Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
October 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see us flirting with wind advisory criteria for a while on Thursday if temps can warm up a bit more than currently progged (steeper low level lapse rates for more efficient mixing).

Thought I'd share these maps since I just discovered them and they look pretty nifty.

Choppy waters: 9 foot waves on Michigan Thursday afternoon. Later in the evening 7 footers on the north shore of Erie, 12 footers up near Bruce Peninsula.

Thursday 18Z map:

9k5iw.png

Friday 06Z map:

z04b.png

Getting some filtered sun now. Still cool near 47°. 

Alex - the EURO from last night I know favors the later half of the day for rain on Thursday. Some rain in the early morning with the warm front. Looks like a lot of moisture sent your direction starting about midnight and definitely going through morning rush hour, then windy.

GFS - a real soaker before daybreak and in the afternoon. I guess kids can trick o'treat with an umbrella!

Wow that's a lot of rain. This could end up being a pretty intense wind & rain storm for the GTA

Certainly the most exciting system in a few weeks. I'm biased though because I love wind events haha. EC will almost certainly have a special weather statement out for this one, maybe wind warnings across the St. Catherine's region.

Certainly the most exciting system in a few weeks. I'm biased though because I love wind events haha. EC will almost certainly have a special weather statement out for this one, maybe wind warnings across the St. Catherine's region.

The winds should help knock off the existing leafs on the trees for sure, will be a nice fall storm with strong gusting winds and decent rains of about 25-30mm or 1". Cold morning today, YYZ got down to about 26.5F, or around -3.1C, and Vaughan, my area, got down to 24F or around -4.5C. 

Certainly the only real exciting thing i see for the next 1-2 weeks, looks like a prominent zonal pattern with warm-ups and cool downs, up and down. Nice way to end off October though and ring in a new month. Going to suck for the trick and treaters haha. 

Looking forward to some rain tomorrow and tomorrow night.  The system is pretty much a run-of-the-mill rain event around here, but it'll be nice to see some rain.  Pattern overall is fairly boring, with the lack of any real powerhouse fall storm systems that we could see this time of year.  Been pretty cold the past several weeks, so a switch to a warmer pattern in coming weeks isn't surprising. 

Looking forward to some rain tomorrow and tomorrow night.  The system is pretty much a run-of-the-mill rain event around here, but it'll be nice to see some rain.  Pattern overall is fairly boring, with the lack of any real powerhouse fall storm systems that we could see this time of year.  Been pretty cold the past several weeks, so a switch to a warmer pattern in coming weeks isn't surprising. 

Given that the averages are falling fast, will probably become more seasonable in November.  :lol:

Which is probably good, considering I'd rather save the good troughs for December.

Warming up now with more of a marine influence. Probably can open the windows tomorrow night a little.

Models have been shifting the heavier rain southeastward, putting east-central Iowa on a gradient.  Waterloo may be lucky to get a half inch while the Quad Cities gets 1.5+".  The NAM even has CR down to only a quarter inch as the secondary piece of energy misses to the southeast.  If CR can get 0.75"-1.00" I'll be happy.  While doing some end-of-season digging in the garden in the last couple weeks I found the soil to be quite dry.

Seems like I just posted a monthly summary.  Man time is flying.

Oct was a pretty decent month here.  Started with some respectable warmth, and ended up with a nice rain event to end the month.  The early season snow system on the 22nd was probably the highlight of the month, when 1" of snow fell.

wmm3.jpg

My ending stats. Overall a cool and wet month. Month was kind of bipolar. haha

Definitely will be remembered for the persisting cool/cold weather after mid-month.

15 day below normal, 1 normal, 15 above normal. Can't get much more of an even distribution of highs for a 31 day month.

Archived