Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
October 2013 banter

GaWx

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will change my avatar in time for winter, just for you. Hopefully, it will help!

I wish you would.  It has caused me no end of confusion....to the point I was wandering around the yard, muttering, and grinding my teeth, and the neighbors thought I had hydrophobia.  You have shields up, at 100 percent, shielding you from the very thing you want..storms.   Yet, you called the Christmas storm with such mojo, I actually had snow on Christmas for the first time in forever.  I expect even the cave men, or sand men down here, never saw snow on Xmas.  Yet, yet you shield yourself, and by extension, the rest of us from storms...because your shields are at 100 percent...and any fool knows in the south, if you want to shield yourself from storms you only need 20 or 25 percent to shield your yard.  I'm like a speed freak at a pop festival hopping in place, shivering, chewing my tongue, and staring about wildly...and all because of the CR Conundrum.  Please stop :)  T

Lol why do you like sleet so much? My favorite weather is anything that is accompanied by wind. I love wind lol.

Already miss this past summer. Next 10 days are extremely boring.

Believe it or not.... sleet is pretty fun when sledding. Ive had a couple all sleet storms just need a few inches. But they act like little ball bearings unlike snow which is more friction. :whistle:^_^

If you love wind so much, you should eat more beans

:lol:

If you love wind so much, you should eat more beans

:lmao: I hate beans btw.

Believe it or not.... sleet is pretty fun when sledding. Ive had a couple all sleet storms just need a few inches. But they act like little ball bearings unlike snow which is more friction. :whistle:^_^

:lol:

In Chicago, I always hated sleet. One because it stung when it hit you,two the sound is annoying, and lastly it would significantly cut down on snow totals. I like graupel though. I hope we see a December 1989 repeat. It has been almost 5 years since I have seen snow on the ground.

:lmao: I hate beans btw.

In Chicago, I always hated sleet. One because it stung when it hit you,two the sound is annoying, and lastly it would significantly cut down on snow totals. I like graupel though. I hope we see a December 1989 repeat. It has been almost 5 years since I have seen snow on the ground.

In your current situation living in the south GA swamplands..... I bet 100 dollars that if it started sleeting and accumulating that you would be jumping for joy and squealing like a pig out of pure happiness.

In your current situation living in the south GA swamplands..... I bet 100 dollars that if it started sleeting and accumulating that you would be jumping for joy and squealing like a pig out of pure happiness.

We don't like talking about "squealing like a pig" here in Georgia... I start hearing banjo music and it goes down hill from there.  <_<

Lol why do you like sleet so much? My favorite weather is anything that is accompanied by wind. I love wind lol.

Already miss this past summer. Next 10 days are extremely boring.

What NCWeather said!  And much, much more.  Should you ever have the amazing opportunity of getting  4 to 6 inches of sleet, you'd not have these questions.  As for sound...you do know that the sound of the  wind made VanGogh chew off is ear, and later shoot himself, right?

I had some wonderful cad cooled wind just the other day, and expect more come early week.  Maybe you need to move out of the arm pit, and up here where the real stuff happens, since you won't go out and play with the crazed gators for entertainment :)   Here you have a golden chance to train up a pack of armidillos and do some python night hunting in the swamp, and instead you complain about the weather...amazing lack of foresight, sir :)   T

What NCWeather said!  And much, much more.  Should you ever have the amazing opportunity of getting  4 to 6 inches of sleet, you'd not have these questions.  As for sound...you do know that the sound of the  wind made VanGogh chew off is ear, and later shoot himself, right?

I had some wonderful cad cooled wind just the other day, and expect more come early week.  Maybe you need to move out of the arm pit, and up here where the real stuff happens, since you won't go out and play with the crazed gators for entertainment :)   Here you have a golden chance to train up a pack of armidillos and do some python night hunting in the swamp, and instead you complain about the weather...amazing lack of foresight, sir :)   T

Right the wildlife is amazing down there. Copperheads, Eastern Diamond, Pygmy Rattlers, Cotton mouths countless different speicies of  snakes & birds. If wildlife is not your thing then scoope the plant life..... the most fasinaticing is the carnvirous bogs in among the tall pines. You can and will find Droseras and Sarracenias.... just got to know where to look and not be afraid to be covered in leeches and ticks or being knee deep in muck... Which "Off" will help repell the ticks.... wont help with the blood sucking leeches.

