joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2013 Obs/Banter/Disco

Avdave

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that not still above average rainfall.....maybe even well above? New month now and it appears to be starting wet. Today's rain MAY not amount to much, but it appears that we won't be hurting for rain chances this week.

We don't all live near the city.  DCA had 9.97 on the month but IAD had 4.64 and I had 4.48 IMBY.  So yeah, I would actually like more rain.

LOL.  Dave and I both live in the Great Loudoun Desert.  Must be the rain shadow from, uh, bull run mountain?  Yeah, that's my theory.

LOL. Im thinking of growing cactus out here.   Sure the bull run mtn and the potomac river are the issues for sure :)

This is from looking at daily climo, not patterns, but it looks like the '94 and '05 heat out there never rolled over to us.  Would make sense if Plains heat torches us, but western heat doesn't.

it's 'early' yet but seems we're going to need some sort of wholesale pattern change to get really big heat into the area. wouldn't be that surprised if we fail to get 100 this year.. tho i guess we're due for that. 

it's 'early' yet but seems we're going to need some sort of wholesale pattern change to get really big heat into the area. wouldn't be that surprised if we fail to get 100 this year.. tho i guess we're due for that. 

Watch the 100s appear in September

A "torchy" October would be okay with me if it's just relative to normal.  Just no snow this October.  That seems to be the kiss of death for winter.

good practice for the torchy winter too.

This is a tough pattern in terms of QPF as the deep southerly flow and really high PWs can support very heavy rainfall but there is now low level boundary to really focus the low level convergence or convection making it hard to know where or when heavy rain might occur.  Yesterday,  RDU got rocked.  Today has been more benign.   Tomorrow the models show a vort lifting north which should lead to a little more concentrated convection than today if the vort is real.  Right now trying to figure out where low level forcing will help pop convection is a tough call.  I should got golfing tomorrow to ensure we get more concentrated shower activity. 

Archived