12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
August 2013 Observations And Discussions

bluewave

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trend continues for some impressive late summer heat and huge ridge into the nations mid section.  we're on the eastern cusp of this much of next week but signal is there for some heat to blast into the region labor day weekend and into the week of 9/2......  We'll see how the guidance progresses tonight and the next few weeks.

test8.gif

Agree Sacrus. I think Labor Day weekend will likely be hot nationwide, including the Northeast. Next week is a bit iffy with the peripheral differential advection riding the heat ridge in the Plains. I could see a couple days where we're below normal with rain/clouds while other days we break out into sun and are warm/humid. Overall looks near normal the next 5-7 days then above normal days 7-15 IMO.

Guest Pamela

Pissed I missed that sunset. 2013 has been the most boring weather year on the South Shore of Nassau. Even the feb blizzard was a let down here. All I have to do is remember Sandy and my weather fix is satisfied.

As Global Cooling continues, the climate of Wantagh will eventually become more like the climate of Syosset...so you have that going for you...which is nice. 

Guidance continues to trend for a hot loabor day weekend and into the first week of september.  Both the gfs build ridge east and blast piece of the furnace into the region labor day weekend.  Its still ways out there but either way the summer looks to go out on a hot note..

Amazing day. 77F high here, crystal blue skies, dew points in the 50s. Temps should plummet tonight with the sfc ridge overhead. 12Z Euro brings down another decent shot of Canadian air to close out August similar to this current one. The rest of August looks to be near normal overall, maybe a couple slightly above normal days, a couple slightly below normal. Heat pulse in the Plains should head into the area around Labor Day I think.     

Guidance continues to trend for a hot loabor day weekend and into the first week of september.  Both the gfs build ridge east and blast piece of the furnace into the region labor day weekend.  Its still ways out there but either way the summer looks to go out on a hot note..

I think we'll make it to the end of August without any real heat. Should be poised to move in here by 9/1-Labor Day. Mean ridge in the Mid-west/Plains this week will allow short waves to amplify southeastward through New England. Boston looks generally near to slightly below normal through the end of August. Our area is near normal, then the first week of September will probably be warm to hot. I'm wondering if I'm going to hit 90F this August here.

I believe that a week or so after Labor Day we will feel like fall and perhaps maybe we get to 90 around Labor Day and that would be it for the summer.

I hope we get a below average September eventually to really speed up the transition into fall. I consider September to still be more summery than autumnal but a below average September would definitely favor the latter. If not then having temps stay below 80 after the first week of September would be most appreciated with lows in the low to mid 50s. 

I think we'll make it to the end of August without any real heat. Should be poised to move in here by 9/1-Labor Day. Mean ridge in the Mid-west/Plains this week will allow short waves to amplify southeastward through New England. Boston looks generally near to slightly below normal through the end of August. Our area is near normal, then the first week of September will probably be warm to hot. I'm wondering if I'm going to hit 90F this August here.

Central Park is -1.7F for the month, so they're virtually guaranteed to finish below average despite warmer readings towards the end of next week. This weekend looks slightly below normal in temperatures, so that should allow KNYC to cool to around -2F, before the warming trend starts as the heat from the Plains pushes eastward. Precipitation has also been below normal at 2.37", and we've had 9 days stay in the 70s compared to only 1 day reach 90F, a far cry from what we saw in July. 

Despite the trend for warmer falls in recent years, with the exception of the very cold November 2012, I think the pattern this autumn will favor more cold shots into the East than we've seen in recent years. The below normal solar activity is one reason for such a prediction, as that may favor high-latitude blocking, but the bigger reason in my mind is the exceptional warmth in the North Pacific that favors a +PNA/Aleutian low...SSTs are literally roasting from the Gulf of Alaska to California's coast despite the semblance of a weak La Niña:

post-475-0-17883400-1377376937_thumb.gif

Epic radiating night. FOK down to 51 already!

Martha'a Vineyard down to 44!

FOK got to 46* @ 4am.. got to 51* here in eastport..looking forward to

another fabulous beach day here on the east end...get it while you can..there's

not to many left.

Archived