I wish you would. It has caused me no end of confusion....to the point I was wandering around the yard, muttering, and grinding my teeth, and the neighbors thought I had hydrophobia. You have shields up, at 100 percent, shielding you from the very thing you want..storms. Yet, you called the Christmas storm with such mojo, I actually had snow on Christmas for the first time in forever. I expect even the cave men, or sand men down here, never saw snow on Xmas. Yet, yet you shield yourself, and by extension, the rest of us from storms...because your shields are at 100 percent...and any fool knows in the south, if you want to shield yourself from storms you only need 20 or 25 percent to shield your yard. I'm like a speed freak at a pop festival hopping in place, shivering, chewing my tongue, and staring about wildly...and all because of the CR Conundrum. Please stop :) T

Lol! Well, we don't want you running around, grinding your teeth in the yard like some rabid beast. :). I will fix it in time for winter. Maybe it'll bring us better luck this winter!

Right the wildlife is amazing down there. Copperheads, Eastern Diamond, Pygmy Rattlers, Cotton mouths countless different speicies of  snakes & birds. If wildlife is not your thing then scoope the plant life..... the most fasinaticing is the carnvirous bogs in among the tall pines. You can and will find Droseras and Sarracenias.... just got to know where to look and not be afraid to be covered in leeches and ticks or being knee deep in muck... Which "Off" will help repell the ticks.... wont help with the blood sucking leeches.

Didn't know that about leeches and Deet.  And deet chases away most everything I throw it at.  I even use it as ant spray now.  Best thing I've found for getting rid of them, and erasing the pheromone trails.  I wonder if Vicks would dissuade leeches?

I've seen the bug eating beasties at the Botanical Center in Atl., but not in the wild. 

I  love the reflective dark tea water in the swamp.  Seems like the best example of Alice's mirror...the place between dimensions.  T

"Lol! Well, we don't want you running around, grinding your teeth in the yard like some rabid beast. :). I will fix it in time for winter. Maybe it'll bring us better luck this winter! 

Many thanks, but I don't want to hinder your counter intuitive approach to weather mojo.  It's just I'd see it coming on radar, and it get close, then I'd see your avatar and I'd scream, "the shield is up, the shield is up!  Tell the Capt'n, we're not going to make it this time".  Then I'd wake up...and it wasn't a white x'mas.....after the first time....  T

Didn't know that about leeches and Deet.  And deet chases away most everything I throw it at.  I even use it as ant spray now.  Best thing I've found for getting rid of them, and erasing the pheromone trails.  I wonder if Vicks would dissuade leeches?

I've seen the bug eating beasties at the Botanical Center in Atl., but not in the wild. 

I  love the reflective dark tea water in the swamp.  Seems like the best example of Alice's mirror...the place between dimensions.  T

Yeah deet works well for other things Ive noticed. Vicks vapor rub? I don't know...

:)

Yeah being deep in nature like that has a mysterious but fun connection. Really makes you realize how small you are as an individual.

Well, I've been thinking about this for some time now and I think I'm going to give it a shot.

I'm going to create a Reef Tank. The definition from Wikipedia: reef aquarium or reef tank is a marine aquarium that prominently displays live corals and other marine invertebrates as well as fish that play a role in maintaining the tropical coral reef environment. A reef aquarium requires appropriately intense lighting, turbulent water movement, and more stable water chemistry than fish-only marine aquaria, and careful consideration is given to which reef animals are appropriate and compatible with each other."

I haven't decided on the final tank size yet but it will somewhere between 30-60 gallons. It's going to take some careful planning and lots of patience, but I think it will be pretty cool to have a live coral eco-system growing in my house! Do a Google search for reef tanks and take a look at the images. I'm going to document the whole process with videos and pictures, so maybe I can help someone else by avoiding my mistakes!

68_1aquarium_reeftank_fishtank.jpg

Well, I've been thinking about this for some time now and I think I'm going to give it a shot.

I'm going to create a Reef Tank. The definition from Wikipedia: reef aquarium or reef tank is a marine aquarium that prominently displays live corals and other marine invertebrates as well as fish that play a role in maintaining the tropical coral reef environment. A reef aquarium requires appropriately intense lighting, turbulent water movement, and more stable water chemistry than fish-only marine aquaria, and careful consideration is given to which reef animals are appropriate and compatible with each other."

