northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
October 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

37 here at KDPA (county right next to Cook county, Chicago). Not to mention that the 06Z GFS is calling for nearly 2 inches of snow in North Eastern Illinois Sunday night. I'm aware things will change as time advances, however, thought it was interesting. Still possible I think, warm air advection snow?

post-9707-0-22990600-1381760933_thumb.pn

37 here at KDPA (county right next to Cook county, Chicago). Not to mention that the 06Z GFS is calling for nearly 2 inches of snow in North Eastern Illinois Sunday night. I'm aware things will change as time advances, however, thought it was interesting. Still possible I think, warm air advection snow?

attachicon.gifplotter.png

Incorrect plotting, bufkit shows rain albeit with a 3c/1c surface profile.

45F, idk what part of Toronto you live in, but YYZ got down to 45F. The cloud cover prevented it from getting down lower though I expect some hard freeze later this week into the following week.

Downtown

I don't think we're even close to a hard freeze for later this week....

It's amazing that we have still yet to go below 40F and the lowest temp recorded this fall was on September 17th! (41F)

There you go. That's the reason as to why you were warmer than YYZ. Heat Island effect FTL

Well, I'm not sure how much of the effect I really get, given I'm on the outskirts (St James town); I figure the lake has more to do with it, as the Toronto Islands only got down to 51 last night... but I'm aware that my temp will be higher than at the YYZ airport... it wasn't a question; 49 was my low.

Downtown

I don't think we're even close to a hard freeze for later this week....

It's amazing that we have still yet to go below 40F and the lowest temp recorded this fall was on September 17th! (41F)

The lake often keeps regions closer to it warmer than the outskirts and this is the case at night (urban heat island effect, albedo). Areas further away often see a freeze earlier, a few days on average, than regions closer to the lake.

Yeah I know it's amazing. The models do show a nice cool down with perhaps some LES later this week. However, a very active storm pattern could be developing for the second half of the month, perhaps a weak STJ developing, which could limit the idea of temps dropping below freezing as cloud cover hangs on but let's see.

ORD hit 42 and RFD hit 36 this morning...coldest so far this season.

Maybe Alek is trolling...but why would anyone celebrate the fact that an urban jungle modifies a local climate so much?  Concrete, pollution, and lack of green space FTW, I guess.  UHI is bad enough in the Chicago suburbs! 

Not a personal attack by any means - to each his own. :)

Alek is trolling...but why would anyone celebrate the fact that an urban jungle modifies a local climate so much?  Concrete, pollution, and lack of green space FTW, I guess.  UHI is bad enough in the Chicago suburbs! 

sums up his general worth.

Maybe Alek is trolling...but why would anyone celebrate the fact that an urban jungle modifies a local climate so much?  Concrete, pollution, and lack of green space FTW, I guess.  UHI is bad enough in the Chicago suburbs! 

I think in this case he is just taking the positive out of the otherwise negative UHI effect in urban Chicago...at least it's comfortable.

UHI pretty much ends by the time it gets this far north. And with a cap on development in the immediate area and to the north it probably won't change much in the coming years. 

High of only 58° here today. 2nd sub 60° day since September 1. 

UHI pretty much ends by the time it gets this far north. And with a cap on development in the immediate area and to the north it probably won't change much in the coming years. 

High of only 58° here today. 2nd sub 60° day since September 1. 

Nonsense, one of these days we'll transform the area into the Chitown/Miltown metroplex. :whistle:   Seriously, hope not, but given the way development tends to go, I wouldn't rule it out.

Nonsense, one of these days we'll transform the area into the Chitown/Miltown metroplex. :whistle:   Seriously, hope not, but given the way development tends to go, I wouldn't rule it out.

There's certain towns right now that are strict on not letting big developers. Mostly villages west of I-94, but a few other villages like Caledonia in Racine County and Somers in Kenosha County that are closer to the lake.

The lake/marine influence muffles the UHI effect this time of year especially when the wind is blowing east. (spring too)

Archived