Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Severe Weather Outbreak November 17

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't consider it a trend until the Euro budges off it's rock-steady solution that it's had so far.

I agree with this, Global models vs US models when there is this much disagreement you have to look at the ensemble forecast and individual ensemble members.  I doubt the Euro will change it's idea's all that much, even though I may be going out on a limb with this.

Something I've noticed after looking at crossover maps and a lot of forecast soundings is that the directional shear really doesn't jump off the page. It's more of a gentle/gradual veering with height throughout the column. Speed shear is phenomenal. With a rapidly deepening surface low you have to wonder if sfc winds may tend to be a little more backed.

Something I've noticed after looking at crossover maps and a lot of forecast soundings is that the directional shear really doesn't jump off the page. It's more of a gentle/gradual veering with height throughout the column. Speed shear is phenomenal. With a rapidly deepening surface low you have to wonder if sfc winds may tend to be a little more backed.

The wind profiles are very similar to/reminiscent of 3/2/12 in this regard.

Besides the Henryville tornado and others in that area that day, were the other strong tornadoes that occurred out in the warm sector in Central and Eastern KY on the warm front? I can't quite remember. I do however remember chasing that day and getting suckered away from the warm front when I saw some of the hi res models showing ridiculous amounts of CAPE for March... smdh...

11/10/02 also comes to mind where localized backing of the surface winds in western OH enhanced the low level shear and undoubtedly enhanced the supercells that ended up firing there.

Besides the Henryville tornado and others in that area that day, were the other strong tornadoes that occurred out in the warm sector in Central and Eastern KY on the warm front? I can't quite remember. I do however remember chasing that day and getting suckered away from the warm front when I saw some of the hi res models showing ridiculous amounts of CAPE for March... smdh...

Yeah almost all the sig tor activity was along the warm front until that night in AL/GA.

Looking at the model runs for Sunday, there are some very similar positions of the 500mb features, compared to November 10, 2002. BTW, these images are on my website. Why?  Because the Van Wert F4 was tracking toward me (sort of) on that day!

http://www.greatlakes.salsite.com/SevereStorms/Nov_10_to_12_2002/model_images/nov_10_12z_500_vort_0hour.gif

http://www.greatlakes.salsite.com/SevereStorms/Nov_10_to_12_2002/model_images/nov_11_0z_500_vort_12hour.gif

00z UK shows the southern sfc low becoming dominant as well and moving from the NW tip of MO at 12z Sunday to the Upper Peninsula of MI at 72 hrs. It's rather similar to the 12z Euro with a bit more of an eastern track with the sfc low.

It's worth noting that the more western track of the sfc low with the 12z Euro serves to keep boundary layer winds basically straight out of the south, leading to stronger directional shear in the low levels.

Re: 11/10/2002, I think the wind profiles with the upcoming storm are more impressive. Does it mean we could get something that exceeds 11/10/02??? (rhetorical question)

I think the mesoscale takes over at a certain point (precip from the lead wave, gravity waves, etc.).  I don't want to speculate about this being worse than 11/10/02 since that's kinda one of all-time granddaddies for fall (up with 11/21-11/23/92 and 11/24/01).

I think the mesoscale takes over at a certain point (precip from the lead wave, gravity waves, etc.).  I don't want to speculate about this being worse than 11/10/02 since that's kinda one of all-time granddaddies for fall (up with 11/21-11/23/92 and 11/24/01).

Yea, 11/10/02 in my opinion was the biggest fall outbreak of my lifetime (22 years). That's the benchmark lol. But I agree with some of you guys, this comparison is interesting. 

Yea, 11/10/02 in my opinion was the biggest fall outbreak of my lifetime (22 years). That's the benchmark lol. But I agree with some of you guys, this comparison is interesting. 

No, if you were alive in 1992, then that outbreak is solidly the biggest fall outbreak of your lifetime (95 tornadoes, 45 sig tors, 6 violent).

I think the mesoscale takes over at a certain point (precip from the lead wave, gravity waves, etc.). I don't want to speculate about this being worse than 11/10/02 since that's kinda one of all-time granddaddies for fall (up with 11/21-11/23/92 and 11/24/01).

I put rhetorical in there deliberately :P

Up in the Great Lakes area, 10/24/01 was real bad too. What a crazy couple of falls those two years had.

Archived