12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Early August Wx Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well when you get a little, we use these in our laundry room to keep the air moving when the AC is off to help prevent moisture build up. 25 bucks

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Holmes-Twin-Window-Fan/9204076

Yep, exactly the one I have in mind.  I used to have one of those in my dorm at UML, the now defunct Smith Hall was a cement/iron heat trap, built over top the kitchen/caff.  

I haven't been up there but I hear the tore it down to built an addition to the library.  Weird... you spent 3 years of your life living in a dormitory and then you go back and it's gone.   

Looks like the cold pool aloft is causing widespread popcorn showers across the high terrain of C/N NH now. There will probably be quite a few GS reports with WBZs around H7-75 and decent ML lapse rates.

Yeah has that look of very brief but strong downpours mixed with splattering drops and frozen cores.

This is nuts!    Look at that area over southern Manitoba, with sub 540dm thickness, in early August

Albeit light, the QPF contained is falling up through 12z on this chart, which means it fell during the coolest part of the diurnal cycle -- could there be noodles mixed in!?   

You know, it makes me think about this from a 50000 foot perspective.   We've been having October snow appearances with unusually high frequency over the past 10 or so years.  Though they have come in different forms and for different reasons, it is not hard to see why in general, when a scenario such as the one depicted below can set up on 8th of August.  Spatially, considering the size of the N/A ... southern Manitoba is not a whole helluva long distance from here.  And, what makes this really interesting is that the 00z and 06z runs had the WAR signal showing up as retrograding along 35N, compressed/suppressed by these unrelenting SE Canadian heights.   It only took a month, but the Euro finally succeeded there!     

gfs_namer_096_1000_500_thick.gif

Clouded up, looks like a few showers coming through.  Maybe a couple stronger storms headed through S VT in the next few hours, hopefully that makes its way into SNE.

I guess techinically we survived through the worst of the heat without A/C, but I'll admit it would've been nice for the first half of 4th of July weekend.

This is nuts!    Look at that area over southern Manitoba, with sub 540dm thickness, in early August

Albeit light, the QPF contained is falling up through 12z on this chart, which means it fell during the coolest part of the diurnal cycle -- could there be noodles mixed in!?   

You know, it makes me think about this from a 50000 foot perspective.   We've been having October snow appearances with unusually high frequency over the past 10 or so years.  Though they have come in different forms and for different reasons, it is not hard to see why in general, when a scenario such as the one depicted below can set up on 8th of August.  Spatially, considering the size of the N/A ... southern Manitoba is not a whole helluva long distance from here.  And, what makes this really interesting is that the 00z and 06z runs had the WAR signal showing up as retrograding along 35N, compressed/suppressed by these unrelenting SE Canadian heights.   It only took a month, but the Euro finally succeeded there!     

gfs_namer_096_1000_500_thick.gif

I saw that a few days ago too. There has been 2m temps progged in the 30s with that ULL. Maybe some canucks can get an early season surprise like we did in late May.

You haven't been able to ditch the AC yet over the past week?

Nah, unfortunately the windows aren't exactly in a good spot for the air to blow right onto me. I don't radiate all that well being on a hill and also...I have a tempurpedic bed which can hold in heat. And lastly..I like it cold. By the time it gets cool enough outside at night, it's like 3am. Last night was the first cool night in a while...other than 10 days ago when it dropped into the U50s.

I saw that a few days ago too. There has been 2m temps progged in the 30s with that ULL. Maybe some canucks can get an early season surprise like we did in late May.

I wonder what the climo [expectation] is for freak snow in Canada.  Like perhaps it is normal for that to happen say ... once every so many years, although my hunch is that it would be a long period between events. 

I guess techinically we survived through the worst of the heat without A/C, but I'll admit it would've been nice for the first half of 4th of July weekend.

Yeah--we had the fans going for a couple nights in early July.

Day 14 of sub-80* string today at the Pit.  Though, the 72.9 at 10:45 exceed the progged temp a bit.  Back down now to 70.9 there.  Hope to get back in a few hours.

Yeah, would've been nice. What is your highest temp for this summer?  92F here, fairly normal heat.  I'd say a max of 96 or 97F here would be notable, but not 92F.

I see 91.2 for KNHNORTH4, guessing that's your station.

Thunderstorm just rolled through here.  No real wind but heavy rain.  So much for mowing for a bit.

That is an awful lot of activitiy through VT and NY into SW Mass.  Rain will fall at least for a while on a lot of folks today.  Perhaps Franklin county can get screwed agin on the storms.  Unbelievable how badly that's worked out for us this season. 

Brief shower just moved through with pelting rain (huge drops) but no thunder or hail.

Temp dropped to 61F as it moved through, which is pretty darn cold for an afternoon in August below 1000ft.

Upper elevations of the mountain are in the upper 40s...I'm going to freeze tomorrow at work.

Yeah, would've been nice. What is your highest temp for this summer?  92F here, fairly normal heat.  I'd say a max of 96 or 97F here would be notable, but not 92F.

91.2F on 6/1, but that was a drier period of heat.The long July stretch of U60s/70 mins was the most hideous stretch.

:lmao:

Brief shower just moved through with pelting rain (huge drops) but no thunder or hail.

Temp dropped to 61F as it moved through, which is pretty darn cold for an afternoon in August below 1000ft.

Upper elevations of the mountain are in the upper 40s...I'm going to freeze tomorrow at work.

Archived