• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
October 2013 banter

GaWx

The spider hoards have left!  No mile long web strings, no badminton web bird catchers between the trees. 

Not the first yellow jacket, no mosquitos, to speak of.  More birds than I'm used to. Banner black walnut crop.  Raspberries on some of the plants.  A new crop of asparagus.  All anomalous when compared to the last few years especially the comings and goings of the 8 legged creepys.

Nature abhors a vacuum, and could counteract the spiders with a heaping helping of normal:)  T

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got some good prices yesterday and I'm looking at roughly $1500 for hardware. That doesn't include fish, invertebrates, or coral. I'm also thinking about a generator that could power the outlet that everything will be plugged into. 

I found a guy here that just opened his own store that is extremely knowledgeable about reef tanks. On top of that, he needs a website and I need some fish help! He also builds his own sump and refugium systems, so he'll be a tremendous help with that. 

The one thing that saltwater tanks, and especially reef tanks require, is very careful planning in terms of the support systems (light, filtering, water flow) but also picking and choosing fish and coral that get along. Certain corals are very aggressive in terms of taking over other coral, much like fish are. You also don't want to pick fish that will eat the coral! So meshing everything together takes more planning that a regular freshwater tank would. 

I want these lights so I might need some more money!

http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics%C2%AE-Programmable-Intelligent-Moonlight-Automatically/dp/B00AH4T3S4

EDIt 1:24pm - I just got a price for a used engine for my Nissan Frontier. The motor has 77k miles on it for $1200. I can't pass that up right now, seeing as how the current motor trashed the crank (of course it had 260,000 miles!). Another $500 to pull the old one and put in the new one, kind of shot my reef tank money for the moment, which is ok, because I still have planning to do! 

Thats not a bad price to start with... sort about what I was thinking.

Honestly yes LED will last longer cheaper to run. But a 20,000 kelvin temp Metal Halide maybe the best way to go. MH dont get hot like HPS and LED would be alot alot cooler than MH.  You'll still have the Blue/UV spectrum which would allow the coral to thrive. But the thing I see a flaw in with the link you provided is alot of wasted engery in...

Royal blue /Neutral white /Warm White / Blue / Violet / Green/ Red 22:9:8:8:5:2:1)

Most plants which I know coral is not really a plant but an animal. But thats alot of wasted wavelenghts which the coral will not use. Especially green. Its a know fact that most plants don't use the green wave lenght--- they reflect it which gives the plant the color of being green.Which Im sure the same would apply for Coral. I would say that light above would be a funky purplish color visible to your eye.

Now if you have you mind set on LED really all you need is something in the wave lenght of Neutral White and Blue. <<<<< That would be more in the range of 6500k spectrum or laymans term "daylight or high noon". The higher your temp wise in Kelvins the more purple will tend to show. Even a 20,000k MH would appear very bright blue with a tint of purple.

But you can also use HO Tubular Flourescents. Which would allow you to mix and match Spectrums.

6500-10000k+

But the point is as long as the light spectrum is between 6500-10k that would be optimal for anything to grow.... coral, nepenthes, marijuana... lol.

As important as the wavelength is the wattage and lumens are just important. Its better to be overkill than under. I'd say you would need atleast minimal 40 watts/sq ft. The more the better.... coral will grow faster, more vibrant colors.

Attached is a pic of my rather small CP Terrarium. I'm slowly building my collection. But notice the appearance of the lights..... thats 6500k, Whitish in color with blue.

I sure hope I dont leave you more confused now than before. But If I can help shoot me a pm....

Which Im sure you can find alot of info on the net too.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium-lighting.html

post-7245-0-73232100-1381792846_thumb.jp

post-7245-0-54180000-1381793929_thumb.jp

Now if you have you mind set on LED really all you need is something in the wave lenght of Neutral White and Blue. <<<<< That would be more in the range of 6500k spectrum or lame mens term "daylight or high noon". The higher your temp wise in Kelvins the more purple will tend to show. Even a 20,000k MH would appear very bright blue with a tint of purple.

