Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Severe Weather Outbreak November 17

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh oh...0z NAM coming in with even more instability by 15z Sunday morning, SBCAPE/MLCAPE values of 1500 j/kg now, only making STP go up even higher with southerly sfc winds.

namCGP_con_stp_039.gif

That is ridiculous for 9 AM in November. I think the NAM has been most bullish with morning destabilization but even toning it down a bit would still be enough.

wow that is def slower. Uh oh.

Squall line reaches ORD by 19-20z, but it's out in front of that line where some discrete cells will certainly be possible a few hours earlier. The action really starts first thing Sunday across IL and progresses into IN and OH during the second half of the day. At least based off of the guidance we're seeing here. Any additional heating and CAPE help will only had fuel to the fire.

00z 4k NAM 18z CAPE.

wow that is def slower. Uh oh.

Victor Gensini gave a somewhat unrelated talk about using PV for the placement of large scale features the LOT winter wx workshop and basically predicted that the trend with this system would be stronger/slower.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That is ridiculous for 9 AM in November. I think the NAM has been most bullish with morning destabilization but even toning it down a bit would still be enough.

The question is will initiation occur early enough to tap that around here.

Going to be close. I'm thinking a 17-18z main initiation time, which might mean development over the metro area.

Victor Gensini gave a somewhat unrelated talk about using PV for the placement of large scale features the LOT winter wx workshop and basically predicted that the trend with this system would be stronger/slower.Sent from my SCH-I535

Is that talk or info available online? Sounds like an interesting read.

Not much to add that hasn't already been said.  This looks bad.

^^^

I'm going to stop posting images, since we all know the data looks pretty glaring now. It will be interesting to see how the 00z GFS and Euro come out. Look for SPC to likely expand the risk zone with their upcoming Day 2 outlook with a MDT addition. I noticed that the 11/10/2002 analog continues to show up as a relatively close match over on the CIPS site. Dare I say this looks even more impressive after reviewing the NARR maps? Although the aerial coverage is not nearly as expansive. (I will note that the 4km NAM sim radar showed one hell of a squall line - in terms of length - from NY all the way down to LA by 6z Monday)

0Z NAM 4km hits convective temp in the early afternoon around the Ohio River and starts popping discrete cells in 500 0-1 SRH. Other models still have the significant amount of morning convection... namely many of the members of the SREF. Still very ominous looking... that morning elevated convection might save the southern areas from the supercells but it probably won't stop the serious looking line rolling through toward 0Z.

I think someone brought up the 11/15/05 event earlier in this thread and it being plagued by cloud cover/stratiform rain mass. The strength of that system is similar to the one forecast on Sunday and it managed to pull off an outbreak (verifying the high risk) despite problems with instability, with a 60+ kt LLJ and 110 kt H5 jet streak/etc. Surface temperatures that day in the OV were a bit warmer than forecasted on Saturday, but it also has to be taken into account that mid level temps will likely be significantly colder with this one. Dewpoints were relatively similar to what is forecast.

The NAM and GFS have definitely slowed down a good 3-5hrs since last night, and even this morning's 12z suites.  This puts Chicagoland in a more serious risk IMO.  If storms initiate by 18z, this would place the zone of initiation very close to, or even a bit west of Chicago per latest models.  As a few have already mentioned, the Bears kickoff at noon at Soldier Field.  Who would have thought a Bears game in mid November would have such a serious severe threat looming. 

Just a tick slower than the 18z, but definitely slower than the 12z, and last night's 00z.  Every little bit matters in a big way for the LOT area.

It'll continue to slow, too.  It's like RC was saying about Victor's point...models aren't handling PV anomaly well.  Did this on 10/4 too.  Chicago's in big trouble...

Archived