12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
August 2013 Observations And Discussions

bluewave

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You got to it before I did, was just going to post this. The ECMWF ensembles which saw the August cool are now beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel w/ the retrograding WAR post 8/20. We'll have to see if the 12z ECM continues with that idea or it gets pushed back further, but over the past few weeks I've thought the last week of August would feature rapid warming in the Northeast, ultimately leading to the mean ridge position over the NE for the month of September. Long range guidance seems to suggest that right now. Even still, it's the ECMWF ensembles at 240hrs so I'd like to see another cycle or two of the WAR returning around / slightly after 8/20.

Prior to that time, a significant autumnal airmass heads for the Northeast 8/13-8/17 of this week, with 850mb temps near or below +10c for most northeast of DCA. Probably going to see a couple days or more with highs remaining in the 70s and lows in the 50s for suburbia (maybe 40s for far off suburbs). NYC does worse in radiational cooling regimes so they'll probably remain in the 60s. I expect most of the Northeast to have fairly significant negative departures going into the final 10 days of August. Those negatives will come up somewhat but not enough to make August normal or above normal IMO.

We'll see, I think it could end up August with temperatures having averaged near or slightly below normal at Central Park and I think we will see more 90+ degree days before the month is done, perhaps a 3-5 day stretch of them sometime in the last 11 days of the month.

WX/PT

We'll see, I think it could end up August with temperatures having averaged near or slightly below normal at Central Park and I think we will see more 90+ degree days before the month is done, perhaps a 3-5 day stretch of them sometime in the last 11 days of the month.

WX/PT

I wouldn't go that far. The 10 Year Climatology+Decreasing Averages+Reversing Sunrise and Sunset begs to differ. Maybe isolated areas will see 90F+, but otherwise I see 89F-90F as the maximum.

Archived