Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA/fringes of MD - December 2013 continued

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice blow-up of precip just east of Pittsburgh but it looks to escape NE.

Looks just as good to our SW, growing too.  Most impressive backfilling I can remember seeing from a storm here ever... would be interested in some opinions from the Mets here as to why this is happening.  Even the RUC runs this evening weren't showing more than .05 qpf after 7PM.  Turns out we might hit 8" after all!!!

Only 5.9" on top of my car. You sure you're not including the stuff that was on the ground before this storm? :P

Still, looks like we have enough in line to get us above 6", and maybe even above 7". ^_^

Had a hair over 6" a little while ago in the parking lot here, assuming a Monster 16oz can is 6" lol.

The changeover has begun in Tamaqua. Hearing the dreaded "ping" on the outside window awnings. As it stands 5.25" of true snow has fallen during the storm. I now cleared my measuring area to see how much sleet/mixed falls. I also have an uncleaned area for the new 24 measurement rules.

We'll see how we finish up.

Rain now, either 32 or 33 but it's definitely above freezing.

The snow came quickly, nearly all of it from 3-6 pm. Got 3.5" which was close to what I expected. Although the snow underperformed a bit compared to what CTP called for (which I suspected was too high anyways), it wasn't bad and I have no complaints.... still a real snowstorm in my book.

To get 3 snowstorms in a week, each with 3-6", is pretty incredible for any place outside the mountains or LES snowbelts.

Well, the arctic air continues to ever-so-slowly bleed southward.  Voyager is down to 20.  I'm 25.3 degrees with a pretty good NE wind.  Zack (from HGR) is at 32.  Pretty safe to say right here the storm will not end as plain rain.  In fact, I really have had practically no freezing rain so far.  It's just been plenty of sleet.  I can still stick my finger down into the snow and there is no resistance.

To add it all up, the winter weather during the past 6 days produced 1.7" of snow last Sunday; 0.2" + .15" of freezing rain last Tuesday; 3.5" of snow today;  approx. 0.2" of sleet.  All before the middle of the month!  Nice.

They might've measured on an existing snow bank (though they were few and far between).

I have about .5" of straight sleet out on top of roughly 3.25" of snow.

lol the social media report was now changed from 5.3 to 3.5"... must have been entered wrong

its a pretty good rain right now... I should have melted the snow in my rain gauge before the changeover

The 850 low going north of your latitude automatically means mixing rule strikes again. But that was a nice front end snow dump for the type of storm this is and Central PA climo.

But not for too long. Either the precip will shut off soon, or the low will pass soon and colder temperatures aloft will move in and change whatever is left back to snow. No biggie, if anything, the crusty top just makes it a bit harder to get rid of :P

Archived