Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Storm next weekend has better teleconnector support than this misery ever did

Typhoon Tip

This one?

Post Christmas Snowstorm of 1969 (December 25-28,1969)

A foot of snow had already fallen on December 22, 1969, but this was outdone by another storm system which began moving northward along the east coast Christmas night. On the morning of the 27th, with 18" already on the ground at Albany, the storm stalled off the New England coast. It then began to move inland for a short period before heading back out to sea on the 28th. A total of 26.7" of snow fell at Albany, the third greatest storm total on record. However, Vermont surpassed that, with 30" at Burlington and 44" at Waitsfield, southwest of Montpelier. In and around the Capital District, it was a heavy, wet snowfall, and the snow mixed with freezing rain at times. Snow removal became quite difficult, and some streets were not cleared for 3-4 weeks. The city of Albany public works continued round the clock snow removal for over a month before things returned near normal. Two million dollars were spent on snow removal, a record at the time.

Was it a big deal in ENE?

Yeah that one. It was a bomb but flipped alot of us over to rain. Kind of like what the GGEM did last nite

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we're talking a general foot plus in the region... I can only come up with three in my memory for the HV going back to 1975. I know 1969-71 was quite snowy in that time frame, but too young to recall what date events occurred.

Xmas 1978

December 30, 2000

Xmas 2002

If we get into the 8-12" category then add a few more.

Then there are the 25 or so other years that I hoped for a big holiday snowstorm and the potential wasn't realized. :) ..some of those years had minor snows obviously.

1975 was great, but I was talking Holiday period like 12/24-Jan1

Dec 21-22, 1975...BOS had over 15" too. That was a great storm for SNE.

Give them the day off paid Scrooge.

I've made Friday optional. I'll probably be there alone. Thankfully the lull doesn't take holidays. I'll be stacking units of lumber and stowing anything that's not nailed down if need be. The 2k site is tough as there isn't a lot of room around the immediate area of construction despite the parcel of land being a couple hundred acres.

Man lots of temps above freezing east of ORH....you guys must have lost a decent amt of snowcover today. Hopefully it's cool enough out there for all snow tomorrow nite

There was enough to easily survive a 40* day with the lowest sun angle of the year. Also, NAM keeps it subfreezing at least through late morning with snow on the doorstep. I think once winds subside we drop but the dew is 24 which limits the floor. 18Z tomorrow H9 temps -4C and winds not off the water so I'm not too worried.

Still have a full thin snow cover here...but I noticed lower down while driving, it got torched in the sun exposed spots. Hopefully a little refresher tomorrow night to seal the white Christmas.

Did you guys have sun there today?!?! I was locked in low clouds with pixie dust. I thought for sure well east of here was cloudy and -sn.

We had snow in the morning, but the sun came out after lunchtime.

Are you liking what you see wrt the possible 'event' . I saw you gave it a 25-33% chance of whiffing. Sorry to say, but I have a feeling that this ends up inside the BM and, while sn+ falls out here Ray gets one last middle finger from 2010. Not that I want that to happen but I had a vision of that on the way home looking at the barely visible moon. Pretty scientific, I know, but perhaps as accurate as the models from this range.

Are you liking what you see wrt the possible 'event' . I saw you gave it a 25-33% chance of whiffing. Sorry to say, but I have a feeling that this ends up inside the BM and, while sn+ falls out here Ray gets one last middle finger from 2010. Not that I want that to happen but I had a vision of that on the way home looking at the barely visible moon. Pretty scientific, I know, but perhaps as accurate as the models from this range.

You need to go into Dreamtime mode again... at least those verified

Ahhhhhh-bullsh*t-chooooo ....

Whew, had to sneeze.

I've made Friday optional. I'll probably be there alone. Thankfully the lull doesn't take holidays. I'll be stacking units of lumber and stowing anything that's not nailed down if need be. The 2k site is tough as there isn't a lot of room around the immediate area of construction despite the parcel of land being a couple hundred acres.

Good man

What town/county is your 2K site in?

I wonder if these people know what they are getting into building a house at 2K. LOL

Compared to Euro? When were they alike?

No I just meant that there's pretty big changes even in the short term in how IT handles guidance which to me means anything longer term is in question. Same with the GFS. Not sure how steady the EC has been, still outside the range I care that much about any model...IE inside of about 84-96 I'll start to believe what they forecast.

I've had 100' of potential the last few years, I'm all potentialled out.

No I just meant that there's pretty big changes even in the short term in how IT handles guidance which to me means anything longer term is in question. Same with the GFS. Not sure how steady the EC has been, still outside the range I care that much about any model...IE inside of about 84-96 24-36 I'll start to believe what they forecast.

I've had 100' of potential the last few years, I'm all potentialled out.

small typo nbd

Archived