Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Plains tornado threat Mon 5/27-Fri 5/31

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marysville appears to have dodged a bullet. Storm to the south of that looks nice, bit of a hook/curvature to it, and it's not in that conjumbled mess of storms to the north.

EDIT: Reports that the John Deere dealership is "gone" and "completely destroyed."

That's implies it continued through the middle of Marysville if it didn't lift

The dealership is west of town. Marysville appears to have escaped relatively unscathed.

Brad Nichols ‏@85thstormchaser 10m
Going through Marysville, KS now, had to remove signs from roadway, no power in town, but seems to be ok.

The 0Z GFS shows a significant severe weather event across western and central Oklahoma on Wednesday.

Thursday and Friday also look to be in the game as well, just a series of jet streaks plowing through the Southern Plains.

At about the 2:06 mark something hits the windshield, cracks it, and makes a spark.  I really don't think I would want to be in that thing with any sort of debris in the air, but the video is amazing. 

Evidently the turret door flew off when they were in this one and a piece of wood flew into it via the turret door according to Sean Casey on Twitter.

I presume he has some sort of air pressure sensor? I doubt any sort of external anemometer would have survived that.

It didn't. It says on the youtube video page that the winds got up to 150-175 MPH before the instrumentation flew off. 

It didn't. It says on the youtube video page that the winds got up to 150-175 MPH before the instrumentation flew off. 

i would have liked to have seen what the actual pressure was inside of there and the actual pressure gradient between the center and environment, if for anything else to know if it fits what the basic dynamics equations would dictate, or if they are low or high.

I too would like to see the pressure data. Given the windspeeds pre failure and the pressure data, you can get a pretty good crack at the max windspeeds and the pressure structure inside. I remember that Tim Samaras did this after his ground disc probe got ran over a few years back.

Archived