• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

lol the euro is insane. i made it to hickory for this one. if we really get 16 inches of snow that will be biggest snow of my life. the only reason i was dumb enough to make the drive home last night was thinking this could be something extremely rare. hopefully it is. i just i hope i can get back to raleigh this weekend if they get crushed with ice.

Ya Euro is pretty epic. Ditto what Don said. What are your thoughts man.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/p.php?pil=SPSGSP&e=201402121118

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC
618 AM EST WED FEB 12 2014

NCZ033-048>053-058-059-062>065-121530-
AVERY-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-SWAIN-HAYWOOD-BUNCOMBE-GRAHAM-
NORTHERN JACKSON-MACON-SOUTHERN JACKSON-TRANSYLVANIA-HENDERSON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWLAND...SPRUCE PINE...CHEROKEE...
BRYSON CITY...WAYNESVILLE...ASHEVILLE...SYLVA...FRANKLIN...
BREVARD...HENDERSONVILLE
618 AM EST WED FEB 12 2014

...MAJOR WINTER STORM GETTING UNDERWAY...

SNOW HAS SPREAD ACROSS THE SOUTHERN MOUNTAINS OF NORTH CAROLINA
THIS MORNING...FALLING STEADILY FROM ROBBINSVILLE TO FRANKLIN TO
BREVARD. THE SNOW WILL EXPAND NORTHWARD THROUGH THE MORNING
HOURS...AND INCREASE IN INTENSITY FROM THE SOUTH. EXPECT STEADIER
SNOW TO DEVELOP ACROSS THE HENDERSONVILLE AND ASHEVILLE AREAS FROM
8 AM TO 10 AM...AND ALONG THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS THROUGH NOON. THE
HEAVIEST SNOWFALL RATES ARE EXPECTED THIS AFTERNOON AND
EVENING...WHEN RATES OF AN INCH PER HOUR WILL BE POSSIBLE AT
TIMES.

Hey Brandon!  If you get 16 inches, you probably won't care if you make it back to Raleigh.  :)

Brandon, glad you made it ok. I don't think you will have any issues getting back at least by Sunday. Would love to get your thoughts on how things are unfolding.

Ya Euro is pretty epic. Ditto what Don said. What are your thoughts man.

lol thanks guys. the slp track on the euro is pretty much ideal for any west of i85. reminds me a lot of the 87 snowstorm. i think this will be historic, most likely one of those we remember 20 years from now in the foothills/mountains. i have never the seen the euro print numbers like this so close to a storm, and i've been following the euro since 2001. i mean, as with anything, it's weather and something can always go wrong. i think we'll see the radar gradually start to orient sw to ne. the comma head will come in late tonight with thundersnow. sleet will mix in outside of the foothills/mountains. i think the best area to be in is taylorsville to mt airy on up into the va foothills. these areas would be the jackpot. i will still go with 8-12 but if the euro is right, 15-20 for our area i just as possible. just sit back and enjoy whatever happens.

Robert made mention of that last night on facebook. However, would have work out just right around here. In my county, Spindale has a all time high of 20".

Thanks Brandon.

lol thanks guys. the slp track on the euro is pretty much ideal for any west of i85. reminds me a lot of the 87 snowstorm. i think this will be historic, most likely one of those we remember 20 years from now in the foothills/mountains. i have never the seen the euro print numbers like this so close to a storm, and i've been following the euro since 2001. i mean, as with anything, it's weather and something can always go wrong. i think we'll see the radar gradually start to orient sw to ne. the comma head will come in late tonight with thundersnow. sleet will mix in outside of the foothills/mountains. i think the best area to be in is taylorsville to mt airy on up into the va foothills. these areas would be the jackpot. i will still go with 8-12 but if the euro is right, 15-20 for our area i just as possible. just sit back and enjoy whatever happens.

Nice thanks Brandon.

I'm a weather noob, so pardon my unfamilarity. I'm seeing some dry air eating up moisture as it hits the GA mountains on radar. Is this to be expected until the low moves off the Carolina's?

I have yet to see any dry air. Humidities are up. Dp's are where they should be. Just be patient and let the precip field come north.

lol the euro is insane. i made it to hickory for this one. if we really get 16 inches of snow that will be biggest snow of my life. the only reason i was dumb enough to make the drive home last night was thinking this could be something extremely rare. hopefully it is. i just i hope i can get back to raleigh this weekend if they get crushed with ice.

I am concerned I will be headed to Raleigh with a chainsaw to help my folks out of the mess the ice may cause.

yep looking at the radar I want the moisture to start moving more northeast not so much east right now.  looks a lot of moisture has already slid to the southeast of nc.  need it to start coming north and hopefully start filling in more around the gulf.  gsp said the gulf low should start taking shape and I guess this is when more moisture will start coming from the gulf.

yep looking at the radar I want the moisture to start moving more northeast not so much east right now. looks a lot of moisture has already slid to the southeast of nc. need it to start coming north and hopefully start filling in more around the gulf. gsp said the gulf low should start taking shape and I guess this is when more moisture will start coming from the gulf.

That's what I was thinking as well. Looks like a lot of moisture is already east of us

Will be interested in hearing your totals there in Toxaway...you should get walloped through the day today with moisture feed coming in from the southeast

I was thinking earlier that the Escarpment area would do the best in this storm but not so obvious now due to fact that a lot of the snowfall maybe in the wrap around comma head if the low tracks more inland which should even out the snowfall distribution a bit in the mtns.  The latest NWS map hints at this.

You can clearly see it building in N GA and Southen TENN now.

http://www.daculaweather.com/current/misc/google-maps-radar/4_google_radar.php

yep looking at the radar I want the moisture to start moving more northeast not so much east right now.  looks a lot of moisture has already slid to the southeast of nc.  need it to start coming north and hopefully start filling in more around the gulf.  gsp said the gulf low should start taking shape and I guess this is when more moisture will start coming from the gulf.

Archived