Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was nice to track a actual major hurricane, even if it was in pacific. 

Agreed, it was fun for me too. Hopefully the people in the area are prepared since the center looks to be going further north than the models had forecasted just earlier today.

- Shantou might get some serious serge if it makes landfall just to the south and over 13 million live in the area

Agreed, it was fun for me too. Hopefully the people in the area are prepared since the center looks to be going further north than the models had forecasted just earlier today.

- Shantou might get some serious serge if it makes landfall just to the south and over 13 million live in the area

Yep-- agreed!  I just researched that area, and this cluster of cities-- called Chaoshan-- has almost 14 million people and looks to be right in the crosshairs.

This is kind of serious, because the faster, earlier landfall also means it's going to come ashore a little stronger than expected-- probably a really solid Cat 2.

Usagi is definitely hitting a populated area. I put the latest color imagery on top of a GE satellite image. The city of Shantou should be experiencing quite a surge from this. 

To get your bearings - Taiwan is far right and Hong Kong is far left.

Usagi is definitely hitting a populated area. I put the latest color imagery on top of a GE satellite image. The city of Shantou should be experiencing quite a surge from this. 

To get your bearings - Taiwan is far right and Hong Kong is far left.

Cool map!  If it continues its NW heading, that's going to be a really serious impact, with strong onshore flow in an extremely-densely-populated region.

And, like I said, the earlier landfall means it will be stronger.

Radar and satellite imagery indicate that Typhoon USAGI's pinhole eye is now crossing the China coast, near Hudong Harbor, just E of Jieshizhen (~22.8N 115.9E). The JTWC puts the intensity at 95 knots (110 mph)-- a strong Cat 2 on the scale we use in the Atlantic. The is a densely-populated region and millions of people are now experiencing dangerous hurricane conditions. Contrary to expectation, the cyclone's core completely missed Hong Kong.

post-19-0-95283700-1379844380_thumb.jpg

Did Typhoon Hunter head east to get into the core?

He stayed put in Hong Kong. He actually has a multi-use visa that allows him to go in and out of China at will, but he was exhausted from the Taiwan portion of the chase, and also he wanted to see the effects in his hometown.

Speaking of Hong Kong... As Geos suggested, it looks like the core passed close to them earlier, and it was fairly intact, so they probably got some decent conditions, despite it being inland and weakening.

He stayed put in Hong Kong. He actually has a multi-use visa that allows him to go in and out of China at will, but he was exhausted from the Taiwan portion of the chase, and also he wanted to see the effects in his hometown.

Speaking of Hong Kong... As Geos suggested, it looks like the core passed close to them earlier, and it was fairly intact, so they probably got some decent conditions, despite it being inland and weakening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXhxcqtBNis

That is understandable. I was hoping to see a little 90 knot eyewall action :)

That is understandable. I was hoping to see a little 90 knot eyewall action :)

Me, too-- I'll bet it was pretty hawt in those cities near the landfall point.   :D   I asked him about it-- I was like, "Ya know, it'll come ashore not that far from you..."  But I totally, totally know how annoying it can be to have someone back-seat chase from 5,000 miles away, so I just hushed up. :D I get his decision.  

I cross-referenced two radars, visible, and IR imagery, and I had it a little E of there (see above). I know the JTWC said Shanwei, but that's just not what I got.

Yeah I see it was on that peninsula near the town of Dishuican. Then the eye headed into that bay south of Lufeng.

Pretty cool video! haha

Edit: Now if we can get some Atlantic action to track!

Yeah I see it was on that peninsula near the town of Dishuican. Then the eye headed into that bay south of Lufeng.

Yep-- totally.  The landfall point I worked out (~22.8N 115.9E) is right at that town.  I'm not sure I'm right, but that's what I came up with.

Either way, I like those overlay maps you made-- pretty cool.

Haha thanks Josh for updating here! It's been a full on 3 day mad chase across east Asia to try and document Usagi as best as possible. On Thursday we purchased tickets to get to Basco island early Friday morning between Luzon and Taiwan. However we were concerned the flight might be cancelled and model guidance had it passing north of there so we bailed on that plan. The Basco flight was indeed cancelled in the end so we made right call.

Instead we (Jim Edds and I) decided to have a crack at the cat 5 wave action in extreme south of Taiwan. Flew to Taipei early Friday and drove 6 hours south to Kenting and holed up there for night. Saturday morning winds were really starting to howl and we started working the coast, found a small fishing harbour exposed to east and it was getting hammered by surge. Filmed fishing boats getting destroyed and we ended up have to pluck a fisherman out of the water as he was getting swept away! It made for pretty crazy video.

We then bailed on the storm far earlier than I usually would and raced north to get back to Taipei for a flight back to Hong Kong, since at that time tracks were looking good for a big hit here. We made it back exhausted and prepared ourselves for round 2. Obviously it ended up hitting way up the coast. We wouldn't have had to to make the sudden relocation (organizing a car etc out of Shenzhen would have taken a while) so just decided to drink tea and work the storm in my back yard! :D

This was my 3rd encounter with a typhoon Usagi, I filmed 2007's version in S Japan. Despite not getting into the eyewall Jim and I achieved everything we set out to do in Taiwan which was to capture the surge and waves and their effect on the local population there. Time for a beer...

Archived