amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be good enough for widespread frost and freezes in many areas I would think, but with the warm lakes, always a concern within 10 miles or so of the shore.

If it's an offshore flow ~ no problem. UHI may be an issue though.

We went a little sunny before the sun dropped away.  Nice day for fall...although still a little windy.  She'll get cold tonite...right around 40F here, which i t hink will be the coldest night yet.  

The grass has really greened up the last 2 weeks...mowed today.   Try to get a hike in right away in the morning.  Love hiking in fall.

NAM HIRES showing mid 30s for you DLL.

Projected to get to near 40° here as well, but wouldn't be surprised it went colder. Upper 30s to lower 40 dewpoints infiltrating in now.

The MSP UHI sticks out like a sore thumb!

temp18.gif

Edit: Temperature wasting no time dropping towards the 40s. Already 51° imby. 9:30pm.

Starting to spend more time raking leaves now. 2 trees in my yard are 90% bare already.

Quite the active pattern, sort of gradient in nature building in for the second half of the month. PNA looks to go positive and the EPO going negative with a negative NAO and fluctuating AO...this could bode well for later on. Snow cover should build nicely across Canada over the next few weeks despite it lagging behind this year. Eureka in Nunvaut is very cold right now around -20F.

Let's hope the solar output remains low this month with very little sunspots and based on my calculations this could bode well for blocking in the winter though I don't think it will be severely negative like 09-10, the pattern doesn't seem to support it.

Quite the active pattern, sort of gradient in nature building in for the second half of the month. PNA looks to go positive and the EPO going negative with a negative NAO and fluctuating AO...this could bode well for later on. Snow cover should build nicely across Canada over the next few weeks despite it lagging behind this year. Eureka in Nunvaut is very cold right now around -20F.

Let's hope the solar output remains low this month with very little sunspots and based on my calculations this could bode well for blocking in the winter though I don't think it will be severely negative like 09-10, the pattern doesn't seem to support it.

That's good, we don't want it too extreme like 09-10, at least in the northern half of the forum.  A blend of 07-08 and 08-09 would be nice, gradient like 07-08 but cold like 08-09, very unlikely of course.

The 18z GFS was really hitting the Lake Effect potential for MI next weekend:

Would be awfully early in the season for GRR and south, and realistically that's probably mostly rain, but hey, all Lake Effect is good Lake Effect!

Wouldn't doubt some wet snow up by Weatherbo and the higher terrain around Gaylord. Maybe some for the Porcupine Mountains too.

Wouldn't doubt some wet snow up by Weatherbo and the higher terrain around Gaylord. Maybe some for the Porcupine Mountains too.

indeed....

APX:

THE COOLEST AIRMASS OF THE YOUNG SEASON

ADVECTING IN AND HOLDING ON THROUGH NEXT WEEKEND. THIS SCENARIO IS

EXPECTED TO LEAD TO LAKE EFFECT RAIN SHOWERS WITH EVEN AN OUTSIDE

CHANCE OF A FEW WET SNOWFLAKES ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN.

Not a large sample size, but this is now the latest we've gone here without a sub-30F low temp since I started keeping records in Jan '08.

Previous latest was 10/9/09 (39).

Through 10/13 at ORD, the lowest temp so far this season is 43 (on 10/8).  This has to be the latest in the season without a sub-43 temp...or at least very close.

Impressive, considering that the normal low for this time of year is 43.

Even at RFD - where there is less of a UHI influence - their coldest temp so far has been 41.  Today's normal low in RFD is 41.  

Several locations in Iowa got colder this morning than what was forecasted.  CR hit 36, right inline with the forecast, but Des Moines had upper 30s for central/ne Iowa and many spots dropped to the low 30s.  Spencer, in nw Iowa, dropped to 28.  It also got a few degrees colder than expected from Dubuque down to the Quad Cities.  Mornings like this are why I start protecting some plants even when only upper 30s are expected.  It's too easy to drop 3-5 degrees lower than expected.

The temp finally dipped into the 30s for the first time this fall.  Very late compared to normal.  Made it down to 36.

Nice!

Any patches of frost visible?

Usually a 36° low has patches of frost on roofs and in the ditches.

Archived