joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November weather dicsussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's definitely some mixed signals in the long range. This is not an easy forecast for the energy mets...it could honestly differ by like 10-15F for a 1 week period in early December. We are teetering on the brink of haviong an arctic pattern over us...but also teetering on the brink of disaster with torching PAC air and the boundary lifted well north.

Yeah, I agree....a reason why the flags are out. 

GGEM looked icy D6+   .... never seen this model verify anything at that t-range though.   

experimental thought process here, but the seasonal trend for loading cold appears pretty clearly linked to the AA-phase/-EPO in the NP --> N/A region, and we've been doing this repeating in a +AO/-PNA anti-correlation.   What intrigues me is that now ... every member of the GEFS AO drops the index by almost 4 total SD, and raises the PNA 2 SD, over the next 10 days, while persisting with the -EPO.   The question naturally becomes what are the implications for cold.  I'm seeing every operational run there is other than the GFS indicating -20C at 850 into southern Canada beyond D6!    Personally believe the GFS' progressive bias may miss some of the meridional flow tendency, while at the same token the GGEM is probably over-done off the 00z guidance with its  -21C over ORH, D8.5

Polar or polar-arctic outbreak early signaled ... first NP/GL spreading E toward the 22nd.

when you see outputs like this it does excite the weenie to be an outie. great end of Nov storm in 2002 followed by a 2-4 then the great Dec 5th storm, at any rate seeing a pattern which can support these types of events is pretty encouraging and much better than not seeing it

attachicon.gif500hgt_comp_sup814.gif

Shockingly, I got shafted in both of those.  lol

I'm really pleased to see the rainy events  (or even some mixing??) shaping up.  As we move toward cooler weather, it's nice to have signs of the dry spell lessening.

No snow today, that's for sure.

54.3/30

when you see outputs like this it does excite the weenie to be an outie. great end of Nov storm in 2002 followed by a 2-4 then the great Dec 5th storm, at any rate seeing a pattern which can support these types of events is pretty encouraging and much better than not seeing it

attachicon.gif500hgt_comp_sup814.gif

There was also a light to moderate snow event November 1995, one of the years in that analog package.

SnowTotal-29Nov95.jpg

ineedsnow, this is Ray (famartin) Winter Storm Archive for NJ. Shows all winter snow/ice events from 93. Some of the older dates have those TWC maps if you want to get a little nostalgic. :

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/

Day 10 EURO would likely lead to a monster storm. As 'Wow" pointed out in the SE thread, you can see all 3 streams coming together at 240 hrs...Lala land so it doesn't matter, but fun to look at. 

I'm looking forward to a potential -AO/+PNA/-NAO pattern or at least have all three in the neutral phase at the same time by Thanksgiving week.  Although I don't know how that would pertain to us having a GOM southern slider or a GOM Miller A storm system impacting us sometime around the 26-27th timeframe.  Also GFS and EURO both show something developing in the GOM around that time period, allowing me to think that we see a miller A or southern slider.  GFS is a little warm as it has the arctic jet bottled up in Canada, while the EURO unleashes the hounds of the arctic on New England.  There is still another week plus of model watching, but the teleconnections are changing so there is a chance we see some type of storm system.

Well, the Euro package certainly came out in support of the polar-arctic outbreak..  Probably impacts the area after the 21st or 22nd.  According to NIC, all of Canada is snow covered.  Also noticing that many interior bodies of water have iced over..   More evidence of the state of the cryosphere, and how effective it may be for cold transport by lowering moderation.  

Archived