gets difficult to blithely run warm boundaries up to BTV like the GGEM and Euro.  These latter model types have a meridonal bias beyond D4 as it is, so correcting for that a little may drop that boundary flatter (which by default means a possible more W-E orientation, farther S...).  As is, the 12z version of the GFS is starting to look icy-dicey in Upstate NY to CNE, with contention as to where to place the front over SNE.   Lastly, the conditional environs of having a good snow pack may play a roll in modulating lower level thickness should a front get into fight with ageostgrophy.  

Having said all that ...yeah, it could still warm up.  Heh.  I'm just not completely sold on how much or if it will.  Just sayin'

Hope your right man.. Even if we can just have a mid 30's and rain scenario..I think we'd take it and run

Hope your right man.. Even if we can just have a mid 30's and rain scenario..I think we'd take it and run

"Hope your right..."   ?     

I think you should focus on this part: "Having said all that ...yeah, it could still warm up.  Heh.  I'm just not completely sold on how much or if it will.  Just sayin' "

I'm betting on the AO and NAO getting more helpful.  Odds would suggest they do at some point.  This also just feels like a real winter this year that goes wire to wire.  What is the impact of that huge storm going across the north atlantic into the UK? Does that dislodge something in the NAO area?

I'm betting on the AO and NAO getting more helpful.  Odds would suggest they do at some point.  This also just feels like a real winter this year that goes wire to wire.  What is the impact of that huge storm going across the north atlantic into the UK? Does that dislodge something in the NAO area?

It's really just feeding the Icelandic low -- a feature that when in positive strength phase is consistent with the +NAO.  I suspect the low pressure transits through there is more a function of the overall circulation structure forcing cyclone storm tracks.  

What I find interesting is that the NAO went positive as it's dominant signature very close in time to when the Pacific went into that AA/-WPO/-EPO.   I am wondering if the Pac is having some transitory effect ...possibly by forcing R-wave spacing around the hemisphere, such that the NAO has been more than less locked into a negative node (L/W trough).  Whatever the cause aside ... the EPO and NAO have a +.3 correlation-coefficients according to the indices matrix, so having us in this -EPO/+NAO orientation for so long is actually defeating to longish odds.  Shouldn't really be doing this. 

It looks like if the torch happens it might..might.. be fairly short lived. Interseting though as we've gotten closer models and ens have sagged it south some

This may turn into a Spring back door scenario. The kind where NE MA is stuck in the cold and CT is torched. I could see that and it's modeled as such.

The top 4-5 inches is light fluffy, but underneath that is the solid rock glaze from Sunday, and then the frozen ground.  Seems like we would have really torch to lose all that

If models are right, it's gone down there. However, I do see some spread in the ensembles...especially nrn MA and srn NH. 

This may turn into a Spring back door scenario. The kind where NE MA is stuck in the cold and CT is torched. I could see that and it's modeled as such.

I have a feeling it  Could end up over or near NYC/N NJ ..Climo wise that's where it would peg it.. Just keeping it in the mid-upper 30's and foggy/light rain kind of thing

I have a feeling it  Could end up over or near NYC/N NJ ..Climo wise that's where it would peg it.. Just keeping it in the mid-upper 30's and foggy/light rain kind of thing

Well the thing is....it all depends on how strong the s/w is ejecting out of the southwest. As modeled, it's strong and does not care about snow on the ground. But, if it's a bit weaker the front easily could struggle north. But, it's a catch 22. Even if the front is south, you maybe have 1-3" of rain from lift over it. Part of me sees the icing potential possibly into nrn ORH county.

Well the thing is....it all depends on how strong the s/w is ejecting out of the southwest. As modeled, it's strong and does not care about snow on the ground. But, if it's a bit weaker the front easily could struggle north. But, it's a catch 22. Even if the front is south, you maybe have 1-3" of rain from lift over it. Part of me sees the icing potential possibly into nrn ORH county.

Looked like the 6z GFS sagged it even a bit more south

Thought you guys would appreciate 3-4 inches per hour rates I got on video on Sunday, along with some thunder-snow on video.

Here is the video of the snow chase. Huge fan of Frank Sinatra, hope you guys are to. Enjoy! ^_^

I caught the thunder snow twice, here is the separate video just for that. We also had some insane wind gusts when the band was drifting south at the tail end of it. Had to be over 40 MPH which caused some insane blowing and drifting.

extreme long shot at this time lead...but maybe coastal peeps can snag a xmas miracle with that cold HP building in N of NE tue/wed and get some OES.

The 06z ensembles have a semblance of something off to the SE too. Not going to lie, this weekend will be a kick in the balls. What are you gonna do.

Archived