joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2013 Observations and Discussions

SACRUS

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not a meteorologist, can someone explain why the south shore of LI seems to always get "shafted" when it comes to thunderstorms? I live in Oceanside so I'm right above Long Beach and whenever I look at the radar (like right now) all the orange and red high DBZ stuff always goes around us but then forms right back up when it gets to the mid island or north shore. It's like we're in a protective bubble.

My town got nailed.  I'm interning at Mt Holly now but it must've been quite a torrential downpour there.  We got a CoCoRahs report of 2.36'' in Bridgewater in 1 and 2/3 hours, and that was before it ended.  Radar estimates of 2.5 to 3 inches of rain from Trenton up through western Somerset County.  Someone who lives close to me said their backyard is underwater, and we got reports of flooding on Route 31 in Pennington and Route 202 in Branchburg. 

I am not a meteorologist, can someone explain why the south shore of LI seems to always get "shafted" when it comes to thunderstorms? I live in Oceanside so I'm right above Long Beach and whenever I look at the radar (like right now) all the orange and red high DBZ stuff always goes around us but then forms right back up when it gets to the mid island or north shore. It's like we're in a protective bubble.

Marine layer makes the atmosphere more stable near the ocean on the South Shore.

For whatever reason anything with a E or NE component never seems to hit there, the W-E moving stuff I think has too much time for marine influence to get to it while the SW-NE stuff I think likes to try to try to hug land as much as it can from near the Raritan Bay area into LI which usually means it goes just north of the south shore.  It seems the storms moving from NW to SE are the ones that can hit the south shore the hardest.  I'd say overall though the storm season south of the center of the Island is more in late summer and early fall when the water is warmest.

Radar was way overdone

Not here. As soon as my area got in the yellows we started getting downpours...when the red stuff was over us it was insane. Short lived though unlike to my south and west

I'm waiting for a winterwarlock report. I'm sure he'll say it rained for 10 minutes but his area must have had at least 2 to 3"

Winterwarlocks area is getting blasted. Looks like the worst is going to over western areas.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

804 PM EDT THU JUN 27 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY NJ HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...

SOUTHEASTERN HUNTERDON COUNTY...

MERCER COUNTY...

SOUTHERN SOMERSET COUNTY...

* UNTIL MIDNIGHT EDT...

* AT 758 PM EDT...RAIN GAGE REPORTS OF UP TO 2.5 INCHES IN ONE HOUR

HAVE BEEN REPORTED IN SECTIONS OF MERCER COUNTY...ALONG WITH

ROADWAY FLOODING. DOPPLER RADAR INDICATES AN ADDITIONAL ONE INCH

OF RAIN IS POSSIBLE IN THE NEXT HOUR OR SO. A FLASH FLOOD WARNING

HAS THEREFORE BEEN ISSUED.

Yep, I'm near Warlock. Torrential rain for a few hours.

Archived