Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 10th/11th winter storm threat

jamesnichols1989

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

link, por favor my map shows less than 20% probs for anywhere getting 4 inches

the probs you see are right, at first it literally had 0 for anything over 2 inches... the big change was showing probs of 1-10 percent from anything higher than 4 inches.  there was just a lag at first when i reported the map was out

Meaning they weren't there before. not that the %'s increased.

It's around a 50% chance for me, Phil and Ginxy for 2"...that seems fair.  The GFS is going to trim back I don't think there's any doubt on that.

The wild card is the potential for some banding, but we'll have to wait and see.  1-3"...and maybe 2-4 on the immediate coast is a possibility.

We do this dance every system it seems that's maginal.  The euro swings way right and comes left...the NCEP stuff goes way left and eventually they converge.  NAM/GFS are often the first to come around to the idea of some storm....but always Rick Robey the free throw and go too far.

Shortest term the Euro will have been closer to right with .2 to .3...but it was also totally blind to the system until 18 hours ago.

Coastal folk are tougher and can handle it when things don't pan out as expected

It always pays to know your climo well...then it illustrates the reality of certain expectations. Knowing the variance of climo is probably just as important. If someone "averages" 4.0" of snow to this point in the season, that average is comprised of a whole plethora of years where snowfall was either close to 0" or 10". Near 0" being the mode and the average gets "inflated" by years where we might have had a 11" snowstorm on 12/5 or something.

2010, I didn't receive my first 1" snowfall until 12/23. 2008 I didn't receive it until 12/19. 2007 I didn't receive it until 12/13. Those are 3 recent years that ended up above normal for snowfall despite relatively "late" first events over 1".

Archived