e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Storm next weekend has better teleconnector support than this misery ever did

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure the GFS is in it's utterly clueless period, but not sold yet that it will be as crazy as the Euro. 0Z probably tempers that somewhat...it couldn't be any deeper.

lol, I'm not sold on anything period. It's nice to have something interesting to follow but I'll start to take it more seriously if things look promising Thursday night/ Friday Morning. If there is a possibility of a heavy snowfall I'm ghoing to have a lot of prep at the site on Friday. Hate to go through the batten down the hatches drill for nothing. Certainly would rather have the Euro on board than any other model but at this range it's all just speculation really. Sure would be nice to get tagged by a left hook though.

lol, I'm not sold on anything period. It's nice to have something interesting to follow but I'll start to take it more seriously if things look promising Thursday night/ Friday Morning. If there is a possibility of a heavy snowfall I'm ghoing to have a lot of prep at the site on Friday. Hate to go through the batten down the hatches drill for nothing. Certainly would rather have the Euro on board than any other model but at this range it's all just speculation really. Sure would be nice to get tagged by a left hook though.

Give them the day off paid Scrooge.

The one thing is climo. Big kahunas frankly are relatively rare in the final days of Dec. We get them in the 1st 2 weeks and of course Jan-Mar. I have no idea why. But it could mean an inland bomb which leaves 7 inches followed by mix with 2 inches on top on the back end. Full snowy storm is rare (big storm) for the immediate Boston area this time in Dec. Will....what am I missing?

Even here Christmas to New Years period big snowstorms are bit uncommon. Obviously there have been the notable ones, but I just feel like there has always been a lot of wasted potential during that week. Of course my memories before 2005 are all from a bit south of Albany in the HV.

The one thing is climo. Big kahunas frankly are relatively rare in the final days of Dec. We get them in the 1st 2 weeks and of course Jan-Mar. I have no idea why. But it could mean an inland bomb which leaves 7 inches followed by mix with 2 inches on top on the back end. Full snowy storm is rare (big storm) for the immediate Boston area this time in Dec. Will....what am I missing?

just dice rolling I would guess... What is so different about the tail end of Dec vs January?

Dec 23-24, 1961?

Dec 29, 1976.

Both of those were blockbusters for SNE...at least the eastern half.

Thanks Will. Of course the 12/16/08 event was pretty big...12+ for sure. So it DOES happen.

I think you are correct that we seem to lack the big coastal monsters that occur at other times (like first half of Dec and then later in winter)...a lot of those events weren't huge coastals.

Man lots of temps above freezing east of ORH....you guys must have lost a decent amt of snowcover today. Hopefully it's cool enough out there for all snow tomorrow nite

Still have a full thin snow cover here...but I noticed lower down while driving, it got torched in the sun exposed spots. Hopefully a little refresher tomorrow night to seal the white Christmas.

1969??

This one?

Post Christmas Snowstorm of 1969 (December 25-28,1969)

A foot of snow had already fallen on December 22, 1969, but this was outdone by another storm system which began moving northward along the east coast Christmas night. On the morning of the 27th, with 18" already on the ground at Albany, the storm stalled off the New England coast. It then began to move inland for a short period before heading back out to sea on the 28th. A total of 26.7" of snow fell at Albany, the third greatest storm total on record. However, Vermont surpassed that, with 30" at Burlington and 44" at Waitsfield, southwest of Montpelier. In and around the Capital District, it was a heavy, wet snowfall, and the snow mixed with freezing rain at times. Snow removal became quite difficult, and some streets were not cleared for 3-4 weeks. The city of Albany public works continued round the clock snow removal for over a month before things returned near normal. Two million dollars were spent on snow removal, a record at the time.

Was it a big deal in ENE? Edit... weak near BOS

Archived