12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
August 2013 Observations And Discussions

bluewave

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50's in NYC during August is getting harder to come by...the long term average minimum is 57 but recent years have a higher average...

last 50's in August was 59 in 2011...

year...min...

from 1965 to 1986 the all time record August minimum was tied four times...1965 had two mornings with a 50 degree minimum temperature and 51 the third day...it was quite a cold snap for late August...

the early 60's had very cool August low temps...

1964...54 two consecutive days...

1965...50 two consecutive days...

Newark's coolest August temps...

45 8/29/1982

47 8/31/1934

48 8/25/1940

48 8/29/1986

48 8/31/1976

49 8/30/1934

I am originally from NYC but currently living in western burbs of philly and I have had several nights in both July and August that have gotten down to the fifties and a couple of times mid fifties. It's amazing the temperature difference regarding minimums between the city and burbs.

I am originally from NYC but currently living in western burbs of philly and I have had several nights in both July and August that have gotten down to the fifties and a couple of times mid fifties. It's amazing the temperature difference regarding minimums between the city and burbs.

I live on Staten island close to the sticks and a few times I was 10 degrees cooler than Manhattan...

What a day. Bottomed out at 60F this morning, still in the mid 60s. I think MOS is a bit overdone today and tomorrow, I don't see most of us surpassing the mid 70s. Not seeing any above normal days really through August 20th-22nd, and by that time we'll have impressive negatives built up. The last week has the potential to torch though I'm not yet convinced. Right now I believe August 22nd-31st will average above normal but mostly due to mild overnights via high humidity once again. The major, scorching heat might remain out West for the time being.          

What a day. Bottomed out at 60F this morning, still in the mid 60s. I think MOS is a bit overdone today and tomorrow, I don't see most of us surpassing the mid 70s. Not seeing any above normal days really through August 20th-22nd, and by that time we'll have impressive negatives built up. The last week has the potential to torch though I'm not yet convinced. Right now I believe August 22nd-31st will average above normal but mostly due to mild overnights via high humidity once again. The major, scorching heat might remain out West for the time being.          

Came in from Tampa yesterday afternoon feels like the flight was a month long and its september.  It will be interesting to see how low we can go these next 48 hours with monthly departures between -2 and -3.    I think we'll head to normal by the weekend and ride above normal the last 10 days of the month with some heat potential in the 8/22 - 8/26 period, perhaps beyond. Heights rise by the 18th and the ridge looks to stay in the east into the long range.  This will shunt any more candian airmasses.  Guidance has us dealing with some onshore flow before the flow goes more westerly next week.     Perhaps our 4 week hiatus from summer ends with some late season blow torching.  

15G22 at JFK. Well crap.

Set up the blanket right against the new wall they build along the boardwalk to keep the ocean from going underneath.

That should act as somewhat of a windbreak on a NW flow with more blowing sand the closer that you get to the shoreline.

Actually it's worse over there. The wind is just funneling against the bulkhead. It's a sandstorm.

The winds mush have gone more westerly parallel to the boardwalk.

Did the jellyfish clear out since the other day? They had to close the water to swimmers 

for a time on Sunday.

Archived