amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
June 2013 Observations and Discussions

SACRUS

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although there is some marine influence, tainting the instability near NYC and east, I really don't think it's going to be that big of a hindrance. It's still around 80/70 in most areas, and MU CAPE is still pretty high -- so it's not like storms would instantly die. Any sea-breeze boundary could help to trigger more lift despite meager mid-level lapse rates and the marine layer. Downdraft CAPE is still expected to be pretty high near NYC as time goes on. 

Unless more storms form ahead of the batch the next few hours,I think t-storm will have tendency to become more elevated as the reach NYC metro. But I can't rule out an isolated severe t-storm. Especially near boundaries.

Unless more storms form ahead of the batch the next few hours,I think t-storm will have tendency to become more elevated as the reach NYC metro. But I can't rule out an isolated severe t-storm. Especially near boundaries.

Agreed. And storms that form out ahead might get swallowed up by a main line, anyway. This is why the best tornado threat is SW of NYC -- discrete convection may last a tad longer there before getting overrun by the more synoptic, linear forcing. 

Weak mid-level lapse rates doom northeast severe weather outbreaks more often than that. It's hard to find widespread severe weather from truly long-lived severe squall lines without good mid-level lapse rates. ML CAPE is still okay, though -- largely thanks to the moisture. 

Downdraft CAPE is decent, however. Though this is where the marine layer would hurt -- weakening the low-level lapse rates and thus weakening downdraft potential. And without strong mid-level lapse rates, it might be hard to find storms/convection strong enough to promote enough mixing to get those stronger winds down to the surface in that weaker environment. Not sure if elevated convection will cut it. 

Perhaps I'm just rambling at this point. 

mcd1270.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1270   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0257 PM CDT THU JUN 27 2013   AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF THE NORTHEAST   CONCERNING...TORNADO WATCH 377...   VALID 271957Z - 272130Z   THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR TORNADO WATCH 377 CONTINUES.   SUMMARY...RISK FOR ISOLATED DAMAGING WINDS AND A TORNADO OR TWO   SHOULD GRADUALLY DEVELOP E/NEWD ACROSS PRIMARILY ERN PA/MD...DE AND   NJ. A DOWNSTREAM WW ISSUANCE IS PROBABLE BY EARLY EVENING IN   PORTIONS OF NERN PA TO SRN NY.   DISCUSSION...STRONGEST/LONGEST-LIVED HIGH REFLECTIVITY CORES HAVE   PERSISTED IMMEDIATELY AHEAD OF AN MCV CENTERED JUST S OF UNV AS OF   1945Z. CO-LOCATED WITH THE PRIMARY SURFACE CYCLONE AND WITH MODEST   SURFACE PRESSURE FALLS DOWNSTREAM...A SUPERCELL WAS NOTED EARLIER IN   JUNIATA/PERRY COUNTY PA BUT HAS SINCE DISSIPATED. SUFFICIENT   LOW/MID-LEVEL SHEAR HAS BEEN SAMPLED BY CCX VWP DATA TO SUPPORT   TRANSIENT SUPERCELL STRUCTURES AMIDST A RELATIVELY CHAOTIC   CONVECTIVE MODE. WITH ADDITIONAL TSTMS DEVELOPING IN ASSOCIATION   WITH A SECOND MCV SHIFTING NEWD ACROSS CNTRL MD AND RELATIVELY   PROMINENT CU FIELD DOWNSTREAM IN THE NORTHEAST...STRONG TO SEVERE   CONVECTION WILL LIKELY BE SUSTAINED FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL HOURS. A   CONSOLIDATED CLUSTER MAY ULTIMATELY EVOLVE NEWD WITH A RISK FOR   MAINLY DAMAGING WINDS AND PERHAPS A TORNADO.    TO THE SW OF THE MCV/S...SEVERE THREAT IS NIL AND PORTIONS OF WW IN   VA/DC COULD BE SAFELY CLEARED.   ..GRAMS.. 06/27/2013

Surface base discrete convection trying to form to our SW, as that area has lots of surface base CAPE and is still relatively far away from the main, linear forcing. The tornado threat is thus better the further SW you go, but it's certainly a good sign that surface based convection is firing that far ahead of the main boundary. That supports the SPC potentially extending the watch to the northeast.

Surface base discrete convection trying to form to our SW, as that area has lots of surface base CAPE and is still relatively far away from the main, linear forcing. The tornado threat is thus better the further SW you go, but it's certainly a good sign that surface based convection is firing that far ahead of the main boundary. That supports the SPC potentially extending the watch to the northeast.

My main concern for NYC is any of the storms will need go over the water and will probably weaken whatever does come our way.

Archived