joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2013 Observations and Discussions

SACRUS

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could very well see an above normal/humid and possibly wet regime but nothing extreme, meaning no big heat (95+) this July at least.

I wouldn't draw that conclusion. Looking at 12Z ECMWF,  and 00Z GFS and GGEM, July 4th-11th look quite steamy hot around here and a day or two of 95+ I think is at least possible.

WX/PT

I havent seen the weeklies and am not sure how well they perform with heat, I did read in the New England forum that they were warm through the run  Perhaps a different run.  Either way, I doubt that the park hits 100 but do think July is warmer than normal and warmer than initially assumptions.

The weeklies are similar to the CFS in that the warmer temperatures are toward U.S. Canadian border with cooler temperatures

to the south with plenty of troughing and convection. A rough guess between the CFS and weeklies for NYC is a 0 to +1.5

departure in NYC for July. They both agree on no extreme heat of 95 degrees or higher for Central Park since it will be

cooler than normal over the Plains where our major heat waves originate. But a place like Newark could easily

reach 95 with temps a few degrees cooler at the Park. I would even say no 100 degree days this July for Newark.

The weeklies are similar to the CFS in that the warmer temperatures are toward U.S. Canadian border with cooler temperatures

to the south with plenty of troughing and convection. A rough guess between the CFS and weeklies for NYC is a 0 to +1.5

departure in NYC for July. They both agree on no extreme heat of 95 degrees or higher for Central Park since it will be

cooler than normal over the Plains where our major heat waves originate. But a place like Newark could easily

reach 95 with temps a few degrees cooler at the Park. I would even say no 100 degree days this July for Newark.

attachicon.gifCFSv2.NaT2m.20130628.201307.jpg

The period jul 1 - jul 5 looks between 3 and 5 above normal. A hotter period between jul 6 and jul 12. That stretch could see some dailies scorchers. By mid month suspect we deal with more war influence (humid).

The period jul 1 - jul 5 looks between 3 and 5 above normal. A hotter period between jul 6 and jul 12. That stretch could see some dailies scorchers. By mid month suspect we deal with more war influence (humid).

I think that the lack of heat building toward Chicago where our real heat originates will temper the heat potential

July 6-12 even though the War will be very strong. It won't be able to tap the serious heat out west for our area.

Instead the real heat will be sent up into Canada. Central Park could see 90 degree readings but

nothing like 95+ heat of the last few years. We saw how the heat this week underperformed relative

to model forecasts and it came from a better source region for strong heat here.

I think that the lack of heat building toward Chicago where our real heat originates will temper the heat potential

July 6-12 even though the War will be very strong. It won't be able to tap the serious heat out west for our area.

Instead the real heat will be sent up into Canada. Central Park could see 90 degree readings but

nothing like 95+ heat of the last few years. We saw how the heat this week underperformed relative

to model forecasts and it came from a better source region for strong heat here.

The flow looks to flatten some by next weekend and into the week of the 8th setting up westerly and some nw'rly flow of that could usher in some of that blowtorch heat.  I do agree the 12,11,10 heat likely wont be reached, epecially not in any duration, but this is a warm pattern.  I actually think the heat mon/tue was hotter than inintial forecasts and clouds/storms wed/thu was the limiting factors for the heat.  It will be interesting to track how things proceed.  Others have also pointed out this WAR should it be a sustainable feature throughout the summer opens up the risk of tropical storm impacting the area.

Archived