• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central Pennsylvania Late Summer-Fall 2013

Jamie

Had some gusts of wind as high as 43 mph.  And for rainfall I ended up with 0.56" of rain. The storm actually come through pretty fast.
Fast & Furious :)

Bad winter coming humor:

It was autumn, and the Indians on the remote reservation asked their new Chief if the winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was a new Indian Chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets, and when he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the weather was going to be. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he replied to his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect wood to be prepared. But also being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked,
"Is the coming winter going to be cold?"
"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold indeed," the meteorologist at the weather service responded.
So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more wood in order to be prepared. A week later he called the National Weather Service again.
"Is it going to be a very cold winter?"
"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter."
The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of wood they could find. Two weeks later he called the National Weather Service again.
"Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"
"Absolutely," the man replied. "It's going to be one of the coldest winters ever."
"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.
The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting wood like crazy!"

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pre-storm stuff that came through the Mech area around 3:30pm or so was impressive. No real thunder or lightning but man the air was energized and some nice chaos in the cloud lines. had a wind gust or two that ripped the doors in my receiving area out of my hands. After that the actual line when it went through was...disappointing. Few nice bolts of lightning, little thunder but some nice heavy rain for...about 10mins

Also, I'm thinking about making a supercell (no, not a tornado) simulator. I want a fog machine to go into a plexiglas cube where a fan will blow upwards (possibly diagonally). I might put two to four opposing fans near the top for the anvil. Any help would be nice. Thanks, Andy.

Also, I'm thinking about making a supercell (no, not a tornado) simulator. I want a fog machine to go into a plexiglas cube where a fan will blow upwards (possibly diagonally). I might put two to four opposing fans near the top for the anvil. Any help would be nice. Thanks, Andy.

Good luck, that's quite the task to undertake. You're probably going to need a very large cube frankly, im not sure it's possible with fans.

Creating a vortex would be a much more attainable goal.

I need weather guidance / thoughts for Saturday. We're flying out of Harrisburg in the early afternoon and I see the day is calling for storms. Is this going to be all-day thing that could really f my flight up (I have a connection later) or will it be widely scattered stuff that shouldn't mess up things too much?

Most of the models are going with widespread rain but likely holding off to late afternoon/night. We're entering the time of year where rain is more often the widespread stuff as opposed to scattered. 

a co-worker was just telling me he heard we will experience high winds (damaging) associated with a front passing through on Saturday. I heard some rain, but didn't hear anything about damaging winds??

Not sure where they got that from. Models show 10-15 mph at most. Only thing I am interested in is this tropical system getting mixed in with the front.

f138.gif

f168.gif

Give me something synoptic! 

Archived