• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
5/29 Severe Threat

CT Rain

Even if you got up there fast enough to catch the current action, this is a very difficult chase situation. It's classic SNE severe: a big tornadic HP supercell embedded in a line/complex that's moving way too fast. You have to position ahead of the line, chose your spot with care and hope for the best, then run like hell if you chose correctly and a tornado emerges suddenly out of the rain. But that's New England, it is what it is, and I'd certainly go for it if I were within 20 minutes driving range.

Blandford rest area on the Pike might be a good spot

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you may have that backward :)

Not speaking for Will, but I'm a firm believer of sever in NE and have personal experiences that atone.

You may be referring to an argument I was having with others earlier in April, when/where I was attempting to dispell the myth that since we don't have severe with the same frequency as say, Norman Oklahoma, that we should throw our hands and be on this auto-negativity pilot. Which some engage in, and it is annoying, and it is illogical, and wrong; particularly when people have died in tornadoes in New England. To mention, lightning strikes and every so often, large hail.

I don't delude myself into thinking that our severe comes with the same panache, or frequency, as it does in Tornado Alley, but to be an extremist in the other direction is irresponsible, and quite stupid for lack of better word.

Ahhh...my bad, lol.

Yeah noticed that too... looks like a touchdown in Schoharie County just before 7 p.m.

Both occurred right on the inflow notches of that QLCS.... classic QLCS spinups. 

The strongest g2g appeared to be at 6:52 with the first storm, 7 miles SSE

of Amsterdam or 7 miles WNW of Schenectady.  6:47 to 6:52 likely had the

tornado in that general location, if it matches the TDS.  The meso continued

and went right over Schenectady City at 7:05, where both a funnel cloud was

reported and tree damage occurred, but unclear if it was a small spin-up.

The second storm had a fast-developing, strong velocity signature at 6:57 near

Jefferson NY.  The next scan was still fairly strong at 7:02, when the warning

was issued.  Likely the tornado touched down near Jefferson and was in progress

when the warning was issued because the velocity signature disappeared

abruptly after 7:07, if the TDS matches the location.

As far as the East Region Offices mentioning TDS in their warnings, it's likely

that they are still getting used to it because they rarely get to deal with

tornadic storms of any kind in real-time, so looking for a debris signature

in a QLCS up in New York is unchartered territory for some of the warning

mets.  The Lancaster County PA storm of last Fall is another example.

That being said, it would be nice to see it mentioned, as it would help

the local news stations and the public with finding out about a confirmed

tornado without having to see it.

Between Stockbridge and Lenox, MA...barely getting internet but have a solid view 

There are several smaller areas of rotation further down the line south of the big bookend swirl, little hook-lets cropping up... These are almost due west of you, but they're so transient, who knows if they'll still be there when the line overtakes your position. Tough call... As I said, very difficult to chase this, but I hope you luck out.

There are several smaller areas of rotation further down the line south of the big bookend swirl, little hook-lets cropping up... These are almost due west of you, but they're so transient, who knows if they'll still be there when the line overtakes your position. Tough call... As I said, very difficult to chase this, but I hope you luck out.

Thanks!

The strongest g2g appeared to be at 6:52 with the first storm, 7 miles SSE

of Amsterdam or 7 miles WNW of Schenectady.  6:47 to 6:52 likely had the

tornado in that general location, if it matches the TDS.  The meso continued

and went right over Schenectady City at 7:05, where both a funnel cloud was

reported and tree damage occurred, but unclear if it was a small spin-up.

The second storm had a fast-developing, strong velocity signature at 6:57 near

Jefferson NY.  The next scan was still fairly strong at 7:02, when the warning

was issued.  Likely the tornado touched down near Jefferson and was in progress

when the warning was issued because the velocity signature disappeared

abruptly after 7:07, if the TDS matches the location.

As far as the East Region Offices mentioning TDS in their warnings, it's likely

that they are still getting used to it because they rarely get to deal with

tornadic storms of any kind in real-time, so looking for a debris signature

in a QLCS up in New York is unchartered territory for some of the warning

mets.  The Lancaster County PA storm of last Fall is another example.

That being said, it would be nice to see it mentioned, as it would help

the local news stations and the public with finding out about a confirmed

tornado without having to see it.

The Lancaster County storm had a TDS for >20 minutes and never had a tornado warning on it. The thing was clear as day. That I'll never understand other than either the radar operator/warning forecaster wasn't trained on how to use dual pol or he/she just never looked. 

I was right where the marker is on this radar... missed the strongest winds at the very beginning of the storm on the camera (heaviest winds were right out before the heavy rain), but still pretty much a breezy thundershower.  Pretty heavy rain though. 

http://www.backtotheearthgroup.com/scottb/Weather2012/Weather2013/May_29_Front.MOV

http://www.backtotheearthgroup.com/scottb/Weather2012/Weather2013/May_29_Backyard3.MOV

May_29_Delmar_radar.gif

Scooter/Ekster..looking at mesoanalysis..the enviro is ripe to keep those things in tact even to coast in some fashion. You think they stey can stay strong thru much of the interior..That bow is taking on a SE component last couple of frames

You should be keeping an eye on that thing about to hit Hudson NY. Still a pretty nice airmass in northern CT.

Scooter/Ekster..looking at mesoanalysis..the enviro is ripe to keep those things in tact even to coast in some fashion. You think they stey can stay strong thru much of the interior..That bow is taking on a SE component last couple of frames

There is some elevated instabilty, but no doubt surface instability is fueling this as the outflow acts like a massive shovel and lifts the air into the atmosphere. Decent shear would support this moving east, but it may weaken a bit.

Edit, referring to ern areas. Nrn CT has a decent atmosphere to support surface based parcels.

Archived