There are lots of lame men's terms that you could choose from, but perhaps those aren't appropriate for this site.

(Sorry, ncweather, I couldn't resist that crazy typo...)

Now if you have you mind set on LED really all you need is something in the wave lenght of Neutral White and Blue. <<<<< That would be more in the range of 6500k spectrum or lame mens term "daylight or high noon". The higher your temp wise in Kelvins the more purple will tend to show. Even a 20,000k MH would appear very bright blue with a tint of purple.

Did you mean layman's term?

I need about 3-4 watts per gallon of water. So 60 gal would need about 180-240 watts. I know the earlier LED's left a lot to be desired, but the newer models like this one, that allow for almost complete customization of intensity, color, and duration of each cycle, seem to be much better. I notice a lot of the people that use this particular model vary the color combination to suit the types of corals they have. And yes, energy cost is a factor over the long term, as well as bulbs (and heat!). Supposedly, these LED's are good for 50,000 hours. 

Nothing is in stone yet. I'm just now discovering forums where I can go and find out exactly what does and doesn't work, and I'm still in research mode anyway! 

One last clarification:

I must've forgotten that the Wilkesboro kid bashed Robert, and I'm too lazy to go back and read through a bunch of threads to find the exact offense.  I'll trust the memories of others that whatever he said was totally uncalled for.

Robert, aka Foothills, aka WxSouth, has all my respect as an excellent forecaster and just generally all-around good guy.  I'm a smarter man for having read his many excellent posts over the past few winters.  He also has a humble, unassuming manner that is welcoming of even the simplest questions.  I've never met him personally, but I can tell from his Internet persona that he would be a man of forthrightness and integrity.  I would never begrudge a man an opportunity to make money off of his talents, but I sure do miss his discussions of days gone by, here on this board.  Facebook just doesn't have the same feel to it as do the American Weather Forums.

One last clarification:

I must've forgotten that the Wilkesboro kid bashed Robert, and I'm too lazy to go back and read through a bunch of threads to find the exact offense.  I'll trust the memories of others that whatever he said was totally uncalled for.

Robert, aka Foothills, aka WxSouth, has all my respect as an excellent forecaster and just generally all-around good guy.  I'm a smarter man for having read his many excellent posts over the past few winters.  He also has a humble, unassuming manner that is welcoming of even the simplest questions.  I've never met him personally, but I can tell from his Internet persona that he would be a man of forthrightness and integrity.  I would never begrudge a man an opportunity to make money off of his talents, but I sure do miss his discussions of days gone by, here on this board.  Facebook just doesn't have the same feel to it as do the American Weather Forums.

Here, here!  Cheers to Robert.  We can lure him back with a good winter :)  You watch.  T

He'll be back when the gettin' is good. I'm glad to see Robert sticking with it. I read his post from Facebook and his site all the time. It is amazing the knowledge he has about southeast weather, but also weather in general. I've always liked Robert and when he mentioned that he wanted to start a paid site, I knew I wanted to help him, mainly because he helped me learn about the weather. The kind of insight Robert gave was invaluable. Robert carried the load during all of those winter months, his post were always more detailed and he had a knack for explaining things.I know he wasn't sure if his site would make it, but it appears to be going strong, and for that, I'm very happy for him. And hey, if you'd still like to hear what he has to say in great detail, you can always signup! I pay $10 a month for my AllisonHouse subscription that I barely use, $10 a month to hear what Robert has to say is a STEAL in my opinion. Robert dropped the yearly fee so it's all my the month now with no long term anything. When it comes to winter weather in the SE, I truly believe he is the expert.

