Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is definitely strengthening, but the mountains of china will start to interact with him soon

I don't know that that's strengthening as much as it is simply the cyclone coming closer to the radar site and therefore showing up better.

Could you share a link to that radar view?  All I can find is the wide one showing all of China.  Thanks.

I don't know that that's strengthening as much as it is simply the cyclone coming closer to the radar site and therefore showing up better.

Could you share a link to that radar view?  All I can find is the wide one showing all of China.  Thanks.

http://andrew.rsmas.miami.edu/bmcnoldy/tropics/usagi13/Usagi_21-22Sep13_china.gif

Ryan Maue @RyanMaue 1m

h/t awesomeness @BMcNoldy long-range radar loop GIF of Typhoon #Usagi as it approaches Hong Kong. http://andrew.rsmas.miami.edu/bmcnoldy/tropics/usagi13/Usagi_21-22Sep13_china.gif 

Thanks, yoda-- but do you have the link on the site where Brian's getting the images?

Sure http://www.weather.com.cn/html/radar/JC_RADAR_AZ9754_JB.shtml

Yea, It think it is a combination of both, but satellite looks much better now as-well

- Many of the late 18z CHP models keep it as a Cat 3 now till landfall (as opposed to a Cat 2 consensus earlier)

You can see the double... possibly tripple eyewall structure that Usagi has right now. Thats not a very conducive structure to further wind intensification, as the vorticity is not focused near the center but rather in these outer eyewall bands. This is always a problem for storms that originate with a large outer wind maxima. Once the inner core of its initial RI fades, its VERY difficult for the outer core to contract sufficiently to allow another episode of intensification. This is a problem with many large WPAC typhoons that struggle to recover after their initial RI to super typhoon status. 

You can see the double... possibly tripple eyewall structure that Usagi has right now. Thats not a very conducive structure to further wind intensification, as the vorticity is not focused near the center but rather in these outer eyewall bands. This is always a problem for storms that originate with a large outer wind maxima. Once the inner core of its initial RI fades, its VERY difficult for the outer core to contract sufficiently to allow another episode of intensification. This is a problem with many large WPAC typhoons that struggle to recover after their initial RI to super typhoon status. 

Yep-- it's the Cinnabun Syndrome.  I forgot which one it was, but last year one of these typhoons with twenty concentric eyewalls passed over Okinawa Island, and even though the pressure was in the 930s, I don't think the airport even had a sustained hurricane wind.  It was crazy.

Watching these radars makes you really appreciate NOAA NEXRAD radars. Of course the ones in China and Taiwan are much better than the one from Martinique. 

lol I was thinking the same thing, even there satellite images are pretty bad. You think there meteorologists are using NOAA products vs their own countries?

Archived