CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Major Severe Weather Outbreak November 17

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notable part of day 1 outlook

BY THE EARLY SUN MORNING...SFC LOW WILL BEGIN TO DEEPEN OVER CNTRL  IA...WITH AN ATTENDANT COLD FRONT ACCELERATING EWD. WITH NEARLY  SATURATED LOW-LEVELS...TSTMS MAY REMAIN NEAR-SFC BASED DURING THE  OVERNIGHT HRS ESPECIALLY WITHIN THE MOIST AXIS/WARM CONVEYOR...AND  COULD SUPPORT A DMGG WIND AND PERHAPS A BRIEF/WEAK TORNADO THREAT  GIVEN STRONG LOW-LEVEL SHEAR. 

So will we probably see scattered cellular activity along the cold front then (a.k.a. hit and miss type)?

I would guess a broken line of supercells for the first few hours, which will eventually transition to more of a squall line with embedded sups.  The model depiction from earlier in the thread showed a firm, undercut looking line of storms.  I really can't see a scenario like that actually happening. 

Not covering much of IL, although it does include Chicagoland, all of IN, much of OH, the southern half of MI and N KY.

Tornadoes not emphasized nearly as much as the damaging wind threat.

It seems folks are just waiting to make sure these models arent kooky before they go gungho on the tor threat. Because obviously the threat so far seems very high.

There is this:

SHOULD SFC BASED WARM SECTOR
INITIATION OCCUR...80+ KT MID-LEVEL WSWLY WINDS WILL PROMOTE FAST
MOVING STORMS THAT SHOULD REMAIN AHEAD OF ADVANCING COLD FRONT.
THESE STORMS WILL LIKELY BE DISCRETE WHERE LARGE HODOGRAPHS AND 50+
KT EFFECTIVE BULK SHEAR WILL PROMOTE SUPERCELLS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING
LARGE HAIL AND TORNADOES. HOWEVER...DEGREE OF THE TORNADO THREAT
/SHOULD THESE STORMS DEVELOP/ WILL DEPEND ON MAGNITUDE OF
DESTABILIZATION WITHIN THE WARM SECTOR BOUNDARY LAYER.

It can be difficult to pin down the magnitude of various hazards (hail/wind/tornado) even on the day of the event and even for the most skilled folks.  I think SPC probably sees what we do...that the potential is there for this to get pretty ugly but we are talking about minor things that can tip this either way. 

It can be difficult to pin down the magnitude of various hazards (hail/wind/tornado) even on the day of the event and even for the most skilled folks.  I think SPC probably sees what we do...that the potential is there for this to get pretty ugly but we are talking about minor things that can tip this either way. 

I like southeast IL, south-central IN down to the Ohio River area on the KY border for the best discrete potential ahead of the main surging line of storms. Would be surprised to see a pretty strong tornado in that area IF discrete storms can fire out ahead of the line and IF enough destabilization occurs. Looks like I'll be heading for that area.

I like southeast IL, south-central IN down to the Ohio River area on the KY border for the best discrete potential ahead of the main surging line of storms. Would be surprised to see a pretty strong tornado in that area IF discrete storms can fire out ahead of the line and IF enough destabilization occurs. Looks like I'll be heading for that area.

Tough area to chase.  If things pop early enough west of Martin and Dubois county would be your best bet visibility wise.  The only way you are going to see anything east of there is to be under it.  Storms are going supposed to be moving pretty fast and roads are not conducive to quick movement once you get into the hill country. 

Been watching the clouds screaming north this morning along with gusts being transported down from time to time, strong jet in place transporting moisture.

Anyway, for tomorrow... 4KM NAM initiates by 18z west of Chicago. Looks like storms are near there by 19z. Surface CAPE above 1800. SRH would suggest they'd spin. The NAM does develop morning junk in the area, but it pushes north out of the area. I would definitely watch for mesoscale boundaries from that for enhanced tornado potential.. 

Totally different setup, but since I started working at LOT in July 2010, this is the most legit looking widespread potential for the CWA since 4/10/11. Very concerned for this area because people here already are not prepared for tornadoes, then add to the mix that it's November. Sent from my SCH-I535

So narrowly missing 6/5/10. Quite a few WFOs have the problem of properly conveying the threat at this time of year.

Notable part of day 1 outlook

BY THE EARLY SUN MORNING...SFC LOW WILL BEGIN TO DEEPEN OVER CNTRL  IA...WITH AN ATTENDANT COLD FRONT ACCELERATING EWD. WITH NEARLY  SATURATED LOW-LEVELS...TSTMS MAY REMAIN NEAR-SFC BASED DURING THE  OVERNIGHT HRS ESPECIALLY WITHIN THE MOIST AXIS/WARM CONVEYOR...AND  COULD SUPPORT A DMGG WIND AND PERHAPS A BRIEF/WEAK TORNADO THREAT  GIVEN STRONG LOW-LEVEL SHEAR. 

Obviously not as potent as the main energy, but both the NAM and GFS have a PV anomaly crossing eastern IA early Sunday. This could certainly provide the impetus for storms in that part of the warm sector.

I have been around thist board long enough to know that when the people in the know here start taking something seriously, it's time to pay attention.  I understand the concept of what is being talked about, even if the nuts and bolts escape me. 

It looks like there is potential for a serious threat tomorrow for the Chicago area.  By looking at everyone's maps, and reading the discussions from SPC, and others, I can grasp what is going on.  However, after watching the local mets this morning on 2, 5, and 7.  I cannot for the life of me understand why this is being played down.  All anyone has talked about this morning is today's rain, and the possibility of more tomorrow.  Only one TV station mentioned the possibility of a severe storm tomorrow.  Last night, at 10 o'clock one met even put the heavy rain to the north, and talked about the Chicago area getting maybe .3" of rain.  He mentioned the "breezy conditions" for today, and Sunday but that's as far as it went.  I was trying to explain to my better half what tomorrow may hold, but she wasn't having any of it.  "just some rain and maybe some wind" is how she dismissed it. 

Granted, I get that tomorrow depends on initiation, as well as some other factors,  but the situation for tomorrow looks serious, and definitely something that looks like it is going to have to be "now-casted" based on how things develop.  I don't remember the last time I ever saw a threat like this in November. 

Archived