Oh... for those that don't already know, here is his site: http://www.wxsouth.com

Here, here!  Cheers to Robert.  We can lure him back with a good winter :)  You watch.  T

I talk to him quite often and he is very passionate at what he does.  I laughed last year at the DUDE as if he would see Robert in person he wouldn't say much.  I am sure he will pop his head in every once in a while but he is pushing his business as he has had some bigger companies inquire his forecasting services.  I hope he continues to do what he enjoys.  As Dacula said you can't beat $10.00 a month to get his thoughts in depth

I talk to him quite often and he is very passionate at what he does.  I laughed last year at the DUDE as if he would see Robert in person he wouldn't say much.  I am sure he will pop his head in every once in a while but he is pushing his business as he has had some bigger companies inquire his forecasting services.  I hope he continues to do what he enjoys.  As Dacula said you can't beat $10.00 a month to get his thoughts in depth

Yep, for my money he's as good as it gets!!  I can only pay in the winter, but he says come visit anyway....but I don't, not until I've paid.  He is a great guy, especially generous with his friends, but he is skite with his business sense with friends, and I won't take advantage of him :)  He is way to good to give it all away...but, yeah, when the weather gets interesting he will always share with us here, as well as on his site.  Anyway, giving Foots 30 or 40 bucks for the winter, keeps him in food and warm socks, and almost guarantees you get sleet and snow!!!  Tony

Edit:  Well maybe not for MetalBoy....to get sleet and snow down there, will probably take a full years subscription, lol.  But for that he is guaranteed to try his mightiest to get you snow.  I can't prove  he can do it, but the Moles always said he was a snow talker.  Could just talk that frozen water right down out of the sky.

Keep in mind that no radar maintenance was done while the government was shut down. With the calm weather, it's catch up time.

You can always check the reasons for a site being down here:

Level III Data: http://www.daculaweather.com/4_nexrad_status.php

Level II Data: http://www.daculaweather.com/4_nexrad_status_L2.php

KRAX HAS GONE DOWN AGAIN AS OF 1840Z. RADAR MAY COME BACK UP BUT WILL BE UNSTABLE UNTIL REPLACEMENT PARTS ARRIVE.
NOUS62 KRAH 171754

It's worth the 10.00 a month hands down. Helps me understand what you guys are disscussing when the weather gets complicated

I'm Sold!

After spending last winter trying to soak up as much as possible & reading Roberts freebies on his site its time for me to take the next step and become a subscriber! I have learned so much from his post here and his other free stuff, I'm sure the paid stuff will be full of great nuggets. Seeing all of the mad respect from everyone on these boards I feel like it will be a well spent $50 over these next few months!

So whats the folk lore about wooly worms again?

Black means cold/snowy and orange/brown would be mild weather for winter? Ive seen both kinds around here. More black wooly worms than orange and brown.

But how about this for a extremely rare sight? I can honestly say over nearly the last 20 years I've been living in NC Ive never ever seen anything like this.

post-7245-0-15636100-1382380428_thumb.jp

post-7245-0-36358800-1382381742_thumb.jp

So whats the folk lore about wooly worms again?

Black means cold/snowy and orange/brown would be mild weather for winter? Ive seen both kinds around here. More black wooly worms than orange and brown.

But how about this for a extremely rare sight? I can honestly say over nearly the last 20 years I've been living in NC Ive never ever seen anything like this.

That's awesome! I think we have a winner. That means it's going to be wall-to-wall glacier cold with tons of snow!

The solid brown one won the woolly worm festival though, so it seems we have conflicting signals.

That's awesome! I think we have a winner. That means it's going to be wall-to-wall glacier cold with tons of snow!

The solid brown one won the woolly worm festival though, so it seems we have conflicting signals.

LOL I told Big Frosty the other day I have seen several black with red in middle and then black.  I assume that mean a SEVERE winter!!!!!!  I hope so

I'm Sold!

After spending last winter trying to soak up as much as possible & reading Roberts freebies on his site its time for me to take the next step and become a subscriber! I have learned so much from his post here and his other free stuff, I'm sure the paid stuff will be full of great nuggets. Seeing all of the mad respect from everyone on these boards I feel like it will be a well spent $50 over these next few months!

Just do it for a year its worth it.  He did real good with all the severe weather.  You won't be dissapointed. He is doing more videos now.

Archived