joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No snow yet and a balmy 26.  Looking at BUFKIT profiles suggest either a low level temperature inversion or perhaps an isothermal layer throughout most of the storm so lower areas will likely be colder. Because of this-and lack of strong low-level winds-I doubt there will be much mtn top enhancement compared to valley locations this time around.(except as compared to the basin areas near Cherokee.) It will be fun to see if this turns out to be the case or not. I assume Mt Mitchell will do crazy well..for reasons I don't fully understand.

I was thinking earlier that the Escarpment area would do the best in this storm but not so obvious now due to fact that a lot of the snowfall maybe in the wrap around comma head if the low tracks more inland which should even out the snowfall distribution a bit in the mtns.  The latest NWS map hints at this.

Kind of wild that the 850mb is all the way back in Alabama at 7PM tonight shown here on the GFS...just shows how continuous the moisture feed will be out of the southeast throughout the day

mkpd.gif

Kind of wild that the 850mb is all the way back in Alabama at 7PM tonight shown here on the GFS...just shows how continuous the moisture feed will be out of the southeast throughout the day

mkpd.gif

Low level winds generally don't get to enhancement level speeds until tonight when they will be out of the East then backing to NE. The strong forcing and deep moisture will easily push the fun past the blue ridge. However, initially just the location of the Escarpment will be in a better position relative to the storm to be in the better snows.

1/2 inch already temp is 28 even 441 is already covered. Flakes are still small but rate it moderate. This will be one we remember fellas.

Thermal profiles..location of snow growth region, layer of best omega suggest that outside of any convective elements-small snow flakes will likely rule through this event.

EDIT: Snow started at 7:50.  Jackson County under a state of emergency as of 8 AM.

From Blacksburg AFD:

THE DEVELOPING WINTER STORM IS COMING TOGETHER IN CLASSIC FORM.
MAPS...CHARTS...RULES OF THUMB...INDIAN LORE ALL POINT TO THE
SAME CONCLUSION. THE RING AROUND THE MOON...THE RUSTLING OAK
LEAVES...YOUR GRANDMAS ACHING KNEE IN ADDITION TO THE COMPUTER
MODELS WHICH THE METEOROLOGISTS AND WEATHER FANATICS STARE AT
ENDLESSLY...ALL SCREAM LOOK-OUT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO IGNORE THE
SENSIBLE CLUES YOU ARE JUST NOT LISTENING. LOCAL FOLKS WILL TELL
YOU THIS IS WHERE OUR TRUE WINTER STORMS COME FROM...WISDOM AT ITS
BEST.

one thing I can tell you looking at RADAR alone... this thing better go negative tilt soon, the moisture back in GA and AL isn't looking as good as it was progged you can throw the rap out, RADAR trumps everything

Once it phases and goes negative tilt the radar back in AL/GA will light up like a Christmas tree

Looking at the HRRR it shows very light precip here for most of us through the period... heavier returns redevelop but stay in the upstate

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRRsubh/jsloopLocalDiskDateDomainZip.cgi?dsKeys=hrrr_subh_jet:&runTime=2014021211&plotName=cref15min_sfc&fcstInc=15&numFcsts=61&model=hrrr&ptitle=HRRR Model Fields - Experimental&maxFcstLen=15&fcstStrLen=-1&resizePlot=1&domain=full

Still no real snow to speak of in Weaverville! Now I feel like the kid at Christmas who has opened a bunch of gifts & is still waiting on that bike!

I actually got a picture of a bike for Christmas one year. My dad said he would get it when the weather warmed up. :axe:

It's certainly cold enough here. It's 16.4 with a stiff breeze. Brrrr.

Folks calm down. This system is still in its infant stages! Point is, even if it moves a little more east, the track of the 500 and 850 lows don't change much at all. The upper level energy is way back in Alabama so we have much to go through yet. Once that low comes in later, radar will explode with heavy precip. No changes to any forecast at this time. We have at least 24 hours left! Too early to be cliff jumping. Lol

Archived