joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2013 Observations And Discussions

bluewave

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its like the maltese of dog days.  Perhaps some more bite for late/indian summer this year.  Just terrific outside.

I got a maltese after my pit bull died...If my pit bull was like my maltese I'd have to put him to sleep...in 1950 there were no 90's after July but the 80's continued off and on until November 2nd...I'm guessing we see 90 again late this month and in September...

I got a maltese after my pit bull died...If my pit bull was like my maltese I'd have to put him to sleep...in 1950 there were no 90's after July but the 80's continued off and on until November 2nd...I'm guessing we see 90 again late this month and in September...

Yeah, but barely. I see a maximum of three < 90F days between August 24th thru September 15th, but most of those days will predominately be in the mid 80s. The average for Central Park in that timeline is 79.5F. I'm also think that there could be could be a Tropical threat between September 9th-15th, but most likely remnants, unless if the WAR works with the Newfoundland ridging (if it's there). Then a more potent tropical system could target the EC. That's just my analysis. Obviously take it with a HUGE grain of salt.

78F today after 79F yesterday. Two consecutive days staying in the 70s under full sun is nothing to sneeze at in early August. Sub normal regime to continue for the foreseeable future.          

I think this is somewhat debatable. Looking at the 00Z Euro, GGEM, and 6Z GFS, it begins to appear as though heights will be higher than originally anticipated for later this week right through next week. In fact, depending on exact timing of the surface features moving through, a little more sunshine than expected and we could easily be near to slightly above normal for a day or two here and there say for example, Friday, Saturday, or Saturday & Sunday this weekend. And the return to cooler does not appear nearly as pronounced as on earlier model guidance for the beginning and middle of next week. And, I still believe that for the week of the 19th or just a little later on, we may see the WAR make a major comeback. I think there's still alot of uncertainty over that period, but the possibility of more heat for the last 7-10 days of August has not been eliminated yet.

WX/PT

What do we think the chances are of a trough digging into the west end of this month?  I know there's been ramblings of eastern warmth returning end of this month.  Current changes in SST anomalies would support that as well (eastern pacific went much cooler over last week while west atlantic remains warm)

anomw.8.5.2013.gif

What do we think the chances are of a trough digging into the west end of this month?  I know there's been ramblings of eastern warmth returning end of this month.  Current changes in SST anomalies would support that as well (eastern pacific went much cooler over last week while west atlantic remains warm)

anomw.8.5.2013.gif

HeatMiser! The popular opinion here definitely does seem to favor the end of the month and at least part of Sept to heat up.  Feels like summer is over right now but seeing some 90's for the end of the month would really be nice.

Is tomorrow going to be a beach day?

Looks a little dicey, as precipitation should be in the area and there's going to be a fairly strong SE/SSE flow which should bring humid but cool air in off the waters.  Should be plenty of cloud cover.  My thinking is, as long as the water temperatures are high enough, every day is a beach day, but your mileage may vary.  What beach were you looking at?

I think this is somewhat debatable. Looking at the 00Z Euro, GGEM, and 6Z GFS, it begins to appear as though heights will be higher than originally anticipated for later this week right through next week. In fact, depending on exact timing of the surface features moving through, a little more sunshine than expected and we could easily be near to slightly above normal for a day or two here and there say for example, Friday, Saturday, or Saturday & Sunday this weekend. And the return to cooler does not appear nearly as pronounced as on earlier model guidance for the beginning and middle of next week. And, I still believe that for the week of the 19th or just a little later on, we may see the WAR make a major comeback. I think there's still alot of uncertainty over that period, but the possibility of more heat for the last 7-10 days of August has not been eliminated yet.

WX/PT

I've also been of the opinion that the last 10 days of August may feature the gradual transition toward a higher-height regime for the Northeast US, though I'm not sure if it begins Aug 20-25 or waits until early September. Euro ensembles have the mean trough persisting in the Northeast through D 10, with strong ridging in the NW territories of Canada. We need to keep an eye on the EPO/North Pacific signaling as that has the highest correlation to sfc temps in our area for August. The NAO, AO and PNA correlations to temps are very small at this time of year.

The ECMWF Ensembles have the low heights over Western AK/GOA through D 10 with the mid level ridge remaining in NW Canada. This teleconnects to the trough in the Northeast. The GFS ensembles post D 10 initiate the reversal from low heights to higher heights in the GOA region, thus weakening the NW Canadian ridge and promoting a zonal flow in the East.

Often times, however, models rush pattern changes. And remember the operational Euro and GFS were in the dark on this present cool period a couple weeks ago. The ECMWF ensembles were the first to sniff it out, and they are troughy in the Northeast through D 10.

2qt9u8p.gif

Archived