12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forecast temps looks great through until Sunday. Hopefully we can minimize melting of last night's snow although northerly flow may not take over for a few hours now. Clipper snow should have no trouble sticking around when that swings through. Pretty frigid as well so ratios will be favourable.

Tonight

Cloudy. 40 percent chance of flurries overnight. Low minus 8. 16.gif

Tuesday

Mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. High minus 3. 08.gif

Wednesday

A mix of sun and cloud with 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 8. High minus 4. 08.gif

Thursday

A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 12. High minus 5. 02.gif

Friday

A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 9. High minus 4. 02.gif

Saturday

Cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 7. High minus 4. 16.gif

Sunday

A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 8. High minus 5. 02.gif

Layers will be my MO for the week...I was originally thinking Tuesday morning would be the coldest of the week....with a decent snow pack and the clipper Wednesday bringing in a new surge of artic air and winds....it now looks like Thursday morning will be the most brutal day of the week...windchills near 20 below zero....in the words of shaggy...."zoinks!!!"

MAV takes us below zero on Thursday morning.  Given what looks to be a pretty favorable radiational cooling setup, I'd say there's a chance.  I posted some stats last winter that showed that LAF can get below zero with less than an inch or no snow on the ground but that it's more uncommon to go extremely far below zero under those conditions. 

4 inch soil temps running a good 15 to 20 degrees colder through the 08DEC compared to last year (In Illinois at least)...

12Z NAM has windchills approaching 25 below zero Thursday morning in portions of LOT....

That's the kind of cold I do not like!

Made it to 19° at RAC. Wind is whipping up the snow a bit.

Brutal outside...that wind/temp ...wow...still 6F

Sun?  Yeah...we get a lot of it when its very cold, but we pay for it in very cold overnight temps, especially in the valleys when the wind goes calm.

Ground temps here must be way down with not having any snow cover and subzero temps.  Even this thin little couple of inches isn't going to insulate much.

Temps have actually drained back a few degrees here as well today.  Was 12 around noon, and it's now down to 8 with full sun.  12z guidance holds off the stronger winds tonight until after midnight, so we may quickly drop below zero this eve before temps start to bounce back up later in the night. 

EDIT:  Tremendous upper jet over much of the MW this afternoon.  Near 200mph winds screaming at about 30000ft. 

Hi res models show us absoultely tanking toinight into the single digits below zero....winds should stay elelvated enough to keep us above zero, closer to mos gudance I would think. Then again we have a fresh snowcover.

Was just looking at the latest HRRR (20z).  Shows several pockets dipping to -5, and even -10 in some of the valleys of northern IL/southern WI by midnight.  Even some pockets of -20 showing up in northern WI by then.

93bn.jpg

Was just looking at the latest HRRR (20z).  Shows several pockets dipping to -5, and even -10 in some of the valleys of northern IL/southern WI by midnight.  Even some pockets of -20 showing up in northern WI by then.

93bn.jpg

Seems pretty extreme but with temperatures below zero in eastern IA already  it might mean subzero lows in far eastern WI arent out of the question.

Archived