EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
October 2013 banter

GaWx

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called the county agent today and he confirmed that I, indeed, am being invaded by fall webworm caterpillars. He said he has received numerous calls about them during the last week or so. So, the infestation has been quite bad in this area. He told me not to worry about the trees. He's very confident they'll come back just fine come spring despite some of them having almost no green leaves left due to being dominated by the webs. Besides, he says it is too late to do anything now, regardless. Also, he says they're about to stop eating and will pupate (build cocoons) soon. They'll become moths next spring.

The guy was very nice. He even sent me his pic :) :

post-882-0-37915700-1380575982_thumb.jpg

I called the county agent today and he confirmed that I, indeed, am being invaded by fall webworm caterpillars. He said he has received numerous calls about them during the last week or so. So, the infestation has been quite bad in this area. He told me not to worry about the trees. He's very confident they'll come back just fine come spring despite some of them having almost no green leaves left due to being dominated by the webs. Besides, he says it is too late to do anything now, regardless. Also, he says they're about to stop eating and will pupate (build cocoons) soon. They'll become moths next spring.

The guy was very nice. He even sent me his pic :) :

attachicon.gifCountyAgent.jpg

Good to see hank is still on the job! ;)

Does Allan Huffman still do a blog at all? His Examiner site hasn't been update in forever and he no longer does a blog on here. Just wondering if anybody knew. TIA!

I believe since the company he was working for was bought out by a new company that they may not allow him to post any longer due to "potential for conflict of interest", but that's mere speculation on my part.

Oh noes!! :lol: :lol:

According to obongo the whole world  should have stopped spinning. Last I checked we still turning.

Due to the effect of the government shutdown on the NWS, there will be no weather until further notice.

I believe Id piss my self from laughing so hard if this was actually on the NWS sites.

I believe since the company he was working for was bought out by a new company that they may not allow him to post any longer due to "potential for conflict of interest", but that's mere speculation on my part.

Gotcha. Thanks very much! I hope that policy can bend a bit in the event of an impending winter storm. :o

Oh noes!! :lol: :lol:

According to obongo the whole world  should have stopped spinning. Last I checked we still turning.

I believe Id piss my self from laughing so hard if this was actually on the NWS sites.

Not funny, but here is what is up.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-7855-0-28665600-1380650542.png

Banter about caterpillars and more here. What do the caterpillars say for this winter?

I think we can add another critter to the list..... Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs. Those damn things have been in full force last couple days and sure to get worse over the next couple of weeks.

Ive tried soap water applied directly too them. Which they fly off and probably slowly die over a 12-18 hour period. I made some garlic tea bags.... tea to spray around the windows and doors. That doesn't help either.

Ive killed many around the door ways with flip flops thinking that the smell of death would deter them... not. I think that actually draws more in.

Ive got several 2 litter bottles may have to go to lowes today and an buy several small battery powered led lights and make some funnel traps.

I absolutly refuse to be sharing my warm house again with those nuisance bugs.

Due to the effect of the government shutdown on the NWS, there will be no weather until further notice.

Gotcha. Thanks very much! I hope that policy can bend a bit in the event of an impending winter storm. :o

This really sucks. Allan was pretty much the only met around Raleigh that posted here. I would really miss him posting here and his blog. I don't understand why some employers have to be so strict about this.

Archived