Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, there is this station on the island, but I don't know where. Most likely at the airport or the harbor. The hourly updates show sustained at 112 mph during the eyewall hour. The last update was 922.7 mb (27.25inHg) with winds NW @ 15 (I assume the eye, or the instrument broke.)

http://www.wunderground.com/history/station/98134/2013/9/21/DailyHistory.html

Well, there is this station on the island, but I don't know where. Most likely at the airport or the harbor. The hourly updates show sustained at 112 mph during the eyewall hour. The last update was 922.7 mb (27.25inHg) with winds NW @ 15 (I assume the eye, or the instrument broke.)

http://www.wunderground.com/history/station/98134/2013/9/21/DailyHistory.html

I was wondering if that 97 kt was sustained.  If it is, can we assume it's a 10-min reading, since that's what everyone else uses?  If so, yowee!

The wind device must have broken.  They're not in the eye, because the pressure was much lower before, and they shouldn't be experiencing a lull with the pressure up 10 mb like that-- they should be on the backside getting raked.

EDIT:  A met whom I respect says the 922 mb was from inside the eye-- in which case, I don't know what the 912 mb is.  I'm confused.

It's really steadily maintaining this beautiful double-eyewall structure, with a really well-defined moat separating the two.  Pretty awesome:

attachicon.gif2013-09-21_0952.MOS0.jpg

Times like this I wish the various nations of the region would cooperatively maintain a couple of WC-130 type aircraft.  It could include Australia, be a joint operation with military partners, and the planes could move between hemispheres depending on the season.  I'd love to see a wind graphic through the moat and inner eye wall.

Times like this I wish the various nations of the region would cooperatively maintain a couple of WC-130 type aircraft.  It could include Australia, be a joint operation with military partners, and the planes could move between hemispheres depending on the season.  I'd love to see a wind graphic through the moat and inner eye wall.

Yeah, I'm wondering also how it plays out on the ground.  I'm pretty sure there'd be distinct double-wind maxima, with a semi-lull between them.  The data from Batan Island don't show that-- however, the observations are hourly, so they're temporally too coarse to show cool details like that.

The cyclone's definitely not looking as hawt now-- on IR or Taiwan radar. On the latter, you can see the inner eyewall finally starting to "give in" and collapse into the outer one.  I think we'll have a single, large eye within 6 hr.

(But for the NATL, this would of course be extremely hawt.  It's all relative, of course.)

Archived