• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA/fringes of MD - December 2013 continued

I have snow envy. we have had a total of about 2.5 inches all winter. I do think it is a plot by all of you to keep the snow to yourselves.

In all seriousness I expect that we will get enough to close the schools on Saturday. :) Wnep met (whack job) Joe Snedeker says we could get 4 or so this weekend, and has gone on record for next weekend as a chance of being stormy...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

23 with flurries this morning. I honestly feel better about this weekend then the 2 prior storms. i thing us in the LSV could have 2-4 / 3-5 event

Hopefully you make out better this time around. It's funny you said that, right now I'm just not feeling it for down here this time, but the models overnight certainly trended in a positive direction.

Hopefully you make out better this time around. It's funny you said that, right now I'm just not feeling it for down here this time, but the models overnight certainly trended in a positive direction.

i agree, to me it looks like things got better. Soon the  experts and more knowledgeable will be weighing in!

For a Miller B storm with a changeover this is not bad outcome as models are currently showing. Most of the precip comes before the change with just a bit of sleet and ice to lock in the snow cover.

I was enjoying my countryside commute from work yesterday with a blanket of white everywhere. This is the way winter should be imo. To have this in December is a bonus around here!

Canadian actually keeps things snow the entire event for pretty much everyone as the low tracks just south of PA. I tend to think that this event will be mainly frozen given placement of a decent high up north and a pretty flat looking wave coming across. Neutralish/Positive NAO seems to argue against any kind of big time phase and an overly huge storm. But there should still be a decent slug of moisture coming with this southern branch wave. At the moment I think Central PA will see a general light to moderate snowfall (2-5ish with perhaps an imbedded swath of higher amounts where best ratios meets best QPF) and also the potential of some mixing in the southern parts of PA depending on the track and evolution of the low.

But from what that says right now the Nam is the outlier but showing more tilt. http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdhmdTHE 00Z NAM IS MORE POSITIVELY TILTED WITH THIS SYSTEM THAN THEOTHER GUIDANCE, SHOWING GREATER PROGRESSION ACROSS THE LOWERMISSISSIPPI VALLEY AND LESS PROGRESSION ACROSS NORTHWEST MEXICO. THE 00Z CANADIAN WAS THE MOST PROGRESSIVE.  THE 00Z GEFS/12Z ECMWFENSEMBLE MEANS FAVOR A GFS/ECMWF/UKMET COMPROMISE HERE, WHICH ISPREFERRED WITH AVERAGE CONFIDENCE CONSIDERING THE SYSTEM'SPROGRESSIVE NATURE.

Thanks for the update Mag!

I have snow envy. we have had a total of about 2.5 inches all winter. I do think it is a plot by all of you to keep the snow to yourselves.

In all seriousness I expect that we will get enough to close the schools on Saturday. :) Wnep met (whack job) Joe Snedeker says we could get 4 or so this weekend, and has gone on record for next weekend as a chance of being stormy...

I am at 1.9" for the winter if that makes you feel any better... :)

The Weather Channel is really banking on this storm developing to be something huge... they are throwing out general 3 to 8 and heaviest being 10" or more... the headline "Snow threat: Electra may ruin your weekend" is absolutely ridiculous...

I can see this playing out as the past few systems where over running produces early snowfall and the warm air does not come north until very late in the game... I just dont see this being more than a 2-4 or 3-6 type event right now

The Weather Channel is really banking on this storm developing to be something huge... they are throwing out general 3 to 8 and heaviest being 10" or more... the headline "Snow threat: Electra may ruin your weekend" is absolutely ridiculous...

I can see this playing out as the past few systems where over running produces early snowfall and the warm air does not come north until very late in the game... I just dont see this being more than a 2-4 or 3-6 type event right now

That's where my thoughts are at the moment.  Looking like most of the state should get in on the action...nice moderate snowfall.

Hype machine is full steam ahead. It's been getting worse since their focus changed from weather news to weather entertainment a few years ago. Anything to get the ratings up, I guess.

I've convinced all of my coworkers to use NWS forecasts and avoid TWC at all costs.

Especially if she refuses to give you a lapdance. 

The thing about these Miller B's is simple. It's all about the dry slot and watching it on radar.

*cue Jaws theme*

Doesn't mean all will bust but that's the key. 

must be your elavation, i only have 1.25..........

You guys up north may go into single digits overnight. Looks like were in the mid teens.

I measured 1.75" from the Saturday storm - MDT had 1.8".

I had 1.5" on Sunday before the layer of ice compacted everything... had .4" from Tuesday... I believe this is the first time since moving here and recording measurements that I am trailing MDT lol... they reported 1.9" each day for Sunday and Tuesday

I had 1.5" on Sunday before the layer of ice compacted everything... had .4" from Tuesday... I believe this is the first time since moving here and recording measurements that I am trailing MDT lol... they reported 1.9" each day for Sunday and Tuesday

either the person that use to measure retired, or they bought a ruler with bigger numbers so they can see them!

Archived