I haven't decided on the final tank size yet but it will somewhere between 30-60 gallons. It's going to take some careful planning and lots of patience, but I think it will be pretty cool to have a live coral eco-system growing in my house! Do a Google search for reef tanks and take a look at the images. I'm going to document the whole process with videos and pictures, so maybe I can help someone else by avoiding my mistakes!

You will need to have backup power in case of a power failure.  Salt water tanks are a different animal than fresh water tanks and without water movement the oxygen level quickly crashes.

I have a question, not that it really matters much but I am just curious as to what happened to Wilkes? I have spent the summer away from the boards for the most part but last winter I remember he started every single thread and normally didn't bring much of anything to the tableau seemed to make many of the long timers angry. Did he just vanish? Or was he banned? If so I would like to read the chain of events that finally led to that! Once again I am just a curious or nosey would be another way to put it.

I have a question, not that it really matters much but I am just curious as to what happened to Wilkes? I have spent the summer away from the boards for the most part but last winter I remember he started every single thread and normally didn't bring much of anything to the tableau seemed to make many of the long timers angry. Did he just vanish? Or was he banned? If so I would like to read the chain of events that finally led to that! Once again I am just a curious or nosey would be another way to put it.

He was banned. I forget what thread it was in. I know it was in one of the pattern and discussion threads.

Well, I see we've found Nemo!  Right there center tank.  Steve, Steve, Steve....do you have any idea how upset that makes his father??  Have you no heart??  Why not raise lobsters instead :)  And cows...for butter.  T

Yeah deet works well for other things Ive noticed. Vicks vapor rub? I don't know...

:)

Yeah being deep in nature like that has a mysterious but fun connection. Really makes you realize how small you are as an individual.

:)  Yep, most things in nature can make you feel insignificant sometimes.  I'm pretty sure that's why Metal man never leaves his basement even though he lives right there at the swamp.  You get back up in there some and the rest of the world just goes away....  Tony

You will need to have backup power in case of a power failure.  Salt water tanks are a different animal than fresh water tanks and without water movement the oxygen level quickly crashes.

True. It would be wise to invest in a 12v battery back up system with dc to ac converter.

Good luck on your adventure once you get it up and running post some pictures. Hope you have some deep pockets. By the time of you figure the tank, water, chemicals, pumps & piping, coral & sand, lighting system you may be near or excess of 2 gs.

Heck yeah I would.

:lmao:

I'm going to create a Reef Tank. The definition from Wikipedia: A [/size]reef aquarium or [/size]reef tank is a [/size]marine aquarium that prominently displays live [/size]corals and other [/size]marine invertebrates as well as fish that play a role in maintaining the tropical [/size]coral reef environment. A reef aquarium requires appropriately intense lighting, turbulent water movement, and more stable water chemistry than fish-only marine aquaria, and careful consideration is given to which reef animals are appropriate and compatible with each other."[/size]

Wish we were closer.I have a new empty 110 gal tank in my basement. I've had a marine tank and as some have said it's a major investment.

Got some good prices yesterday and I'm looking at roughly $1500 for hardware. That doesn't include fish, invertebrates, or coral. I'm also thinking about a generator that could power the outlet that everything will be plugged into. 

I found a guy here that just opened his own store that is extremely knowledgeable about reef tanks. On top of that, he needs a website and I need some fish help! He also builds his own sump and refugium systems, so he'll be a tremendous help with that. 

The one thing that saltwater tanks, and especially reef tanks require, is very careful planning in terms of the support systems (light, filtering, water flow) but also picking and choosing fish and coral that get along. Certain corals are very aggressive in terms of taking over other coral, much like fish are. You also don't want to pick fish that will eat the coral! So meshing everything together takes more planning that a regular freshwater tank would. 

I want these lights so I might need some more money!

http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics%C2%AE-Programmable-Intelligent-Moonlight-Automatically/dp/B00AH4T3S4

EDIt 1:24pm - I just got a price for a used engine for my Nissan Frontier. The motor has 77k miles on it for $1200. I can't pass that up right now, seeing as how the current motor trashed the crank (of course it had 260,000 miles!). Another $500 to pull the old one and put in the new one, kind of shot my reef tank money for the moment, which is ok, because I still have planning to do! 

Archived